Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#71972 - 04/19/06 01:09 PM My 1070 impressions and a small issue
Corndog71 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago
So it's been a few weeks with the 1070 and overall I'm very happy with my purchase. This is my first surround receiver though I've been an audiophile for over 10 years. This thing is built like a tank! The recent software upgrade was a breeze to implement.

This thing sounds more powerful than 65 watts/ch! It even sounds more powerful although not as transparent as my 60w/ch Bryston B-60 integrated. I have noticed a bit of upper midrange glare through my Definitive Technology Studio Monitors that I did not hear though the B-60 so you may want a warmer sounding speaker to match properly. It could be my Sony CD/DVD changer as I don't hear it from my xbox custom soundtracks. It's not a deal breaker by any means. I'm thinking about trying different speakers for my home theater anyway.

I would also like to give kudos for the flexibility of the 1070. It's mind-boggling how many different settings there are to choose from and all easily changed from the remote!

One thing I wish I could find in any receiver/preamp would be the ability to switch just the video sources while still being able to hear the currently selected source. There are times when I'm into a piece of music but want to flip channels on my VCR to see if anything good is on TV or maybe continue a game on xbox with my own soundtrack. One can dream right?

I love the upconverting video outputs! My xbox games have never looked so good! I currently run an S-video cable from the monitor out to my old sony 32" tv as well as component video to my projector. I noticed an issue I'm having with my two VCRs. I have a newer Sony VCR and a Panasonic VCR that's a few years old. Neither of which seem to be able to pass a clean signal through the 1070. Both end up stripping off the color and give me b/w images or flickering color artifacts. I'm mostly sure it's not the receiver as I've had no such problems with my xbox or DVD player and I've tried switching around the different video inputs. Both VCRs output the video signal through composite connections. I now run the VCR video directly to my TV with no such problems. Any ideas?

Again I do want to say this is a fantastic receiver. I look forward to enjoying many movies through the 1070!

#71973 - 04/19/06 04:55 PM Re: My 1070 impressions and a small issue
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The behavior you describe with the VCR's soulds a lot like what happens when an s-video connection is loose or damaged (losing the chroma data). Could there be a problem with the s-video cable running to your TV?

#71974 - 04/21/06 11:22 AM Re: My 1070 impressions and a small issue
Corndog71 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago
Regarding my video issues, I solved them by repositioning my antenna. Sometimes it's the simplest things.

I also switched out my Definitive monitors (which are perhaps a bit too revealing) with a pair of Polk R30 towers. The Polk speakers turned out to be a much better match with the 1070. FYI

Rob C

Who's Online
0 registered (), 135 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts