Hi guys,
I still love the 990. It is a little sharper in the highs than the Meridian 861 I had but I think it is great. I just wish the remote was a learning remote since my pronto tsu 3000 died. Anyway I just purchased the toshiba hd-A1 and I am running the analogue connections for HD and the digital coax for SD dvd's. You guys are missing out. The dolby true HD with the 990 in 7.1 direct is stunning. This sounds better than anything I have ever heard, period. The Meridian can't touch this. So clear, so dynamic, and very smooth. The picture is a no brainer. This also works great with sd DVD's. The upconversion is top notch and better than my previous dvd player. The sound is better as well in this dvd player. You can run this in 7.1 direct mode as well and I think it is still better than the digital coax but very close. I am splitting the left rear channel into the left side and rear into the 7.1 with a y splitter, same goes for the other side. The surround effects is still great and you can hardly tell it from prologic 2x. I purchased mine for $290 and that is what I would have spend for a normal DVD player. I don't ever want to go back to sd DVD's so HD dvd better make some of the titles I want and blue ray better start lowering their prices(in due time) so I can get one of those as well. I am very impressed. I was switching back and forth from hd dvd and espn HD football last night and the picture is about the same. Some digital artifacts with my cable box and none with the HD dvd. For the price this is a must. Even if HD dvd and blue ray fail you get a high quality, great upconverting, and great sounding dvd player. Can go wrong, except the load times when first powering up.