I'm new to multi channel & am trying to get a grip on cabling & interconnects in anticipation of receiving an invite to buy (I received my confirmation on my intent to buy 46 minutes after it opened back in April - I'm not part of the 1st shipment). I have a great 2 channel system, but adding video, digital & optical outputs are new to me so I'm gathering up a list of cables I'll need to buy once I get my 990.

In looking through the manual, I see the various inputs/outputs. Initially, I'll be connecting the unit to the following devices:

AMP: Outlaw 7100 (I'll order it at the same time)
Projector: Panasonic AE700 - HDMI
DVD Player: Panasonic DV-37 - no DVI but component & optical
STB: Probably a LST-4200A (DVI)
PC: USB
Down the road - MPEG-4 D* Receiver & TIVO

So I'm trying to come up with a cable list, here's what I'm thinking:

Audio DVD – 990: Optical or Coax?
Video DVD – 990: Component
990 – 7100: 7 Audio Cables (RCA)
990 – Projector: DVI to HDMI cable
7100 – Speakers: In-wall (existing) speaker cable
990 – Powered Subwoofer: In-wall Coax (RCA terminals)
990 – Second Powered Subwoofer Amp: Coax (RCA terminal)
LST-4200A – 990: DVI to DVI

How does this sound? Am I missing anything here? I am particularly curious about optical cables, I know nothing about them. Are they recommended over a digital (Coax) connection for audio (it will be a short run).

Also, in reading the manual, I see the 990 has DC triggers. If I want to connect the 990 to the 7100 (I see it has a trigger output as well), where do I find such a cable? And the second trigger output can be used for a video input, such as a projector. I don’t have my projector yet (I’ll be ordering it in a week or so), do most projectors now come with triggers?

I’ve been building a home theater for seemingly forever, it is now at the completion stage (acoustic treatments are going in now, then finishing touches like chairs, carpeting & screen). As I mentioned, I have no multi channel equipment as of yet (except for the speakers I bought – an ACI 7.1 setup). So I’m really anxious to get an invite to purchase the 990 soon – after all the work I’ve done, the family wants to see the results. The credit card is going to get a workout in the next couple of weeks!