Hi all,

I wondered if there was any possibility of a software upgrade to the 990 that would allow decoding of the new digital audio formats (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD). I searched around and found this thread , which didn't look promising.

However, I also found a recent press release from Toshiba that seems to indicate that DD+ and DTS-HD content will be output over S/PDIF:

"The new HD DVD players can pass digital information to a Surround Sound Processor/Receiver via S/PDIF or HDMI. For Dolby Digital and DTS, the bitstream will be passed through both connections just as in a standard DVD player with the same interfaces. Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD content will be converted to a standard bitstream format that is compatible with any processor equipped with decoders of the respective formats and output through S/PDIF and HDMI. Additionally, all the audio formats for either DVD or HD DVD will be decoded to PCM and output via HDMI in either stereo or multi-channel."

So, I wondered if there was any hope of having the 990 handle the decoding of DD+ and DTS-HD. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bill