Received my 990 on the 24th , but was not able to install/setup until Friday, the 27th...needed to wait for two crown amps to arrive to power the surrounds and rear surrounds. Was using a yamaha 5760 and two crown amps to power the fronts and center before reading about the 990.... dvi switching is what ultimately made me decide to give the outlaw a try, have a projector ceiling mounted and prewired a dvi and component cable from mount point to rack as part of home theater design....since the HD output of the Direct Tv HD receiver was using the dvi cable the 990 would allow me to start using dvi with a dvd player. The first thing noticed was I could hear a lot more details in movie tracks with the 990 compared to the 5760, I also preferred the sound....hard to describe, more details at low volumes, and easier to listen to at high volumes...don't know maybe this is what people describe as "warm". The first 3 times I ran auto setup it would go through the tests, then fail saying the fronts were small and surrounds were large, try swapping them...not sure why it detected this, truth is opposite, but after I powered down and tried one more time, it seemed to work fine. One minor issue I have is that the remote button to change surround formats only goes in 1 direction, if you toggle between DPLiix-movie and DPLiix-music, to get back you need to cycle through all the other formats...like I said minor. Also, as others stated, having the setup menu on the front panel would be nice....especially for those who use projectors, found myself wishing I did not have to turn on the projector each time I wanted to use the setup menu. Last night decided to give dvi switching a go, and ran into my first "real" problem...though it is probably not a 990 problem. I found that when using dvi switching all channels had a distinct hum when at low volumes or when selecting an unused input. Had read about ground loops before (though never heard hums with the yamaha), so after reading and troubleshooting, found two culprits....first the obvious..sat coax cable, was able to get rid of this by running the cable through the coax in/out on my power strip, the second problem, was a little more challanging to find. Turns out since the projector is ceiling mounted, and using an outlet created for it on the ceiling, it must not be on the same circuit as the rest of the a/v equipment. When I unplug the projector, hum goes away...also if I run an extension from the projector to the second outlet of the box the a/v gear is plugged into, no hum. If I decide to keep the 990 looks like I will have to run a power cable down to the a/v outlet..I know it can be covered and painted the same color as ceiling/wall, but since I knew this room would be the theater room, had everything prewired/run to keep as clean as possible. Need to test more today to verify connecting projector to a/v outlet gets rid of hum. Anyone else deal with this before, and have another solution to running a long power cable.

Thanks,

John