Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#84350 - 07/25/10 11:43 AM 990 connection with new Sansung Bluray
novice Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Virginia
I purchased a new sansung bluray and based on advise from the outlaw tech staff did what i thought was simple hookup. I was replacing the previous DVD so the hdmi hookup was simply a pull the plug out of one unit and then replace it in the the new bluray. The tech told me to use analog cable from the bluray to the receiver. None of this seemed difficult. Now I can play the bluray on the tv but I cant get the tv to work and when the dvd is playing I am only getting the sound from the tv not my speakers. I pulled the receiver electical plug out for 5 minutes and then put it back in. The TV came back on but still sound only from the TV. The next morning the tv would not work and pulling the electrical connection trick did not work. For a brief instant it looked the like there was some kind of message on the tv screen but it went away in an instant. Does anyone have any idea what i might be doing wrong?

#84352 - 07/25/10 03:45 PM Re: 990 connection with new Sansung Bluray [Re: novice]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
A few things:

Since you are getting sound from the TV, your HDMI signal is working all the way through (the 990's DVI switching is passing the audio from the BD player to the TV). If you don't want that, you can either mute the TV, turn the TV's speaker volume down to zero, or disable the TV's speakers entirely. (I usually do the latter since I never use my TV's speakers.)

When you connected the analog audio cables from the Samsung player to the 990, you are using the 7.1 Direct input. Your DVD player was almost certainly configured on a different input (DVD most likely, or maybe one of the Video inputs). You will need to assign the DVI input (DVI1 or DVI2) that you are using to the video source for the 7.1 Direct input, and then you'll need to select "7.1D" on the remote instead of the other video input you were using (DVD, most likely). At that point, you'll get the audio from the player to the 990 over analog.

If none of that helps, please let us know. Many of the tips in my 990/BDP-83 setup guide also apply for your Samsung player and the 990, so that page may be a useful reference.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts