Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#83185 - 04/01/10 11:51 AM 990 and BDP-83SE and 2 channel DVD-Audio Settings?
miked2 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: illinois
I listen to music and concerts in 2 channel mode because I prefer the quality of sound that my main tower speakers produce. I read Gonk’s guide for connecting the 990 with the BDP-83SE using the 5.1/7.1 analog audio inputs on the 990. I was curious if the same settings (with a few alterations) still hold true for connecting the BDP-83SE’s 2 channel analog audio outputs to the 990’s 2 channel analog audio inputs. I plan on using the 990’s DVD two channel analog audio inputs and DVI-2 digital video input. My concern is that I read if the 2 channel analog audio inputs on a receiver does any kind of analog to digital conversion it will sound terrible. If I set the 990’s audio input to DVD analog audio in bypass mode is there any A/D/A conversion? Also, the 990’s user manual mentions that in bypass mode the video circuitry is deactivated. Does that mean if I’m playing a DVD-audio in 2 channel analog audio with bypass mode activated I won’t be able to see the DVD-audio’s menus? I realize if the answer to my question is yes, I could always switch between stereo and bypass mode in order to view the menu, but I’m still curious because that also will have a negative effect in watching DVD concerts in 2 channels. One last question which has nothing to do with using bypass mode, is the 990’s bass management for analog input signals, digital or analog? Thanks in advance.

#83189 - 04/02/10 07:24 AM Re: 990 and BDP-83SE and 2 channel DVD-Audio Settings? [Re: miked2]
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
The 990 will do an A/D/A conversion in order to apply bass & distance management to a stereo signal.
IMHO, however, it doesn't effect the sound quality.
I don't know of any way to use bypass and maintain a video signal, that would defeat the purpose of using bypass instead of regular stereo.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#83195 - 04/02/10 05:01 PM Re: 990 and BDP-83SE and 2 channel DVD-Audio Settings? [Re: miked2]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: miked2
I was curious if the same settings (with a few alterations) still hold true for connecting the BDP-83SE’s 2 channel analog audio outputs to the 990’s 2 channel analog audio inputs. I plan on using the 990’s DVD two channel analog audio inputs and DVI-2 digital video input. My concern is that I read if the 2 channel analog audio inputs on a receiver does any kind of analog to digital conversion it will sound terrible.

I wouldn't expect it to sound "terrible" - the 990's A/D/A path is better than that. It may not be optimal, though.

If I set the 990’s audio input to DVD analog audio in bypass mode is there any A/D/A conversion?

The "bypass" mode will disable the A/D/A processing for the stereo analog input, so if you set the DVD input to use analog audio and the same DVI input that the 7.1 Direct input is using, the 990 will serve as an analog pre-amp.

Also, the 990’s user manual mentions that in bypass mode the video circuitry is deactivated. Does that mean if I’m playing a DVD-audio in 2 channel analog audio with bypass mode activated I won’t be able to see the DVD-audio’s menus? I realize if the answer to my question is yes, I could always switch between stereo and bypass mode in order to view the menu, but I’m still curious because that also will have a negative effect in watching DVD concerts in 2 channels.

I didn't use bypass mode much when I had my 990, but I don't remember the video switching being disabled when bypass was engaged and I don't remember anybody else mentioning that, either. Where did you see that in the manual?

One last question which has nothing to do with using bypass mode, is the 990’s bass management for analog input signals, digital or analog? Thanks in advance.

The Model 990's bass management is performed solely in the digital domain. You can see exactly what the Model 990 does for various situations here. For the case of small front speakers, a subwoofer, and a stereo analog source set to "bypass" mode, the first table on that page shows that the front speakers and the sub both get a full range signal.

#83258 - 04/08/10 05:28 PM Re: 990 and BDP-83SE and 2 channel DVD-Audio Settings? [Re: gonk]
miked2 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: illinois
That's all great news. The 990 will do what I was hoping it would do, which is basically nothing.

In regards to bypass mode being a true & pure bypass mode; I shouldn't have said it would sound "terrible", just not as good if there was any kind of digital processing going on. I rather maintain a pure analog signal to my speakers once the BDP-83SE does its part.

In regards to the video circuitry being disabled in bypass mode; this is stated on page 14 of the manual under the heading "Bypass". I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I guess I will find out once I give it a try.

My BDP-83SE is in route to my home and I haven't been this excited since I ordered my 990.

Thanks Gonk and Koyaan for your help.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts