Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#67607 - 02/23/08 01:50 AM Dead Center Channel - Help - Dissappointed in Warranty Service
Bass Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tallahassee, Florida
A month ago or so, I started noticing that the center channel on my 990 (purchased Summer of 2007) was fading in and out and there were frequent pops and other static. I did a search in the Saloon and picked up some trouble shooting tips. By swapping interconnects, I determined that it wasn't the amp. I uploaded the latest software, but that didn't correct the problem. I switched out interconnects, but that didn't work either.

So, I called the Outlaws and spoke with customer service. I was issued a return authorization and I shipped the 990 (at my cost) 2 day FedEx. (I was eager to get the process started). The CSR was very polite as he spoke with me about my situation. He said it could take up to a month to repair and return.

To my surprise and joy, I received an email 6 days after Outlaw received the unit, that the unit was being shipped back. I was thrilled it wasn't going take a month.

To my great DISSAPOINTMENT, though, my 990 was not been fixed. The center is now completely DEAD!! No sound whatsoever. I am so frustrated. The worst thing is I couldn't set up the unit until tonight because I didn't have time during week, so now I can't talk to anybody until Monday because customer service is not open over the weekend.

ARRRRGGH! mad

#67608 - 02/23/08 04:27 AM Re: Dead Center Channel - Help - Dissappointed in Warranty Service
Otto Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Longmont, Colorado
Hi Bass,

Is it possible that it's the speaker itself? Have you run that center from the left or right channel of the amp? (presumably those other channels aren't having any problems).

How do you mean by "by swapping interconnects, I determined that it wasn't the amp"? Does that mean that you sent the center output of the 990 to a different channel on your amp, when then fed the center channel speaker? Essentially trying a different amplifier channel?

You swapped interconnects, and it didn't solve the problem.

How about checking for stray or loose speaker cables? From the amp to the center channel itself, are all connections tight? Is it possible that there's a stray strand of wire that's intermittently shorting between the + and - (most likely red and black) connections, either at the amplifier end or the speaker end?

Anyway, just some ideas for troubleshooting.

#67609 - 02/23/08 10:25 PM Re: Dead Center Channel - Help - Dissappointed in Warranty Service
Bass Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the comments, Otto.

I took the center channel interconnect from the 990 and connected it to the right channel of the amp and then took the right channel interconnect from the 990 and connected it to the center channel of the amp. As a result, I had complete and full sound coming through the center speaker but then nothing coming through the right speaker. I did the same to the left channel, same result. There is no signal at all coming from the center channel output of the 990. The center speaker works fine if a signal gets to it.

Very frustrating.

Best,

#67610 - 02/24/08 02:58 AM Re: Dead Center Channel - Help - Dissappointed in Warranty Service
Otto Offline
Gunslinger

And since you swapped cables to make sure they weren't the problem, it sounds like your 990 has a dead center output. Time to call Customer Service again...

#67611 - 02/24/08 03:49 PM Re: Dead Center Channel - Help - Dissappointed in Warranty Service
Bass Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I am guess my unit fell through the cracks and was never serviced and somehow someone made a mistake and put it in the repaired pile, though when it was returned to me it contained a pack of Outlaw playing cards . . .

I just hate the thought of having to pay for outgoing shipping again . . .

Thanks for your thoughts, Otto.

#67612 - 02/24/08 04:45 PM Re: Dead Center Channel - Help - Dissappointed in Warranty Service
Otto Offline
Gunslinger

Yeah, take that up with them. I bet they'll cover shipping since the first attempt didn't fix it.

#67613 - 02/24/08 07:42 PM Re: Dead Center Channel - Help - Dissappointed in Warranty Service
Bass Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

That is what I hope. Thanks.

#67614 - 02/24/08 08:24 PM Re: Dead Center Channel - Help - Dissappointed in Warranty Service
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
Does your amp have both XLR and RCA connections? If so, you might try the interconnect you're not currently using to see if that fixes the problem. Not an ideal fix, but might get you by until Outlaw resolves the issue.

#67615 - 02/25/08 02:50 AM Re: Dead Center Channel - Help - Dissappointed in Warranty Service
Bass Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

AvFan . . That's a great workaround idea, but I have the 7075.

#67616 - 02/25/08 09:19 PM Re: Dead Center Channel - Help - Dissappointed in Warranty Service
Alexandru Mihaita Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Springfield, PA
Probably you have already checked this one up, but it won't hurt asking...
Isn't the center speaker, by any chance, set to NONE in the speaker setup menu?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 92 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts