Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#67621 - 02/26/08 06:43 PM Got Surround Blues, help??
UMtiger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis, TN
This seemed to be the best place to come to for advice and help with my lip sync problem before I appease the wife and sell my 990/7500 combo, referred to "as nothing but a problem since you bought it". I have always been a critical 2-channel listener, but decided to expand into the surround arena recently, hence the combo. I must state for the record that this system bests my old NAD equipment for 2-channel, it sounds great.

Now the nightmare; I have a continuous lip sync problem on cable and 4 out of every 5 movies. There is no rhyme or reason, sometimes the audio is ahead but MOST times the audio lags behind the video. I posted this awhile back in another forum but to no response. I really could use any insight you guys have to offer, because I am totally frustrated with this situation.

Here's an interesting side note, when I play any source with the 990 set to stereo there is no delay at all. Not what I bought the 990 for, to play everything in stereo.

My equipment aside from the Outlaw, is Pioneer DVD and Panasonic plasma. And I did use the auto set up of the 990.

Thanks in advance guys ------------

UMtiger

#67622 - 02/26/08 08:16 PM Re: Got Surround Blues, help??
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego, CA
It sounds like you have the same issue with two sources, cable or DVD, both exhibiting lip synch delays. Did you try to use a different input option, ie switch to coax instead of optical?

I have not experienced lip synch delay on my dvd, also a Pioneer. but I have occasionally had my cable exhibit a lip synch delay and found that the HDMI power on sequence would sometimes throw the optical out of synch and by going into the cable box settings and toggling the audio outputs from digital to analog and back, the synch was immediately fixed. This is a random issue for me that is easily fixed. I recommend you also look at your power on sequence because the HDMI outputs of the cable box and the time the TV takes to acquire the signal could be your culprit, assuming your using HDMI.

#67623 - 02/26/08 08:21 PM Re: Got Surround Blues, help??
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
UMtiger, this isn't help but a sharing of concern. I too have a Pioneer DVD and Panasonic plasma, plus a Scientific Atlanta cable box (you didn't say what yours is), and not yet having any surround gear I run everything in stereo. Never any lip sync problems with movies from the Pioneer and anly occasional, slight-to-mild sync delays on cable stuff. The audio seems to lag the video. Since it's unpredictable, mild at worst, and not on serious entertainment material (if that even makes sense), I've not tried to correct it. But when/if I ac

#67624 - 02/26/08 08:28 PM Re: Got Surround Blues, help??
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
(Oops - hit wrong key)
-quire surround amp channels and speakers and then have your problems I'm going to be a VERY unhappy camper, so I hope you can get them sorted out.
What happens if you run stuff in various surround modes but with stereo-only connections? I think I'll try that myself when time permits, and report the results, especially if there's noticeable liplag.

#67625 - 02/26/08 10:17 PM Re: Got Surround Blues, help??
UMtiger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis, TN
thanks guys
I am not running HDMI, and the dvd is optical, I do not have it hooked coax so haven't tried that.

I am not sure what you mean running surround modes with a stereo hook up.

Remember my problem is mainly audio lags video, very rare but seems to be my problem, and yes I am a Very Unhappy camper.

#67626 - 02/27/08 12:02 AM Re: Got Surround Blues, help??
edcon Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, South Carolina
alphanstein,

For the issue you outlined above "the time the TV takes to acquire the signal could be your culprit" What is the prefered sequence for power up?

#67627 - 02/27/08 12:37 AM Re: Got Surround Blues, help??
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by edcon:
alphanstein,

For the issue you outlined above "the time the TV takes to acquire the signal could be your culprit" What is the prefered sequence for power up?
I defaulted to leaving the cable box on all the time, then the 990 comes on followed by the TV which takes about 4-5 secs to power on and acquire the HDMI signal. This is all done via Macro on my Harmony 880 remote now.

My switch from coax to optical did not solve the occasional lip synch issue and hence me leaving the cable box on always. Getting to the stable settings I have now took a matter of months of trial and error, tweaking, tuning etc. But I actually like to dabble and then get it "perfect" for me, then sorta set it and forget it which is what it has been for the past 6 months plus.

I have a SA8300HD DVR, Philips 42" LCD, 990, 770 amp, and Pioneer DV79, SMS-1, all programmed with macros for the settings for various modes.

#67628 - 02/27/08 01:21 AM Re: Got Surround Blues, help??
edcon Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, South Carolina
Interesting,
Much like you I have no issue with DVD..I have been experiencing lip sync issues with my direct TV satellite HR-20-700. May be showing a little ignorance here but it never occurred to me the power up sequence and or the TV not acquiring the DVI-HDMI at the same time as the optical audio, may be the issue. I also have a harmony 880. I am going to change the sequence and play with the delay settings and see what happens. Good place to start, thanks for the tip.

#67629 - 02/27/08 03:18 AM Re: Got Surround Blues, help??
jmacari Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rhode Island
I also have an HR20 -700 DVR; I go directly from DVR to Sony KDS60A3000 by way of HDMI (bypassing 990 on the video path). I have very few problems with lip synch issues (OTA PBS occasionally, but that's a known issue with WGBH/Boston). Optical out from DVR to 990......Same setup for my Blu-Ray, also (bypass 990 on the video path).
Anthem MRX-500/ Outlaw 7500, Paradigm Studio 100's Fronts, Paradigm CC-590 Center, Phase Technology Dipole rears , Martin Logan Dynamo sub, Oppo BDP-103, DIRECTV H22-200 DVR HD receiver, Samsung PN60E8000 3D Plasma 60"
2nd System
B&K ST 202 Amp, Outlaw 990, Rotel RCD 1072CD, Yaqin CD 1 Tube Buffer, Apogee Centaur Minors, Phase Technology Model 10 Sub, Rotel RP-855 turntable, Panasonic DMP-BD30, DIRECTV H21-700 DVR HD receiver, Free Agent Home Theatre+, Vizio 40" LED

#67630 - 02/27/08 07:22 AM Re: Got Surround Blues, help??
Skyblazer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Spokane, WA
i have the same lip sync problem every now and then with satellite TV and DVD's. what i do to fix the problem is run the auto speaker calibration and then save the settings.. works great.

for about a month or two.. then I have to rerun the auto speaker calibration again. it's only a small PITA though.

this fixes the problem each and every time for me.. sometimes I have to run the auto set up a couple times before it catches though.
Parasound P/HP-850 2 CH pre
Pioneer PL-530 TT
Polk Audio SDA 2B
NAD 2600A amp
Danger Boy here

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts