Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#60142 - 05/09/06 06:14 PM HDMI audio not supported...
Miscanthus Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, MS
ok, I put in a movie today thatI have watched already with no issues and a message pops up on the screen that says "HDMI audio not supported". I have the audio connected with an optical cable from my dvd player to the 990. the DVD player is connected directly to the tv with an HDMI cable. Also, this message pops up when I use the DVD remote for something. Any suggestions.Thanks.

#60143 - 05/09/06 06:18 PM Re: HDMI audio not supported...
Miscanthus Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Miscanthus:
ok, I put in a movie today thatI have watched already with no issues and a message pops up on the screen that says "HDMI audio not supported". I have the audio connected with an optical cable from my dvd player to the 990. the DVD player is connected directly to the tv with an HDMI cable. Also, this message pops up when I use the DVD remote for something. Any suggestions.Thanks.
Ok, I wwent into the Samsung DVD menu an changed the audio setup from Bitstream to PCM. What does this do to HDMI?

#60144 - 05/09/06 08:50 PM Re: HDMI audio not supported...
Jim K Offline
Gunslinger

Is the message coming from the DVD player, or your TV? The HDMI cable carries Video and Audio from your DVD player, but you don't need the Audio portion since you're using the optical cable to carry the audio. If this is the case, you want to keep the Bitstream setting for the optical feed.

#60145 - 05/09/06 08:56 PM Re: HDMI audio not supported...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
What Samsung player do you have? Your TV may be disagreeing with the player, but there's probably a setting somewhere to disable HDMI audio - if I know what model it is, I can probably find the manual.

#60146 - 05/09/06 10:17 PM Re: HDMI audio not supported...
zest Offline
Gunslinger

i had a samsung 850 that i had paired with my old yamaha receiver, that used to say the same thing
its because your not using the sound portion of the hdmi cable
be it at your tv or the outlaw
the dvi connection on the outlaw only supports video, if your tv accepts hdmi audio then some setting is probably off on the tv
i suggest connecting your dvd player's digital audio out (optical or digital coax ) to your outlaw and connect the video out directly to the tv, be sure to set the samsung back to bitstream

#60147 - 05/09/06 10:44 PM Re: HDMI audio not supported...
Miscanthus Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
What Samsung player do you have? Your TV may be disagreeing with the player, but there's probably a setting somewhere to disable HDMI audio - if I know what model it is, I can probably find the manual.
It is the Samsung 860

#60148 - 05/09/06 10:49 PM Re: HDMI audio not supported...
Miscanthus Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by zest:
i had a samsung 850 that i had paired with my old yamaha receiver, that used to say the same thing
the dvi connection on the outlaw only supports video, if your tv accepts hdmi audio then some setting is probably off on the tv
i suggest connecting your dvd player's digital audio out (optical or digital coax ) to your outlaw and connect the video out directly to the tv, be sure to set the samsung back to bitstream
I have the optical to the 990 and an HDMI from the dvd to my samsung tv. I had the dvd set to bitstream and that is when it displayed the message. I set it back to PGM and the message went away. I also turned off DTS.

#60149 - 05/09/06 10:58 PM Re: HDMI audio not supported...
Miscanthus Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Miscanthus:
Quote:
Originally posted by zest:
[b] i had a samsung 850 that i had paired with my old yamaha receiver, that used to say the same thing
I have the optical to the 990 and an HDMI from the dvd to my samsung tv. I had the dvd set to bitstream and that is when it displayed the message. I set it back to PGM and the message went away. I also turned off DTS. [/b]
ok, when I set it back to bitstream, the message comes back up when I play a dvd.

#60150 - 05/09/06 11:15 PM Re: HDMI audio not supported...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I agree with zest on the digital audio setting - it must be bitstream to give you Dolby Digital and DTS outputs. PCM is purely a downmixed stereo. Subce Miscanthus already has the DVD player connected directly to the TV, though, the 990's out of the picture already on the HDMI. If the TV has a DVI input, it would be unable to get an audio signal. If the TV has an HDMI input there may be a setting on the TV doing something, but the player really ought to have some way to play nice with DVI displays.

The issue is with what your TV is doing with the audio carried over the HDMI cable. What kind of input does the TV have - DVI or HDMI?

#60151 - 05/10/06 01:26 AM Re: HDMI audio not supported...
zest Offline
Gunslinger

ok my memory is failing me, i traded in the samsung for an oppo a few months ago.
when i had the samsung connected to my tv with the hdmi and no receiver connection, i didnt get the message .As soon as i connected the optical cable from the samsung to the receiver , i would get the message.
However the message only lasted for a few seconds i learned to live with it, however i ended up sending back the samsung to bestbuy and kept the oppo.
Im sure someone else can help, i never did find the solution in the samsung manual, maybe try a google help.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Outlaw Ben), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts