Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#57438 - 01/26/06 09:47 PM speaker crossovers
mm_half3 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South Florida
Hello,

What with all the hub-bub about the 990's bass management, got me to wondering if I have my speakers crossed correctly to work with my sub. I listen mostly with digital tosi cable connections from either a sat rcvr, or the dvd player. I have tried the analog connections on the dvd player for cd's and can't seem to get it to sound right. The room is used to watch movies and two channel music (xm music channels or cd's via the dvd player). I have a 7.1 speaker setup, with Rocket 750's as my fronts, an rsc200 for center, acoustech dipoles for surronds, a pair of klipsch epic series towers for the rear surrounds (these were moved from the fronts once I bought the rockets), and a powered velodyne CT150 sub. The sub has both crossover and filter settings on it. I set the crossover switch on the sub in the off position, since I figured the 990 would do the bass management. There is also a high pass filter switch setting with either 80 or 100 hz, it is set to 100hz. The low pass crossover is set at about 100hz, but since the crossover select is off on the sub, I doubt this setting is used. The 990 has all speakers except the dipoles crossed at 80hz, the dipoles are at 100hz, and all speakers set to small. These settings were done back when I had the klipsch as fronts, and rarely listened to two channel music, but now with the rockets I find myself listening to a lot of two channel music...I find bypass sounds best. ..but sometimes things just sound off. Now for my questions. Are these the best settings for movie surround tracks? My initial calibration was done with movies in mind. Now that I am listening to more 2 channel music, does anyone recommend more optimal settings? If so, do I need to switch the cross and or size when changing between movies and two channel music? All the above questions pertain to using a digital tosi connection, and when using two channel with the 990 at bypass mode. If I read some of the BM threads correctly, If the analog connection is used, then I should probably enable the cross on my sub...I think....or does having all speakers set to small eliminate the need for this fix. Sorry for the rambling type questions, but as you can see I am thouroughly confused about how to integrate my sub in with the speakers and the 990....and here it sounded so easy when looking over the manuals wink

#57439 - 01/26/06 11:50 PM Re: speaker crossovers
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Are you using bypass with a digital input or an analog input? If it is an analog input, you may be seeing differences between DACs. If it is a digital input, my understanding of bypass mode is that it not much different from stereo mode - bass management would still be active, but all other processing (tone control, surround processing) is bypassed. It would be a slightly simpler signal path.

The RS750 is rated to 38Hz at -3dB, so you could probably try a lower crossover - you might give 60Hz a try with some music and see how you like it. I'd probably leave the RSC200 at 80Hz, although you could experiment with 60Hz if you wanted to. The other settings seem fine to me. While we wait for the firmware update on the 990, you might also experiment with setting the Velodyne's low pass crossover to its highest setting and then putting the crossover switch back into the on position - that would filter out the high frequency data sent to the sub in the modes that are sending a full-range signal to the sub (setting it as high as possible is intended to keep the sub's crossover out of the way of the other bass management).

#57440 - 01/27/06 02:03 AM Re: speaker crossovers
mm_half3 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South Florida
Gonk,
I am using bypass with both, digital and analog inputs...but I don't use the analogs much. I set the RS750's at 80hz, and watched serenity, and did notice a difference compared to the 100hz setting. Liked 80hz better. At first the RSC200 was at 100, but when I tried it at 80hz, I again liked it better. It seemed to make the conversation stronger. Have not been able to listen to any 2 channel music yet, maybe this weekend...will try out the sub crossover on and set high also.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 144 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts