Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#57429 - 01/26/06 05:07 PM Complicated Sub Setup Question
AndrewS Offline
Gunslinger

Currently, I've got dual SVS's going into a y-splitter on my Ref31.

I've decided to use balanced outputs on the 990. There is only, however, one sub output on the balanced - but there are two unbalanced.

Should I....

1) use balanced cables for everything but the sub and run each sub to its own unbalanced output on the 990

or

2) get a (does this even make sense or exist) XLR y-splitter for the single balanced output on the 990.

Aren't the balanced channels +6db over the unbalanced so the sub would be -6db from everything else if I went unbalanced?

What should I do?

#57430 - 01/26/06 05:19 PM Re: Complicated Sub Setup Question
braidkid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: WA
Since noise floor noise is not as prevalent at bass frequencies, I would go with option 1 and not worry about it.
Denon DVD-2910
M&K LCR750
M&K Surround-55 tripole
Dual M&K VX-1250
Outlaw PCAs
Blue Jeans Component and HDMI
Panamax 5500

#57431 - 01/26/06 05:27 PM Re: Complicated Sub Setup Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I agree with braidkid - I'd use the two unbalanced sub outputs and not worry about it, especially since your SVS's most likely don't have balanced inputs and you'd have to add an adapter (which gets into a can of worms that I'd much rather leave closed). You've got so many adjustment points for the subs (gain control on the amps as well as trim adjustment at the 990) that any level difference can be sorted out without difficulty.

#57432 - 01/26/06 06:01 PM Re: Complicated Sub Setup Question
AndrewS Offline
Gunslinger

I actually already have an adapter - I'd just need to purchase an XLR "Y" splitter cable.

My SVS's are going to a Behringer DEQ2496 with RCA ended sub cables and an RCA to XLR plug. Then I run the two cables from the DEQ2496 with small "patch" XLR to RCA cables to a good quality "Y" splitter which connects them to my current sub output on the Ref 31.

So I guess that I could reduce the number of cables by going to the unbalanced dual inputs and cutting out the RCA y-splitter that I have, but if there is some benefit to using the balanced sub output, all I'd need is that XLR Y-splitter and I could cut out the XLR to RCA cables from the Behringer to the 990.

So am I going to get a better signal by using the unbalanced RCA sub outs or by Y-splitting the balanced XLR sub out?

#57433 - 01/26/06 06:30 PM Re: Complicated Sub Setup Question
braidkid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: WA
Quote:
So am I going to get a better signal by using the unbalanced RCA sub outs or by Y-splitting the balanced XLR sub out? [/QB]
No.

Try both, put your ear up to the woofer cone and listen for hum/hiss. You won't hear a difference.
Denon DVD-2910
M&K LCR750
M&K Surround-55 tripole
Dual M&K VX-1250
Outlaw PCAs
Blue Jeans Component and HDMI
Panamax 5500

#57434 - 01/26/06 08:09 PM Re: Complicated Sub Setup Question
blaineh Offline
Gunslinger

I hear more of a differance than a percieved reduction of noise and gain differential on the XLR outs. The music has a "fuller quality", like a better attack on the mid bass. This I noticed on the LR outs, don't know about the sub out, but suspect it's performance is better as well.
Why not just use the XLR to the behr, keeping it mono (which it at the rca anyway), use your XLR to rca adaptor out to a nice splitter like the outlaw one. If you keep your subs is opposite corners, I suspect the eq requirement won't be different for each. (you measure at the listening position anyway, yes?) Like this, you can use the remaining channel for the center perhaps...

#57435 - 01/26/06 08:16 PM Re: Complicated Sub Setup Question
blaineh Offline
Gunslinger

I don't think the XLR benifit is limited to the natural noise canceling properties of the balanced 3 wire configuaration; I think the driver electronics are better on the balanced section. I use it into a DEQX (I used to use a Behr2496 xover, and use unbalanced out to the amps. The run to amps is short enough to not collect much noise, though full ballanced is in the cards for later. Extensive A/B testing tells me the balanced electronic in this machine are better (not that balanced is always better, done cheaply it will suffer) The behr will auto switch to single ended mode when it senses the jumper on the XLR/RCA adaptor...

#57436 - 01/26/06 09:23 PM Re: Complicated Sub Setup Question
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
I don't think it will make a difference if you just use the unbalanced sub-outs.

I am curious what you think of the DEQ. Rather expensive, but it seems to be a good system on paper.

Cheers,

#57437 - 01/26/06 10:06 PM Re: Complicated Sub Setup Question
AndrewS Offline
Gunslinger

Ritz:

It's much easier to add the filters than the BFD. I don't know that the DAC's and ADC's are any better because I'd never be able to tell with the subs. I paid the extra for the ease of use, the built in SPL meter and the RTA which I never used.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts