Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#54538 - 06/07/05 05:22 PM Remote input devices?
hawaii2000 Offline
Gunslinger

The manual mentions Niles Audio and Xantech as manufacturers of devices that will work with the 990 remote input jacks. Can anyone recommend or refer me to specific models of these or other manufacturers known to work with the 990? The cabinet that will house the 990 (when it arrives) may require that it be concealed so I'm hoping that a remote sensor will allow remote control of the 990 sitting behind a panel. Would I need only a sensor connected directly the IN1 or IN2 jacks? Or would it require some "kit" with emitters as well? Any information, or even first-hand experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

#54539 - 06/07/05 06:51 PM Re: Remote input devices?
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
When connecting an IR distribution system, connecting directly to the unit is the best solution, and you would use the cabled emitters only if that wasn't an option. Gonk has a great piece about the Xantech setup he uses with Outlaw equipment here.

Note that, no matter which way you go, you'll need the IR receiver and disribution block to do this. There's not much option past that, unless you can fit the emitter of one of those "remote extender" units directly in front of your outlaw unit (but the cost would be pretty much the same).

#54540 - 06/07/05 07:16 PM Re: Remote input devices?
hawaii2000 Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the info and the link to Gonks's setup.

The remote sensor devices I see at Xantech, like their 291-10 Hidden Link , look--and by look, I mean only by what I can see looking at the pictures and not by any information I read--like they can be connected directly to the IN ir jacks on the rear of the 990. Would it be as simple as that? Connect the sensor, situate it somewhere out in the open, point the remote at it and click? If so, I wouldn't need the distribution block, or would I? What, if anything, am I missing here?

#54541 - 06/07/05 07:43 PM Re: Remote input devices?
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
The proper setup is, to begin with, point your remote at the IR receiver eye like the one in your link.

That eye sends its signal to the distribution/connecting block.

The block then sends signals to all direct IR connections and emitters running out of it (up to you how many you use).

The unit in your link comes with a connecting block, so all you'd need is the cable to run to your 990 (Gonk describes a ratshack item that works). I don't think anyone offers a direct-connect receiver, since the need usually applies to more than one piece of equipment in any setup.

The benefit is, of course, you'll only ever point the remote at one spot forever after if you connect everything, and virtually never have to double-hit a button.

#54542 - 06/07/05 10:22 PM Re: Remote input devices?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The Xantech stuff I'm using is the most basic, and it is not directly compatible with the IR input jack on the back of my 990 or my cable box. Both need a 794-10 interface module. Since the interface module costs as much or more than my connecting block, sensor, and emitters combined, I just stuck an emitter on the inside of the cabinet door directly across from the 990's sensor (lazy and cheap, but extremely effective).

#54543 - 06/08/05 05:01 AM Re: Remote input devices?
hawaii2000 Offline
Gunslinger

Sluggo and Gonk, thank you both for the info. That is what I needed to know. smile

#54544 - 06/08/05 12:17 PM Re: Remote input devices?
bobby c Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Silver Spring, MD
I'm goint to be using a combo of a couple of Buffalo receivers, Buffalo flashers & a Buffalo repeater. These products are commonly available, my source is PartsExpress.com.

Bob

Who's Online
0 registered (), 99 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts