Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#53190 - 05/11/05 05:15 PM Cables & Interconnects.....
bobby c Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Silver Spring, MD
I'm new to multi channel & am trying to get a grip on cabling & interconnects in anticipation of receiving an invite to buy (I received my confirmation on my intent to buy 46 minutes after it opened back in April - I'm not part of the 1st shipment). I have a great 2 channel system, but adding video, digital & optical outputs are new to me so I'm gathering up a list of cables I'll need to buy once I get my 990.

In looking through the manual, I see the various inputs/outputs. Initially, I'll be connecting the unit to the following devices:

AMP: Outlaw 7100 (I'll order it at the same time)
Projector: Panasonic AE700 - HDMI
DVD Player: Panasonic DV-37 - no DVI but component & optical
STB: Probably a LST-4200A (DVI)
PC: USB
Down the road - MPEG-4 D* Receiver & TIVO

So I'm trying to come up with a cable list, here's what I'm thinking:

Audio DVD – 990: Optical or Coax?
Video DVD – 990: Component
990 – 7100: 7 Audio Cables (RCA)
990 – Projector: DVI to HDMI cable
7100 – Speakers: In-wall (existing) speaker cable
990 – Powered Subwoofer: In-wall Coax (RCA terminals)
990 – Second Powered Subwoofer Amp: Coax (RCA terminal)
LST-4200A – 990: DVI to DVI

How does this sound? Am I missing anything here? I am particularly curious about optical cables, I know nothing about them. Are they recommended over a digital (Coax) connection for audio (it will be a short run).

Also, in reading the manual, I see the 990 has DC triggers. If I want to connect the 990 to the 7100 (I see it has a trigger output as well), where do I find such a cable? And the second trigger output can be used for a video input, such as a projector. I don’t have my projector yet (I’ll be ordering it in a week or so), do most projectors now come with triggers?

I’ve been building a home theater for seemingly forever, it is now at the completion stage (acoustic treatments are going in now, then finishing touches like chairs, carpeting & screen). As I mentioned, I have no multi channel equipment as of yet (except for the speakers I bought – an ACI 7.1 setup). So I’m really anxious to get an invite to purchase the 990 soon – after all the work I’ve done, the family wants to see the results. The credit card is going to get a workout in the next couple of weeks!

#53191 - 05/11/05 06:02 PM Re: Cables & Interconnects.....
Cerebus Offline
Gunslinger

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that the 990 will not convert from Component to DVI.
You are either going to want to use the Component switching to the Projector from the 990 (I wish I had a AE700. You won't regret buying it)or do a direct connect from the DVD player.

Or another alternative is to use the PC as your DVD player using one of the (very good) programs for that purpose. There are some very good PC solutions available now -- Myth TV (Linux) or Snapstream (Windows XP) would allow you to use a common interface for TV, Tivo-like PVR with Program Guide (but without the Tivo monthly charge) , DVD, VCD, DIVX, CD, MP3 juke Box all via the DVI/HDMI. (MYTH also alows websurfing, and email checking, and if you are into arcade emulators, a MAME interface. Nothing like playing Galaga or Star Wars on a 92 inch screen... ) The only thing these don't do right now is HDTV. But you can switch the output from Computer/HDTV via the 990, and then only run one DVI cable to the Projector. The PC needs only one optical SPDIF cable to be run to the 990 (given a higher end sound card like a SB Audigy) Also, install at least 2 Coax runs to the theater. This allows you to pipe out S-Video from the PC into a RF modulator so you can watch the PC content on any TV in the house by tuning to Channel 3. I personally use Snapstream's RF remote to control the PC and I have been very pleased. MYTH-TV is very cool and very stable, but it does require some computer savvy to get it to work. The Snapstream solution was, for me, plug and play, and to everyone's surprise, rather stable under Windows XP home. Going with a PC also has the additional advantage of being able to burn DVDs directly from the recorded progams if you have certain shows you really like. It also gives you a simple way to transfer VHS recordings to DVD.
(No, I really don't want to get into an argument about PC vs. Dedicated components. PC is good enough for me and a lot more upgradeable. I can, for instance, use the same hardware with a new Bru-ray drive when available. Everything is a trade off, and dedicated components have an ease of use factor and possible better performance. )

The DC triggers are usually used for either turning on/off AMPs. The other trigger can be used to operate a relay that turns on some other piece of equipment under certain circumstances. Most porjectors also come with their own as well. A Good programmable remote (like a pronto) will allow you to assign macros that will accomplish the same thing (turn on Projector and Surround at the same times etc) -- triggers are a hardwired way of doing the same thing. Typically when they are used they tend to be for lowering a motorized screen or closing motorized curtains. Cool, but not really worth the expense (IMO)

The outlaw interconnects seem to be of a high build quality, but I am not with the crowd that thinks they will make a huge difference in quality (the locking connectors are really nice though). I just use cheaper, well shielded, homebuilt cables in my setup, and I have always been happy. If you do run component to the projector, make sure the cables are solid copper rather than the coated steel used for cable. RF and baseband frequencies are not the same, and you could get some ghosting, etc if you use the steel.

So you either need to run both a Component set and a DVI set to the Projector (you might want to think about doing this anyway, because the 990 won't do on screen menus on DVI) or ditch the DVD player, and run a single DVI from the 990 and use it to switch between HDTV and the PC.

If you use the DVD, it doesn't really matter which interconnect you use for Audio-- its all digital. The optical is more resistent to interference.

Anyway, Good luck with the theater, and have fun.

#53192 - 05/11/05 06:22 PM Re: Cables & Interconnects.....
bobby c Offline
Gunslinger

Cerebus -

Thanks for the detailed response - fantastic info! So if it is the case that the 990 won't convert the component to DVI, I'll probably run a dedicated component from the DVD to the PJ (I have a 2" conduit in my wall so this won't be a problem). I like the idea of using the PC as a source for DVDs, etc., however I can imagine that will be a bit of a process to get under my belt. Because of a certain pressure to get the room operational, I'll start w/ the DVD to PJ solution & then spend some time getting my arms around the PC approach.

Again, many thanks!

Bob

#53193 - 05/11/05 06:51 PM Re: Cables & Interconnects.....
Cerebus Offline
Gunslinger

Hey, that is where I started. Actually, I had the projector before the theater was done. Set it up on a coffee table facing a blank wall, using a portable DVD player and a boombox for sound.
Worked amazingly well.

Don't let the PC scare you off. The learning curve wasn't too steep. SNAP Stream just worked for me out of the box. No tweaking. Put the TV Tuner card in (or plug in the USB) Load the program, load the drivers that Snapsteam tested (available on Snapstream site) , and go. They offer a free trial if you happen to have a TV Card lying around, but in the real world, you want one of the (more expensive) MPEG encoding cards that SNAPSTREAM bundles with the software.

Linux/Myth TV does require more work (or a lot more if you don't already know linux) but has a little nicer interface and a few more bells and whistles. When I was looking, there were a few companies just building preconfigured Linux Boxes running Myth TV (or a customized version of it) , and I assume a web search would still turn them up...since Linux/Myth are free, they technically just sell the hardware...

#53194 - 05/11/05 08:41 PM Re: Cables & Interconnects.....
Nemos2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Huntington, WV
bobby C

I am currently running Mythtv (version 17) and it works great. If you go that route, let me know and I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Ian

#53195 - 05/11/05 09:08 PM Re: Cables & Interconnects.....
bobby c Offline
Gunslinger

Excellent guys. I have an extra Linux box at work - it should be easy to set one up.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts