Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#52335 - 04/17/05 03:30 PM 990 Questions: 232, DD/DTS, Audio ADC, Rack Mount, & Zone 2 Vol Control
Club Chapin Offline
Gunslinger

Have not been able to find the answer to these questions about the 990 elsewhere.

What sort of control and status is available on the 232 port? Is there a published 232 protocol?

Is there a stereo downmix of DD and DTS available on the Zone2 output and rec outputs?

Does it output a digital/pcm audio stream on the spdif outputs from an analog source?

Are there rack ears available?

Can the zone2 volume be mapped to the main/zone1 volume, to mirror? I have a bar off of my cinema that would be nice to have the volume in zone 2 track zone 1.

Are both sets of outputs (Balanced and unbalanced)avialable simultaneously? Can they be configured independantly (center vs phantom center for example)? Can they be volume controlled independantly?

Thanks, Pete

#52336 - 04/17/05 03:53 PM Re: 990 Questions: 232, DD/DTS, Audio ADC, Rack Mount, & Zone 2 Vol Control
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm afraid that we don't have any of this information yet. We should have answers to all of this once the manual is available, but for the moment we can make some guesses based on the Sherwood P-965. Outlaw has clearly made some changes to the 965 in developing the 990, but we can make some educated guesses as long as we recognize that they are just guesses. The P-965's manual suggests that the RS-232 port can be used for control, but it doesn't offer any details except to suggest that any programming be done by a professional installer. Without a signal path diagram of some sort, it's impossible to know if digital inputs will be available at stereo analog outputs (zone2 and/or record) or if analog inputs are available at digital outputs. I doubt that the zone2 volume can be tied to the zone1 control, but I could always be wrong. The balanced and unbalanced outputs are probably both available simultaneously, but I doubt that there is any way to configure them separately.

#52337 - 04/19/05 03:55 AM Re: 990 Questions: 232, DD/DTS, Audio ADC, Rack Mount, & Zone 2 Vol Control
Club Chapin Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks. Maybe someone from Outlaw can chime in.

Surely if 232 control is available, they will know that and perhaps be as kind to release the protocol soon. They could really make some inroads into high end theater with good 232 control. Certanly a professional installer would need the protocol just as much as us hobbyists.

I'd assume that digital inputs would be available on zone2/rec outputs. I'm really wondering is if a DD/DTS 2 channel downmix is available on those outputs. I'm going to gues not. I don't know of a proc that does this.

I too would doubht that zone 2 vol would be able to be controlled by main vol, but I can keep hoping until I know better smile

I would also assume that you are correct that balanced and unbalanced outputs behave as you've outlined.

I'm guessing that there is no rack mount kit either...

At anyrate, I am ready for this baby. Wuill relegate my 950 to my secondary cinema (and my old Technics SH-AC500D goes down a notch to the third cinema [formerly stereo].)

#52338 - 04/20/05 05:33 PM Re: 990 Questions: 232, DD/DTS, Audio ADC, Rack Mount, & Zone 2 Vol Control
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hope this helps.

What sort of control and status is available on the 232 port? Is there a published 232 protocol?
Answer) While we have not published the 232 protocol, we will do so shortly. That said, it is by-directional and compatible with AMX and Creston systems.

Is there a stereo downmix of DD and DTS available on the Zone2 output and rec outputs?
Answer) No.

Does it output a digital/pcm audio stream on the spdif outputs from an analog source?
Answer) No.
Are there rack ears available?
Answer) No.

Can the zone2 volume be mapped to the main/zone1 volume, to mirror? I have a bar off of my cinema that would be nice to have the volume in zone 2 track zone 1.
Answer) No.

Are both sets of outputs (Balanced and unbalanced)avialable simultaneously?
Answer) Yes.
Can they be configured independantly (center vs phantom center for example)?
Answer) No.

Can they be volume controlled independantly?
Answer) No.

#52339 - 04/20/05 06:34 PM Re: 990 Questions: 232, DD/DTS, Audio ADC, Rack Mount, & Zone 2 Vol Control
Club Chapin Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the answers.

I kind of expected these answers, noe are deal killers for me. Still can't wait for this guy.

Does it output on the analog outputs from a stereo pcm input source?

Pete

Who's Online
0 registered (), 109 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM