Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#67358 - 01/13/08 06:06 PM Interesting Sub Calibration Observation
slbenz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern California
After receiving my new Mye Stands for my Magnepans, thought I would recalibrate the speakers. Made sure that Tone Defeat was on and noticed some differences while using the Outlaw mic vs. the RS meter. I set the speakers to small and sub to on suggested by Outlaw and crossovers all set at 80Hz. Using the auto calibration set up and comparing the numbers to the RS meter using both a DTS and an AIX calibration disc, the Outlaw was spot on for the front, center and rear speakers but suggested a -8dB to the sub. The RS meter using the two calibration discs suggest having the sub level at 0dB. Listening to either 2 or 5 channel discs, whether standard CD, DTS or hi-rez material, bass was thin using the auto calibration setting. Running with the suggestions of the two calibration discs using the RS meter, bass was full with all my test discs and at times a bit too full depending on the 5 channel recording. Or maybe I didn't realize that is how the recording is really how it supposed to sound! Curious to see an 8dB difference for the sub based on the different methods. Even using the test tones out of my Marantz matched both the DTS and AIX discs! The 0dB setting is the same setting I used when I had my old Parasound HT processor that the Outlaw 990 replaced. Just wondered if others seen this same observation while adjusting their sub. Is it the white noise vs. pink noise difference that I have seen in other posts? Probably will have to use my ears again to fine tune the sub level to find that happy medium.

Slbenz

#67359 - 01/13/08 06:19 PM Re: Interesting Sub Calibration Observation
Altec Offline
Desperado

I don't know about the newer RadioShack meter, but the previous one had a rolloff in the very low frequencies. This might explain why it took more level to satisfy the RadioShack meter in comparison to the Outlaw mike.

#67360 - 01/13/08 07:01 PM Re: Interesting Sub Calibration Observation
slbenz Offline
Gunslinger

Altec,

I think the newer digital one is similar to the old analog one based on the levels on my Parasound didn't need to be changed when I used the digital one to compare before my analog unit broke. The DTS and AIX discs I used as supposed to compensate for the low bass roll-off issue of the old analog meter. Using the Outlaw mike, everything sounds very bass shy. Recalibrating using the RS meter and discs, the bass is back. That is why I wonder the past discussions of comparing white noise (Outlaw) vs. pink noise (test discs) which accounts for the bass level difference and how it performs in my system and to my ears.

Slbenz

#67361 - 01/13/08 07:58 PM Re: Interesting Sub Calibration Observation
Altec Offline
Desperado

I wish I had a 990 to put on the test bench to sort things out, but unfortunately I don't. I wasn't aware that the 990 uses white noise - that doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a design point of view - oh well..... confused

I always recommend TrueRTA, upgraded to at least the 1/3rd octave level, as a very accurate way to analyze the true nitty-gritty of what's going on with a sound system. The new RadioShack meter has a line out jack which allows use of it's mic, without the bass rolloff, for analysis. Seeing the entire audio spectrum at once allows very accurate fine tuning in positioning of the subwoofer, in addition to the mains and surrounds.

TrueRTA Website

#67362 - 01/14/08 01:46 AM Re: Interesting Sub Calibration Observation
slbenz Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Altec:
I wish I had a 990 to put on the test bench to sort things out, but unfortunately I don't. I wasn't aware that the 990 uses white noise - that doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a design point of view - oh well..... confused

I always recommend TrueRTA, upgraded to at least the 1/3rd octave level, as a very accurate way to analyze the true nitty-gritty of what's going on with a sound system. The new RadioShack meter has a line out jack which allows use of it's mic, without the bass rolloff, for analysis. Seeing the entire audio spectrum at once allows very accurate fine tuning in positioning of the subwoofer, in addition to the mains and surrounds.

TrueRTA Website
Altec,

The white noise thing caught me off guard as well when I was digging into the old posts on the forum. I think I will have to use my friend's spectrum analyzer to determine where the correct settings should be. Thanks for the info.

Slbenz

#67363 - 01/14/08 02:58 PM Re: Interesting Sub Calibration Observation
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
I’ve always thought that any ‘automatic’ setup of a subwoofer is a difficult thing. The equipment can’t use too short a burst sample because the frequencies of interest are low. On the other hand, once the sampling time becomes long enough, room effects will be measured as well. Of course the listener is immersed in room effects while listening, and most frequencies of interest in playback material last long enough to involve room effects, so taking room effects into account while measuring is definitely worth doing.

Most rooms are sensitive to various standing waves in the lower bass region, and this presents another difficulty. I’ve sometimes seen great variances by starting a test signal and walking around the room with an SPL meter. Just placing the test microphone in a slightly different place can yield varied results. If the device you’re using doesn’t take into account multiple measuring points, and you’re not going to go with TrueRTA or a similar approach, it may be helpful to run any testing procedure several times, moving the microphone between each test and writing down the result. Afterward, ignore the very highest and lowest result, and manually enter an average or median value of the rest of the results.

By the way, welcome back Altec!

#67364 - 01/14/08 03:18 PM Re: Interesting Sub Calibration Observation
john226 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: sacramento, ca
I thought the bass was a little light too using the auto set up....so after experimenting with it, I ended up setting it 4db stronger and am happy with the results. Like yours, the auto set up had the setting 8 db below the mains and center.
Anthem MCA 30 AMP
Audiosource Stereo AMP
Monitor Radius 180 surround
Comcast DVR
Sony HX929 LED TV
Apple Air Express/Apple TV

#67365 - 01/16/08 03:37 AM Re: Interesting Sub Calibration Observation
slbenz Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by john226:
I thought the bass was a little light too using the auto set up....so after experimenting with it, I ended up setting it 4db stronger and am happy with the results. Like yours, the auto set up had the setting 8 db below the mains and center.
John,

Looks like the settings at 0dBs for the sub using the Outlaw is correct for two channel listening but I had to readjust the settings in my Marantz so that the sub wasn't overpowering the other channels in 5.1. I guess all the discussion on the other post about a firmware change so that the sub offset can go up or down now I see would be beneficial in my case.

Slbenz

#67366 - 01/17/08 03:45 PM Re: Interesting Sub Calibration Observation
john226 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: sacramento, ca
Maybe so....but I'm fairly confident I'm finding the sweet spot by ear....I take it down then bring it up to where it blends in well but doesn't dominate. Sometimes I turn it down at night 'cause of my neighbors. I live in a townhouse with one small common wall, so I have to be considerate. I love my place but wish it was detached so I could enjoy my system to the fullest. My typical -4db setting seems to work pretty well for both movies and stereo music, although I will occasionally adjust it. Plus, that number really doesn't mean so much when you factor in the manual volume control on the sub. Mine is set at about 10 o'clock and could go a lot louder. Anyway, good luck. I love this hobby and the pleasure it brings.
Anthem MCA 30 AMP
Audiosource Stereo AMP
Monitor Radius 180 surround
Comcast DVR
Sony HX929 LED TV
Apple Air Express/Apple TV

#67367 - 01/17/08 04:39 PM Re: Interesting Sub Calibration Observation
slbenz Offline
Gunslinger

John,

Thanks for the advice. Have been playing around with the settings and somewhere from -3dBs to -2dBs seems to work depending on the disc. Didn't like the idea of using the variable settings on the Marantz so I kept it on the fixed setting. My Velodyne's setting is at the 9 o'clock setting and like yours has a long way to go. But even at this setting, I can rock my whole house! Luckily, I don't have any neighbors to contend with so I can let the cannon blasts fly! I guess with all this discussion on settings, it still boils down to what our ears think is correct and pleasing to us.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 156 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts