Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#65877 - 08/06/07 06:15 PM Newer Pre/Pros...
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Somewhere in Virginia
I know this question has been asked over and over again but could someone possibly tell me the time frame in which Outlaw plans on releasing their new pre/pros or even a ballpark time frame. With all the new recivers and pre/pros coming out, as much as I hate to do it I'm thinking of letting the 990 go for a more up to date pre/pro with HDMI switching. Don't get me wrong, still love the 990 but beings I can only get 5.1 out of my 7.1 setup with the new True HD and DD+, it kind of defeats the purpose of having a 7.1 setup. Yes, I do know that alot of the movies do not support true 7.1 yet but it would still be nice to get forced 7.1 using the HDMI connection. Thanks.

#65878 - 08/06/07 06:33 PM Re: Newer Pre/Pros...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Outlaw has held off on offering any specific dates, and I suspect that will stay true until they have something really close to release. The earliest I'd expect anything would be the first of next year - and even that's probably iffy. Keep in mind that while companies like Onkyo and Denon are getting into the game with new HDMI receivers, we've seen almost nothing definite on surround processors yet because those come typically from smaller companies that will need more time to get development taken care of. I also retain some doubts about promised delivery dates in at least some cases, as these new products are doing a lot of new stuff (HDMI switching, HDCP handshaking, various bits of video processing, and even new processing mdoes like TrueHD and DTS-HD MA assuming that any source components are able to start outputting bitstreams of them at some point). Onkyo hit their dates pretty well and Denon may do the same, but not everyone will, and even a little slip for a fall release is going to put you almost into the first of the year.

#65879 - 08/06/07 06:55 PM Re: Newer Pre/Pros...
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Somewhere in Virginia
Thanks for responding Gonk, for some reason I figured you would be the first. So, in your opinion, should I wait it out to see what Outlaw comes up with. Thanks again.

#65880 - 08/06/07 07:12 PM Re: Newer Pre/Pros...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Personally, I'm in no rush to get a new HDMI processor. I can see reasons for doing so (OK, mostly reason - an array of HDMI inputs that will accept multichannel PCM from DVD-A, SACD, HD-DVD, and Blu-ray sources), but it hasn't been enough to drag me away from my 990 yet. Given time, that will change, and I'll certainly be curious to see what Outlaw comes up between now and when the gravitational pull of HDMI grows strong enough to sway me. Maybe by then there will also be a standalong Blu-ray player that a mix of features, performance, price, and convenience sufficient to win me over.

#65881 - 08/06/07 08:41 PM Re: Newer Pre/Pros...
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
While I am one who really enjoys nicely reproduced audio, whether audio only or HT, I’ve never been an early adopter of any piece of equipment. Even if the first manufacturers out of the gate have managed to iron out all the wrinkles, it usually at least a year or two for the feature set to fill in. Sometimes it also takes about the same amount of time for a given technology to really proliferate such that real price competition sets in. By the time the two years, and maybe longer, passes, one will also know whether the world of supply and demand has swung into full acceptance and whether the touted technology is going to be a boom or a bust. The only foray I’ve half-regretted is SACD and DVD-A – I’ve enjoyed half the discs I purchased but these formats have never become mainstream even though I thought it would eventually happen.

I’ve avoided HDTV so far because much of the display technology, from a pro’s point of view, has a fair amount of drawbacks, varying by display method. Many early HDTV adopters have only analog inputs to their HD displays, early plasma adopters who watch certain channels got some form of screen burn-in, ...

HDMI is likely to be different as far as it’s eventual widespread adoption. From the consumer point of view it promises not just to be better (Joe consumer would need a lot of marketing to be convinced to spend just for a ‘better’ he might only hardly notice) but easier to interconnect (perhaps fewer cables eventually). Of course manufacturers have sold the content folks on the idea that the included HDCP offers them real protection. So what’s not to like? Content people like the ‘HDCP promise’, mass consumers like ‘easier’, and manufacturers like having something new to sell.

The 950, and then the 990, have got the audio covered so far. Once the HD display and HDMI/HDCP technologies are a bit more mature, I’ll be there too.

#65882 - 08/07/07 02:29 AM Re: Newer Pre/Pros...
FAUguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: FL
I don't think a "newer" 990 version will be out until after next summer.
Outlaw made it clear that they are waiting for the HDMI Ver mess to get cleared up.

#65883 - 08/07/07 05:59 PM Re: Newer Pre/Pros...
westlee Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: california/santa barbara
Hello Grimster...
I have the Panny 10A and enjoy Dolby TrueHD, etc. for 5.1 and don't mess with trying to get a 'forced' 7.1 out of the mix. Good 5.1 beats artificial 6/7.1 anyday for sound quality and the 990 is a champ!
Of course, the Panny 10A has 7.1 analog outputs and I can't suggest this for a 990 mate strongly enough. I have tried 'real' 7.1 on the "Ultimate Avengers" blu-ray and it is indeed a hoot! The movie is 7.1 pcm and the pcm tracks on hi-def are just as good if not better than their coded brethren. "Dr. Strange" comes out in next week in 7.1 and there are more discs coming out this fall. "The Descent" is mixed in 6.1 and the 6.1 discs I've tried are no slouch either. I don't feel any rush to get hdmi audio with the 990 in play. Such is the beauty of having dual 7.1 in/out devices in tandem. Someone will have to break a rock over my head to convince to give up uncompressed pcm....and since a great deal, if not the majority of blu discs offer pcm...I'm a keeping 'her'!
BTW....Integra has released their 7.1 hdmi pre-pro @ 1600 bucks approx last week. The war has begunz!!! I get to demo it, though I will not buy it(my a/v installer friend offered it to me for the weekend when it gets here). I am patient and will wait for Outlaws offering in the future and see if I actually need it when that time comes.
One more thing: Hi Gonk and all salooners! Hope the beer is cold!

#65884 - 08/07/07 11:05 PM Re: Newer Pre/Pros...
NRBQLou Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO USA
Not to belabor this too much, but with the feature set described below for the Integra DTC 9.8, Outlaw will have their hands full with development (and pricing! $1600 seems like a heck of a price point) on the 990 successor. Nice to see things starting to heat up a bit...

AUDIO PROCESSING:
• THX Ultra2 Certified
• Toroidal Transformer Plus 2 Separate Power Transformers for Audio & Video Processing
• HDMI (v.1.3a) Audio & Video Processing
• Audyssey MultiEQ XT Advanced Room Correction
• DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High-Resolution Audio, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus Decoding
• Burr Brown 192khz/24-bit DACs for all channels
• Neural THX Surround Processing
• Three Advanced TI 32-Bit Processing DSP Chips
• Linear Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry
• VLSC - Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry - All Channels
• Bi-Amp Capability for Front L/R Channels
• IntelliVolume Input Level Calibration System
• 15-band Graphic Equalizer
• Variable Crossover Settings by Channel Pair
• Accurate Speaker Distance Settings (0.2 ft increments)
• A/V Sync Delay Adjustment by Input (up to 250ms)

VIDEO PROCESSING:
• HQV Reon-VX Processing for Premium Quality HDMI Upscaling/Transcoding of All Sources (up to 1080p)
•Deep Color™ (36 bit) Capable HDMI (4-in/2-out)
• HD Component Video (100 MHz) w/Upconversion

CONNECTIONS:
• 7.1 Channel Balanced Line Level XLR Outputs
• 2 Channel Balanced XLR Audio Input (assignable)
• 7.1 Multichannel Input & Pre-output
• XM® & SIRIUS Satellite Radio Ready [Required XM or SIRIUS tuner, antenna, and subscription sold separately.]
• HD Radio Reception Capability
• Assignable Digital Inputs (4 HDMI/3 optical/3 coaxial)
• HDMI/Component Video Assignable to Tape/CD/Phono
• 1 Optical Digital Output
• Front Panel A/V Inputs (including optical)

CUSTOM INTEGRATION FEATURES:
• Bi-directional Ethernet & RS-232 Port for 3rd Party Control Systems (Device Discovery, E-control, etc.)
• Fixed/Variable/Powered Zone 2w/ HD Component Video & Subwoofer Output
• Zone 2 Bass/Treble/Balance Controls
• Main Zone/2/3 & Zone 2 Max & Power On Volume Settings
• Dealer Settings Memory Store & Recall w/Lock/Unlock
• Permanently Stored Memory Settings
• Dual IR Inputs w/Common Output
• 3 Programmable 12V triggers (w/adj. delay)
• RIHD for System Control via HDMI
• Optional Rack Mount Kit Available (IRK-155-3A)
Oppo BDP-83, Sony UBP-X800
Roku Streaming Stick +
Music Hall mm5.1 table, Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge, Cambridge Audio 640P Phono Preamp, Pro-Ject Speed Box
Belkin Pure AV Power Conditioner
Audioquest Type 8 speaker cable, Monoprice speaker Cable
Mostly Monoprice interconnects

#65885 - 08/08/07 02:17 AM Re: Newer Pre/Pros...
gonk Offline
Desperado

It certainly does hint at interesting things to come in the next generation.

I saw something today about Onkyo's 875 receiver having an issue with its Reon scaler and 4:3 content when set up for a 16:9 output - it couldn't pillarbox. That seems like something that could be fixed with a firmware update (similar to the way OPPO added this ability to the 971H early in its life). I wonder if the DTC9.8 shares that problem?

#65886 - 08/08/07 05:09 PM Re: Newer Pre/Pros...
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
That Integra has a lot of very nice features, starting with a phono input. But apparently the built-in crossover settings which allow it to drive two amps for each front channel top out at 200 Hz. That looks like subwoofer service only. Dealbreaker for me and a lot of music listeners. I also wonder if its audio recording outputs (it DOES have them, doesn't it?) can be fed from the digital inputs, unlike the 990 unfortunately.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 130 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts