Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#64818 - 03/21/07 02:49 PM CrossOver (to the otherside)
Supertom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Syracuse
Looking for help setting up my x-over on my 990

this is what i have: Freq Response 24Hz to 20KHz
4 Ohms
X-Over Ribbon:150Hz to 20kHz
Woofer All Freq Below 150Hz
Sesitivity 86dB
Ribbon 48-inch
Woofer 10-inch
Question is What should my 990 X-over be set at ?
Or would i be better off BiAmping the Woofers to my 990 sub outs and set the Ribbons to 150Hz
reason is after changing from Yamaha/Cinepro to 990/7500 things seem a little Harsh & Forward

#64819 - 03/21/07 03:05 PM Re: CrossOver (to the otherside)
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Out of random curiosity; what were your settings on the Yamaha?

Next question: Do you have an external crossover between the ribbons and the woofer? Or, do you have seperate speaker inputs for the ribbons and the woofer?

#64820 - 03/21/07 03:26 PM Re: CrossOver (to the otherside)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If the woofers are connected to the subwoofer outputs of the 990, I'd cross the fronts over at 150Hz. If the ribbon and woofers are both driven by the same signal, then you've already got a crossover between the two and the 990 only sees the combination of the two - in which case I'd cross the fronts over at either 40Hz or 60Hz.

#64821 - 03/21/07 03:50 PM Re: CrossOver (to the otherside)
Supertom Offline
Gunslinger

Hello jason j

Believe it or not after buying my Yamaha/cinepro
i connected everything and for 10 years never had to touch ANYTHING/NOTHING (well maybe the Volume)

anyway these speakers have there own X-over and i can connect to the ribbons or the woofer or both using a jumper

HELLO GONK
Do you think they would sound better or worse
connecting the woofers to the 990 sub outs
Again thank You Guyzzzz
Supertom

#64822 - 03/21/07 04:06 PM Re: CrossOver (to the otherside)
gonk Offline
Desperado

If they've got a jumper that can be used between two sets of binding posts I'd probably not put the woofers on the sub output - while it is a curious idea, you'll be using left/right separation (the woofers will share the same mono signal). I'd cross the fronts over at 40Hz or 60Hz (you can experiment with both and find the one your room and your ears prefer).

If you had the Yamaha for ten years, then it had at best a very rudimentary form of bass management - in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't even have a powered sub in the mix with the Yamaha, which would mean that there was effectively no bass management happening. That means you're entering entirely new territory with the 990's bass management. It also raises a question: do you have a subwoofer in the mix?

#64823 - 03/21/07 04:46 PM Re: CrossOver (to the otherside)
Supertom Offline
Gunslinger

Yes the Yamaha did have Sub-out (but was never used) like i said i connected the amp and speakers and that was it
I never found the need for a subwoofer these
al-III plus speakers really put-out
but i am working with all new Electronics like you said (new territory) so do i NEED a SUB and if i do WHY because i have plenty of Bass But maybe i'am missing the point

BIGTIME thank Gonk (this is for your help $$$$$)

#64824 - 03/21/07 06:34 PM Re: CrossOver (to the otherside)
gonk Offline
Desperado

If you don't have a sub, then you don't need to be crossing the speakers over at all - you need to have them set to "large" with the sub "off," at which point the crossover setting will be ignored. If you really are getting good output down to 24Hz, then the need for a sub is not all that significant.

#64825 - 03/22/07 10:12 AM Re: CrossOver (to the otherside)
Jason J Offline
Desperado

As an answer to why to add a subwoofer to your system, try this article:

http://www.soundstage.com/maxdb/maxdb200101.htm

There are also many other similiar articles at this website:

www.ecoustics.com

To summarize very simply, there is more deep bass in your system than your "woofers" can provide. Now that you have a processor, your 990, that can provide some great bass management, it might be time to look into adding a subwoofer to your system. I think you might be very surprised in just how much one adds to even a great two-channel system.

Next question, do you have surround speakers? Setting them up with proper bass management can be the next thread. laugh

#64826 - 03/22/07 12:29 PM Re: CrossOver (to the otherside)
Supertom Offline
Gunslinger

Hey: Jason J

yes i have (6) al-III plus Speakers
with ALOT "o" Bass using only 5 speakers
and if the wife wins her way soon tobe ONLY (2)
Is there something ill get with a SUBWOOFER that I'am Not getting already
Freq Response 24Hz to 20KHz arccording to Spec sheet ???

Luv this Forum
Supertom

#64827 - 03/22/07 12:55 PM Re: CrossOver (to the otherside)
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Tom,

Spec sheets are guidelines, not definitive answers. The woofer in your speakers is not self-powered. (At least from the information I could find on them) The woofers in your speakers were designed to augment the ribbon driver and to produce the frequencies that the ribbon is unable to reach. I'm sure you get plenty of "bass", however, there is now plenty of musical material out there, not to mention movie material, that utilizes frequencies beyond the reach of your woofers. There's a reason why Outlaw includes a 40hz crossover selection on the 990!

Let me try to demonstrate what I'm talking about. Say you're listening to the 1812 Overture and the canons are booming. Without a subwoofer, the woofer in your speaker is responsible for not only producing the bass frequencies of the instruments in the orchestra but also the rumble of the canons. This canon rumble is "stealing" energy that would be used to reproduce good musical bass. Also, you end up not getting the full impact of the canon. When you add an external subwoofer, you now have your speakers free to reproduce the music while the subwoofer focuses on what it does best, the rumble!

When you bring movies into the mix, the fun really begins. The action gets more intense as you "feel" what's going on. As a side note, my wife loves what our subwoofer adds to movies. Of course, I'm lucky!

Be careful if you do decide to try out a subwoofer. There are many out products out there marketed as subwoofers that really wouldn't help out your system. As an example, your system sounds like it would fit better with an LFM-1 rather than an LFM-2. Both are good subwoofers but your system would benefit most from the added extension of the LFM-1.

It comes down to trying it out. You already have the processor that can take care of the bass management. Now its time to use it!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 101 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM