Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#62268 - 10/16/06 09:21 PM Comp. video in, sub ground loop, eq/analyser hook-up?
jsw3rd Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
A few "rambling" issues:
..I moved into a new home a month ago, and have finally gotten around to installing my home theater system in the 2nd master bedroom- I can use some suggestions about a few things:
- I've gone to the DTV HDTV box (H20, I think-). Any direct "metallic" connection/input to the 990 from the /dtv box causes a REALLY annoying 60 Hz hum in my Carver/Sunfire True subwoofer that seems to be a ground loop- I've got a Monster Power power controller, and have tried moving the DTV box AC connection to various outlets on the box, and even plugging it into a separate wall outlet, although still on the same circuit in the house. I've also tried running a ground wire from the DTV box to the 990, to the sub, sub to ground, etc. Thoughts?
-Is there any way to set up a pre-out/main in or loop connection on the 990? I have a 1/3 octave analyzer, and two 1/3 graphic EQs for the front L/R main speakers, and would rather hook them in this way instead of "in series" from the main L/R outputs to the amps if it's do-able...
- None of the component video inputs seem to work on the 990 when selected on the config for various video inputs?
- Target has a "stand alone" Kawasaki 7" LCD color monitor for about $80 for those of us who want to use a separate monitor for the 990's OSD, and spend a bit less than the price of a 7" LCD TV...
Thanks in advance...

#62269 - 10/16/06 10:13 PM Re: Comp. video in, sub ground loop, eq/analyser hook-up?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The ground loop is probably associated with the cable from the dish to the box. With cable TV service, the solution is a ground loop isolator (the best typically being the Jensen), and I think a similar approach can be used with satellite. Other satellite users around here may have specific isolators that they've used.

Modern surround receivers and processors simply don't have an equalizer loop like older stereo gear used to. The only real option is to go in between the 990's pre-amp output and the amp's input.

The component inputs will only be visible on the component output - the inputs are not converted down to composite and s-video - so you'll need to be viewing the 990's component monitor output to see the component inputs. If you do that, do you still not see the component inputs?

Good tip on the 7" LCD monitor...

#62270 - 10/17/06 10:07 AM Re: Comp. video in, sub ground loop, eq/analyser hook-up?
jsw3rd Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the tip on the ground loop isolator- I'll check it out today!
RE: the comp video inputs- I have an Oppo DVD and the HDTV box feeding into DVI 1 & 2, but also have a Sony DVD player in the system that I mainly use for CDs, but do occasionally also use for DVD- I can't get the 990 to accept/display the DVD/video when using the Sony's component output, even when the video input is set up correctly on the 990. In the course of trouble-shooting the ground loop problem I also tried to use the comp vid input from the HDTV box, but again couldn't get the 990 to display the video- I'm using the 990's DVI output to feed all sources to my Samsung HDTV...

#62271 - 10/17/06 10:12 AM Re: Comp. video in, sub ground loop, eq/analyser hook-up?
jsw3rd Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Sorry- I just read Gonk's response a few lines down about the 990 not "converting" analog input to digital/DVI output- Guess that explains it!

Thanks again!

#62272 - 10/17/06 11:18 AM Re: Comp. video in, sub ground loop, eq/analyser hook-up?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Ah-ha! Yes, component (or composite or s-video) inputs are not visible at the DVI output. You would need to switch the TV to the component video connection to get the analog video inputs.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 179 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts