Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#61733 - 08/16/06 11:38 AM 12V Trigger and Zone 2 on the Model 990
Jerry_Rig Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I finally figured out that to get the 12V trigger from the 990 to turn off the 7125 amplifier, I have to turn off ZONE2 with the ZONE 2 remote, then power the 990 off with its remote. Only then does it actually turn off both units and go to standby mode. If ZONE 2 is left on, then the 12V trigger is left on and ZONE 2 keeps on playing audio thru the amp (currently, I am using two of the seven power amps in the 7125 to power ZONE 2 which feeds the ceiling speakers throughout my house). Anyway, this may be a desirable feature for some, but I want to put the 990 and the 7125 into standby with just the main remote control power off button. Can I change the setup to make ZONE 2 shut off with the main remote power down button? I couldn't find any way to do this in all the menus but I hope its possible.

I know that some Outlaw amplifier models have audio sense so maybe this is why the 7125 does not go to standby since audio is still present on two of the seven amps. The 7125 amp manual does not indicate that this would happen but, it still might do that so thought I would ask the question to the Outlaw community.
Paradigm Mini Monitor V.3 Fronts
Paradigm CC150 Center
Paradigm ADP-170 Bipole Surrounds

#61734 - 08/16/06 12:06 PM Re: 12V Trigger and Zone 2 on the Model 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Outlaw's multichannel amps do not have an auto-sense power control: they rely on either the front power button or (more typically) the 12v trigger. The behavior that you are describing (having the main trigger remain active as long as either the main zone or the second zone is on) is intentional - your arrangement of using two channels of a seven-channel amp to drive the second zone's speakers is common, so shutting down the trigger when the main zone shut down would make it impossible to use the second zone without having the main zone on as well. Unfortunately, there is also no way to link the second zone operation to the main zone - one of the purposes for the second zone is its autonomy from the main zone.

If you wanted to leave the second zone on all the time but only listen to it when the main zone is on, you may be able to use the trigger2 to control your 7125. To do this, you would need to move the trigger cable from trigger1 to trigger2 and then change the default trigger2 setting from "off" to "on" for each input that you use (done by going to INPUT CONFIG in the 990's menu and going to each audio and video input in turn). When the 990 is off, so are all of the inputs, and trigger2 would then shut off. I say "may be able" because I don't know if having one of these zones selected for the second zone would cause trigger2 to remain active - it's very likely that it would, leaving you right back where you are now. Of course, if you are always using the same audio source for zone 2 and you never use it for the main zone, you could simply leave trigger2 set to "off" for that input. What source do you typically use with the second zone?

#61735 - 08/16/06 12:58 PM Re: 12V Trigger and Zone 2 on the Model 990
Jerry_Rig Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Thanks for the fast response. My ZONE 2 source could be set to CD, AUX (connected to a Sirius Radio Receiver), tuner, or Video1 - just about anything - I have a phonograph, too! Mostly the AUX input will be used on ZONE 2 as we listen to Sirius Radio all over the house and out in the garage when we are at home going about household stuff.

What it really comes down to it that this featue just complicates training my wife as to what to do to turn on/off the system. She doesn't like this feature - yet! I will try to sell her on the fact that she can save power by just turning on ZONE 2 only when she is out doing her pottery stuff in the garage.

I do have another related question. I just got my system so have not had a chance to try this yet but, with the whole system in standby mode, can I just turn on ZONE 2 with the small remote (press AUX for instance) and will it then turn on the 7125 as well via the 12V trigger?
Paradigm Mini Monitor V.3 Fronts
Paradigm CC150 Center
Paradigm ADP-170 Bipole Surrounds

#61736 - 08/16/06 01:27 PM Re: 12V Trigger and Zone 2 on the Model 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Yes, you can operate the second zone from the small remote without doing anything with the main zone. What might work well for your wife is to simply associate the zone 2 remote with the speakers around the house and in the garage - if either of you want sound in those spaces, just use the zone 2 remote to turn it on, pick the input, and control the volume. When you're done, just use that remote to turn it back off.

#61737 - 08/17/06 08:10 AM Re: 12V Trigger and Zone 2 on the Model 990
trackbike Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

If I assign trigger2 to all inputs would it act the same as trigger1 when I turn the 990 on and off, i.e. would it activate when I turn the 990 on and stay on until I turn it off without cycling as I change inputs? I ask this because I would like to trigger an amplifier and a power center and keep them both on as long as the 990 is powered.

Thanks,
Will

#61738 - 08/17/06 09:52 AM Re: 12V Trigger and Zone 2 on the Model 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

I haven't ever tried it so I don't know for sure, but I would suspect that trigger2 would stay active when moving between inputs that both have it enabled. You could also try splitting the trigger1 output - the signal would be a bit weaker at both, but many devices will still function even after the trigger signal is split.

#61739 - 08/17/06 06:47 PM Re: 12V Trigger and Zone 2 on the Model 990
Michael Moore Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Lansing, MI
This works exactly as gonk describes. I leave my zone 2 active all the time and noticed that doing so leaves the amp powered on when connected to trigger1 even though the 990 is "off". I set each of my sources to use trigger2 instead and it works perfectly.

mike

#61740 - 08/17/06 09:05 PM Re: 12V Trigger and Zone 2 on the Model 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Based on that, Mike, it appears that trigger 2 is only activated by the main zone. That works out nicely for this application...

Who's Online
0 registered (), 99 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts