Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#61454 - 07/29/06 12:54 AM home theater compared to movie theater
billyTHEkid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: PAP Haiti
Hi I am not under what subject to open this, but here it is.

Yesterday, my 3 yearold son asked me to take him to the movies to see the movie Cars. Since its a pixar movie, I also wanted to see it. While watching the movie, I was really disapointed on the surround sound quality.

I've realized that thanks to the 990/7500, my sound quality was far more better quality that the movie theater that I used to love.nnI am not taliking about dbs here, but mainly processing and quality sound. Has anyone else notice this?

#61455 - 07/29/06 07:25 AM Re: home theater compared to movie theater
PapaBear Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Kansas
I refuse to go to the movie theater anymore.
I will watch the movie Cars in my theater without, crying kids, cellphones, etc.
It's a no brainer. Yes I am spoiled smile

Outlaw 990 Pre
Outlaw 7700 Amp
B&W 703's
B&W HTM7 Ctr
Sony SAWX700 Sub
Jvc's Surround
Sharp XVZ-90U DLP Projector
OPPO 970DVD
8' projector screen

#61456 - 07/29/06 08:21 AM Re: home theater compared to movie theater
mzpro5 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Northcoast
I used to average at lest once a week at the theater but now only go for the real big films like King King, Superman Returns etc. In fact I went to see the latest Pirates film last week and during the whole thing I kept thinking how much better it would look and sound on my home system.
Behringer A500
Samsung PN58A650, DirecTV HR-20 700
Sony CDP-545, Phillips CDR 765
Oppo BDP-93, Panasonic DMR E515
Technics SL-DL5
Squeezebox 3
Remote Harmony One

#61457 - 07/29/06 08:37 AM Re: home theater compared to movie theater
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
The last flick I have seen in theaters was Episode III. Theaters are WAY to loud for my tastes and the treble is always extremely harsh. I find my self whincing or wanting to cover my ears most of the time.

I also seem to always get the kid behind me that wants to kick the back of my seat the entire film, and the guy who is 8' tall stiing in front of me.

I used to feel like I was missing the "experience" of a movie theater at home even when my audio was excellent. However, since I got the 92" widescreen and Infocus SP4805 a couple years ago (a suggestion of my wife, believe it or not), I feel MY theater experience is complete.

I also like the fact that I can buy the same size box of candy you get at the movies at Walmart for 88 cents. I figure I pay an average of $8 per DVD I buy and another $2 for the snacks/drinks my wife and I consume during a film. Considering it is at least $25 for us to go to a movie anymore, I'm saving $17 per movie watched at home. I own over 1600 movies. 1600 x $17 = $27,200 I have saved. Man, I'm going to have to show the wife that figure...maybe I should buy more gear with all the money I have saved laugh !

It will take an extremely incredible movie to get me back into a theater again.

...Man, I have been windy lately. Maybe I need to get out more wink

#61458 - 07/29/06 08:48 AM Re: home theater compared to movie theater
Laventura Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montréal,PQ
Without even considering sound...
(Bass, imaging,warmth and clarity)
and the fact that most theaters in my area use the same generic JBL set-up... :rolleyes:
If you've got the screen size, the sound, comfortable seating, the snack of your choice(no over-priced empty calories unless you want them)and no guy with a big head in front of you laugh ...
add the ALMIGHTY pause button...
and movie theaters are out ...for me...
Outlaw 1070-Mirage M-290(main)+MCC(center)+Omnisat Micro(sides) nanosat(back)+ +PS12-90(sub)-Technics SL-5 turtable+Cambridge Audio 540P-HTPC - SamsungDTB-H260F HDTV tuner - Optoma HD 20 +100' Draper screen -lots of spaghetti and toys

#61459 - 07/29/06 01:30 PM Re: home theater compared to movie theater
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm right there with you, billyTHEkid. Years ago, my wife and I went to the movies pretty regularly. The combination of costs (tickets as well as concessions), a baby, upgrades to the home theater, and the limited number of theaters that seemed able to offer reasonable movie-going experiences have curtailed our theater-going to the point where we catch just a couple of movies at the theater each year.

#61460 - 07/29/06 02:42 PM Re: home theater compared to movie theater
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
About a year and a half ago I got out of the AV industry and took a job as general manager of the local cinema. We have a pretty state of the art setup with digital sound and all the usual bells and whistles. But, even with a state of the art facility I still get better sound from my home system than at the theater. I don't go to the movies on my own time either and I don't even have to pay. The only time I watch a movie is if I have scheduled myself to screen one for mistakes.

MY HOME THEATER PICTURES http://community.webshots.com/user/bonesnipe

#61461 - 07/29/06 06:44 PM Re: home theater compared to movie theater
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
BillyTHEkid,
i hear you. Except i feel pretty lucky to have a DLP projector at my local theater.
Cars was smokkin'! the sound is pretty nice also. It is the only theater i'll go to.
I still enjoy my setup and i hear more at home then i do at the theater.

#61462 - 07/30/06 01:14 AM Re: home theater compared to movie theater
billyTHEkid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: PAP Haiti
the Image quality was not bad at all. However, the sound quality was compared to my system, sucks.

#61463 - 07/30/06 08:23 AM Re: home theater compared to movie theater
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Without listing over a dozen reasons I prefer the home theater experience, I have only one reason that prompts me to go to the tortured film based, smelly, frequency response limited, over priced, potential rudeness chamber: some friends still either a) enjoy the theater or b) don't want to wait for the DVD, so I go to enjoy with them. I haven't gone on my own in several years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 146 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts