Just got my unit the other day, did the upgrade, and put it into my system. This took the place of a Denon AVR-2805 I was using as a processor. Its almost perfect for what I was looking for, minimal flashing lights and DSP mode, audiophile quality, enough inputs and adjustability for my tastes and systems... etc

Just wondering, why aren't preamp processors equpped with 24 dB/octave high pass filters when setting the channels to small, especially a unit of this calibre? I was hoping to use the sub out connection, but using my ears and real time analyzer playing with the phase, and distance settings and crossover frequency I just couldn't get my subwoofer to sound right. I really liked using the balanced outputs to directly feed my Cinepro amplifier.

I resorted to turning the subwoofer on the setup menu "off" and setting the front speakers to large. The signal is now sent unbalanced RCA to an AudioControl Richter Scale III crossover (24 dB high/low pass Linkwitz-Riley alignment) to feed the main amp and then a mono signal to the sub. I know this unit isn't exactly the highest quality but I feel the benefits outweigh any detriments.

I haven't tried the 7.1 external inputs on the 990 yet, but with this configuration will the "sub" channel be bass managed back into my "front" channels?

Now my hunt is to find a Bryston 10B electronic crossover...