Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#57370 - 01/22/06 05:42 PM OK - The other AndrewS has decided...
AndrewS Offline
Gunslinger

After a ton more reading - it just seems like the SNAP EQ in the Sherwood was either implemented poorly or isn't ready yet. I did read that Audyssey EQ won't be ported to Cirrus chips - so I hope that Outlaw is working on fixing the issues with the Cirrus Level 2 EQ as implemented by Sherwood or coming up with their own.

Anyway - what finally swayed me in my decision between the Outlaw and the Sherwood was one thing that initially I didn't care about...balanced outputs.

I read a review of my Amp (Sherbourn 5/1500A) in Home Theater magazine. S/N ratio went from -90.25 dBrA on the unbalanced inputs to -98.43 dBrA on the balanced inputs - significant enough for me to finally switch to balanced cables from pre to amp. The noise floor has always been a little too audible for me with the B&K Ref31/Sherbourn combo - the B&K isn't known for its low noise floor anyway.

Bass Management won't be too much of an issue for me at the moment. I cross over at 80Hz and use a Behringer DEQ2496 to dual SVS PCi 20-39's. I've had a Behringer ECM8000 mike and a UB802 mixer so I finally got around to using Room Equalizer Wizard. Wow - if you haven't tried it already - it takes a while to get it calibrated and get used to the interface but a 2 second sweep tone in the bass produced identical results to my manual SPL collecting and graphing.

As soon as I get the 990 in, I am considering doing an A/B comparison to be sure that the Outlaw is up to the challenge...

Where is the printed info on the Outlaw 30 day return guarantee? I can't find anything about it on the website and just in case the Outlaw isn't at least as good as the B&K - which I'm not expecting... laugh

#57371 - 01/22/06 05:49 PM Re: OK - The other AndrewS has decided...
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
I believe the 30 day guarantee is in back of the manual for the unit. I returned the 970 and kept the 990 due to better performance and had no issues returning it whatsoever. Their customer service is second to none.

Let us know how the 990 ends up working out for you.

#57372 - 01/22/06 05:54 PM Re: OK - The other AndrewS has decided...
Relentless Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago,IL
30 day trial click on thirty-day, money back guarantee for more info.

#57373 - 01/22/06 07:02 PM Re: OK - The other AndrewS has decided...
Andrew S Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta
Um, sorry about the screen name. I tried to change it when I saw that it was being used but screen names are not user editable. I'm more than willing to register an account with a new name.

#57374 - 01/22/06 07:43 PM Re: OK - The other AndrewS has decided...
AndrewS Offline
Gunslinger

Nah. No need to change your name - doesn't really matter to me.

Plus - we both are going to have 990's so it doesn't really matter if someone gets us confused... laugh

An additional note to my above comments - turns out the Sherbourn 5/1500A is 110dB S/N A-weighted - the numbers above are what was actually tested by Home Theater mag.

#57375 - 01/22/06 09:19 PM Re: OK - The other AndrewS has decided...
Ed Zeppelin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Now I'm gettin' confused,it should be interesting.By the way,I think you'll like the sound of 990,at least for basic 2ch which is all I have till my other amp gets here.I've listened to music all weekend and a I like it more now than yesterday,for me thats a good thing.While not the last word in hifi(who thought it was for $1.1k) I can tell you its not all hype either.

#57376 - 01/24/06 09:33 PM Re: OK - The other AndrewS has decided...
Landon Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, TX
What an interesting effect of balanced inputs! Thanks for that. Would anyone like to give a treatise on how balanced inputs affects S/N Ratio? Where is a good source for the special cables?

#57377 - 01/24/06 09:46 PM Re: OK - The other AndrewS has decided...
Brad225 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa Fl
Outlaw :-)

#57378 - 01/24/06 09:53 PM Re: OK - The other AndrewS has decided...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Ah, balanced inputs... There were a couple really big, in-depth threads about this issue back in April of last year when the 990 was announced. Sadly, it actually got heated enough in one thread that one of the contributors (soundhound - a very knowledgeable fellow) got a bit burned out and took what appears to be an extended sabbatical from the forum shortly afterward. If you want to re-visit the debate, it makes for some very interesting reading - lots of facts bounced back and forth. The debate started around this post in the rather lengthy "990" thread and eventually moved over to this separate thread .

As for the balanced cables, you can look at Outlaw's Cables section for their PCB cables . Obviously there are other sources - some similarly priced , many more expensive .

#57379 - 01/25/06 08:24 AM Re: OK - The other AndrewS has decided...
gband Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Central NJ
I won't even begin to start another debate on balanced I/O or repeat whats on the other forums. To answer the Landon's question directly, balanced I/O increases S/N because it essentially nullifies common mode noise, and increases the actual signal by 2x. This gives and overall increase in the S/N ratio. Because of this 2x signal, single-ended noise is effectively reduced by 1/2 as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 83 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM