Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#57360 - 01/21/06 10:40 PM Can the 990 display video from one source while out putting audio from another?
tfrostydasnowman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego
Hello all. I’ve been lurking around for awhile and I’m hoping to pick up a 990 amp combo in a few months. I do have a question I couldn’t find an answer here in the forums or in the manual. I might have missed it though. Does the 990 support displaying video from one source and sound from another? For example if I have my xbox hooked up as video 2 and my mp3 player hooked up through tape or AUX, will I be able to play while listening to my music?

#57361 - 01/21/06 10:45 PM Re: Can the 990 display video from one source while out putting audio from another?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Yes, this can be done - assuming the audio is from an audio-only source (tape, aux, or CD). To do so, you want to switch to the video source first and then change to the audio source. The video switching will stay on the last video input.

#57362 - 01/23/06 10:33 PM Re: Can the 990 display video from one source while out putting audio from another?
tfrostydasnowman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego
Hey thanks for the info. Now I just need to save the cash.

#57363 - 01/24/06 10:52 AM Re: Can the 990 display video from one source while out putting audio from another?
AudioBear Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Champaign, IL
I do this all the time. I turn on a basketball or football game and then punch into a radio station because the TV announcers are a waste of time compared to radio. The TV video stays on while the tuner plays.

#57364 - 01/25/06 12:04 AM Re: Can the 990 display video from one source while out putting audio from another?
old_school Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Well.. You also have other options. As far as I know, there is no reason why any one input cannot be mapped to 'other' video sources.

For example, in my system, I have the cable DVR coming into the 990 via component and DVI, but I made one for each, that is, one input (what I call CBL + COMP) gets the video from component and the audio from TOSLINK (optical). The next video input (what I call CBL + DVI) gets its video from the DVI feed on the DVR, but its audio from the same TOSLINK in.

I took a similar approach with my Audio Tron Digital AudioReceiver (A network player that I use to stream .wav files from my music server PC in the computer room (via CAT5)). In other words, I used yet another video input and renamed it ATRN + VID. In this case, I have mapped a TOSLINK input (connected to the Audio Tron) and the component video from the DVR to this '
phantom' video source. I also did this again, only this time, I mapped the DVI rather than the component video.

For me...it's perfect...I can watch the DVR but have the music feed from the audiotron at the same time. So, whenever there's a game on that I want to see (but don't want to hear the commentators and instead, wish to groove on some music), I opt for either of these phantom video sources. The only reason I did this with both component and DVI was just for a little more flexibility.

Try it out...

Mark

#57365 - 01/25/06 11:17 AM Re: Can the 990 display video from one source while out putting audio from another?
old_school Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Just re-reading my (late night) previous post... and to clarify, what I meant was that I map one component input and one DVI input to multiple 'devices' in the 990. That is, I map as needed to what was (be default) Video 1, Video 2, Video 3 'devices' on the 990 and so on.

The 990 does not care that the Video for Video 1 comes from 'device X' and that the audio associated to Video 1 comes from 'device Y'.

Mark

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts