Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#55941 - 09/07/05 11:39 PM Large Speakers crossover behavior
pboulang Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Ok, I purchased the 990/7125 as my first foray in to some good sound. Now, speaker-wise, I started with the Onix Rocket 4x550mkII with RSC200 center. These are all good down to 40Hz, and I originally didn't purchase a sub as I am in tight quarters.

Moving on, nuts to that, I'm getting a sub. Of course, I have questions regarding crossover, but when I do NOT have a sub present I am getting strange (to me) behavior:

Setting I:
SPEAKER SIZE:
R/L: Large
Center: Large
Surr L/R: Large
Subwoofer: None

SPEAKER X-OVER:
R/L: 40Hz
Center: 40 Hz
Surr L/R: 40 Hz

Listening to Blue Man Group: The Complex track 7, Piano Smasher.

Sounds nice, obviously could use some lower end on this track. Let's mess around until my sub comes..

Setting II (everything else the same):
SPEAKER X-OVER:
R/L: 120Hz
Center: 120 Hz
Surr L/R: 120 Hz

Now, since my speakers are still set to large, this shouldn't have any effect, right? Well, this makes the bass BIG, boomy, powerfull, wall shaking (why am I getting a sub again?!). eek

Setting III:
If I say that yes there is a sub, LFE + L/R, then it sounds like it did initially, with the low crossover.. EXACTLY like I expect... sub output is just lost..

I do NOT understand why when I am set large and no sub, the crossover behaves exactly OPPOSITE what I think it should do, i.e. the higher the crossover I set, the more bass I hear.

Am I making sense? Anyone have any thoughts as to what is going on?

Thanks in Advance,

--paul

#55942 - 09/08/05 08:18 AM Re: Large Speakers crossover behavior
Rob Faulkner Offline
Gunslinger

Its my understand that if you set the speaker to large, everything goes to the speaker and only LFE channel goes to the sub.

But it appears by what your saying, that your mains are getting a full signal and the crossovers are sending additional bass to the LFE?

I have not experienced this w/ my 990, but will try.

-Rob

Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts