Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#54197 - 05/28/05 01:04 AM Double bass with CD and Large speakers
bigal Offline
Gunslinger

Anyone notice that if you are listening to a CD and have speakers set to LARGE that the SUB still gets the bass unless you set to bypass mode even with the SUB set to LFE Only? This means that there is no way to avoid double bass in LARGE except to go to bypass mode.

Outlaw has said they might fix this if other people than just me see this as a problem.

#54198 - 05/28/05 11:18 AM Re: Double bass with CD and Large speakers
grok Offline
Gunslinger

Is this the case with a digital input or an analog input, or both?

I have my CD input configured to use a digital input, but I did connect the analog inputs too, and I have the 5.1 outs of my DVD/CD player (a Denon 2910) going into the 7.1 inputs. I've found that the 7.1 inputs don't have double bass in any configuration when speakers are set to large, even if the sub is set to LFE+R/L. It really does seem to be a direct bypass, unless you set the speakers to small in which case the bass management kicks in so the sub gets a signal. Which is what you'd want if you have your speakers set to small of course.

And, like you, I found that, at least on the optical input, I do get double bass unless I go to bypass mode, where even though the sub is set to LFE+R/L, there is no signal to the sub.

For what it's worth, this setup lets me compare the DACs in the 990 with those of the 2910, by switching between bypass mode on the digital CD input and 7.1 inputs. And I find that both DACs are really good. It's going to take a lot of listening to see which I like better, but since I actually prefer to have the sub helping out with the lower bass, I generally will be listening to stereo or upsample mode on the digital input.

I have Paradigm studio reference 40s in front, and the specs say they go down to 59 hz at -2 db, and about 40 hz at -3 db. I've tried setting speakers to small and the crossover at 40, or 60, and I prefer the sound with the speakers set large, with bass from the sub by setting the sub to LFE+R/L. It seems the Paradigms just sound better with a full range signal. Bypass mode, of course, takes the sub out of the picture.

It surprises me, though, that the sub would still get a signal if you have it set to LFE only. Seems like there should be a difference in stereo and upsample modes between having the sub set to LFE only and LFE+L/R. That way, you could choose whether to have the double bass in the stereo or upsample modes.

I hope I stated clearly what I did. I'm still trying out all these settings. I think I'm going to have to make a chart so I can remember what happens with each of them. Also, I'm wondering if I can get my preferred double bass on the 7.1 input when listening to SACDs and DVD-audios. Perhaps I have to set it that way on the Denon, if I'm sure the digital output is still direct without speaker settings applied, so that I'm still using straight signal from the Denon when listening to regular CDs, and applying the 990 settings, and using the speaker setup in the Denon when listening to SACDs.

It's nice to have so many options, isn't it?

Mark

#54199 - 05/28/05 11:38 AM Re: Double bass with CD and Large speakers
grok Offline
Gunslinger

A quick read of the Denon 2910's manual confirms that the digital outputs are unaffected by the speaker settings. So with the 2910 set to bass enhance (the equivalent of LFE+R/L), I'm getting sub signal in the 7.1 analog inputs, but none in the bypass mode on a digital input. How nice for it to work the way I want it!

#54200 - 05/30/05 12:35 PM Re: Double bass with CD and Large speakers
Cliff Watson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Augusta, GA
Quote:
Originally posted by bigal:
Anyone notice that if you are listening to a CD and have speakers set to LARGE that the SUB still gets the bass unless you set to bypass mode even with the SUB set to LFE Only? This means that there is no way to avoid double bass in LARGE except to go to bypass mode.

Outlaw has said they might fix this if other people than just me see this as a problem.
bigal,

Try setting the surround speakers to "large". I have the Sherwood P-965 and can stop redirecting bass to the subwoofer in all modes by setting surrounds to large in addition to the fronts.

#54201 - 05/30/05 11:39 PM Re: Double bass with CD and Large speakers
bigal Offline
Gunslinger

This double bass only occurs if the rears are set to off and the fronts are set to Large. Turning on the rears, or using rear speakers, prevents the double bass. Also, if the surrounds are off, there is no double bass.

Of course, you always get double bass in L/R + Sub mode, but that is what it is susposed to do.

#54202 - 05/31/05 12:35 AM Re: Double bass with CD and Large speakers
Cliff Watson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Augusta, GA
Quote:
Originally posted by bigal:
This double bass only occurs if the rears are set to off and the fronts are set to Large. Turning on the rears, or using rear speakers, prevents the double bass. Also, if the surrounds are off, there is no double bass.

Of course, you always get double bass in L/R + Sub mode, but that is what it is susposed to do.
Some thing for me when enabling the rear surround speakers. However, I can also prevent double bass by turning off or setting the surround speakers to large.

#54203 - 05/31/05 08:02 PM Re: Double bass with CD and Large speakers
bigal Offline
Gunslinger

I just set the fronts to small with 40Hz crossovers. When they fix the problem, I will experiment with other configurations.

Leaving the rears on with a 40Hz crossover is also a possibility although you will get some low bass from the non-existant rear channel. That is why it is important to set the rear crossover low.

#54204 - 05/31/05 08:20 PM Re: Double bass with CD and Large speakers
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Don't have a 990.

Have not read the manual.

Can anyone tell why one would even invite "double bass" or why anyone would ever design for it?

At most I can see having a single big honking button on the front panel or remote that says "push here for double bass" - and have it defeated in all other situations. By the sounds of the gyrations explained above, Outlaw is making this way too hard.

Didn't they learn from the 950?

Jeff mackwood

#54205 - 06/01/05 12:53 AM Re: Double bass with CD and Large speakers
bigal Offline
Gunslinger

It is a bug. I assume they are going to fix it soon.

#54206 - 06/01/05 03:56 PM Re: Double bass with CD and Large speakers
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Ok.

I only asked because it was a design decision in the 950 and wondered if they were attempting to transport that same design philosophy to the 990.

Jeff Mackwood

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 69 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts