Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#90794 - 06/25/12 10:09 AM STAX 50th Anniversary Celebration CD
old_school_2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI, USA
If you have not heard these CDS, you really need to do so. I was lucky enough that one of the branches of my local library had this in its inventory, so I requested the title.

STAX is to Memphis (and southern soul / R&B music) what Motown is (was) to Detroit. These two discs are a veritable treasure trove of some true classics from the '60s and 70's. Indeed, what The Funk Brothers were to Motown (the band who backed most of the tracks) Booker T & the M.G. were to STAX (and its subsidiary, Volt).

There are some great-sounding recordings on these discs (musically and technically), and like the Motown box set, allows the listener to take a stroll through the various artists' offerings (you'll find people like Sam & Dave, The Bar-Kays, Isaac Hayes, The Staples Singers, Otis Redding, Eddie Floyd, Albert King...and the list goes on).

I'm pretty sure that these tracks are remastered (sometimes, this isn't such a good thing...i.e. with the Loudness war in full swing these days), and I have to say that having listened to that version, they did indeed sound quite clean.

On a scale of zero to five stars, I'd rate this compilation as a solid 4.5 or possibly 4.75. The only reason I wouldn't give it a five-star rating is that I would have liked for more tracks to have been included...but I guess that's just being greedy.

Anyway...if you have not heard these discs (and trust me, you have indeed heard many of the tunes that you will find on these two CDs), you really should give yourself a treat. Again, like the Motown box set, to hear the tracks, one after the next, reminds you of just how much talent passed through the doors of STAX records.

Highly recommended.

Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RwAoIuzHj0
email: mark@immersifi.com
linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-jay/5/82a/237

#90809 - 06/26/12 11:12 AM Re: STAX 50th Anniversary Celebration CD [Re: old_school_2]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Interesting. I never heard of STAX before. Has it always been around but just remastered?

#90810 - 06/26/12 11:18 AM Re: STAX 50th Anniversary Celebration CD [Re: beyond 1000]
old_school_2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI, USA
STAX has been around for years...I think they started out as Satellite Records...probably around the late '50's or early '60's. Hugely influential label...

The tunes on the compilation CDs have all been released before - some of those I have in my library, and I really should do an A/B listening test to see if the remastered versions are any better than the originals (or better, srtip out the wav files (remastered versus original) and do some math on them to see if they have been simply cleaned up, or otherwise level-compressed etc).

Anyway...the tunes on the CDs are awesome...and in many cases, I heard tunes that I had either forgotten about, or had (erroneously) attributed to another artist.

Highly recommended.
email: mark@immersifi.com
linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-jay/5/82a/237

#93419 - 08/12/13 08:09 PM Re: STAX 50th Anniversary Celebration CD [Re: old_school_2]
Prsfan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Stax also released a live DVD concert call Stax comes home which is excellent and very well recorded in 5.1 digital. It's an all-star line up for fans of Memphis soul. Bar-Kays, Booker T. and MG's, Issac Hayes performing "Shaft" live plus many more. Highly recommended. I collect concert dvd's and this is a favorite.
Prsfan

Who's Online
0 registered (), 97 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM