Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#51303 - 11/27/06 11:38 PM HDTV Concerns
JFro Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Carson City, NV U.S.A.
I've got questions and concerns about HDTV's future. Right now, I pay a monthly fee for DirecTV. I pay an additional yearly fee for the NFL Sunday Ticket. I pay another monthly fee for HD on DirecTV (and get less than 10 channels). If I want HD (which I'm already paying for) with my NFL Sunday Ticket package (which I've already paid for), I have to pay an addittional yearly fee. In fact, I get local channels on DirecTV - but if I want them in HD, I have to pay extra.

The same goes for my Charter Communications channels. I can get an HD package for Charter's Basic Package (and again, there aren't many channels) but I'll have to pay extra to get the local channels also (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, etc).

Obviously I think this is BS. More importantly, come 2009 when we alledgedly roll over to nothing but HDTV, will we have to pay extra for various packages. If so, I'm not looking forwared to the conversion. Any thoughts on this subject?
Sharp Aquos - LC46E77UN
DirecTV - HD DVR
Mains - Paradigm Studio 80's
Surround - Paradigm ADP-470v-3's
Sub - Paradigm Seismic 12
Center - Paradigm CC-470
Outdoor - Paradigm Style 470's

#51304 - 11/28/06 07:36 AM Re: HDTV Concerns
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm a little surprised that you have to pay extra to your cable service to get the locals in HD - the basic digital cable package around here (which is all that I have) includes the major networks, Discovery, and TNT in HD without any extra, but then again every market does things a bit differently. I'd heard that satellite services tended to hit you with an extra to get HD. Hopefully at some point (as HDTV's continue to become more common and once analog channels are shut down) we'll see cable and satellite services offer more HD stations and at some point scale back on SD stations (set top boxes can downconvert anyway), at which point it'll be a bit harder to charge a premium for the HD service. There's also over-the-air HD, of course, which is free if you have a tuner. There seem to be more and more satellite receivers that are including over-the-air HD tuners. Maybe the end of analog will also bring some less expensive over-the-air HD tuners to market along with the digital boxes that will be required anyway, so folks with "HD-ready" displays can have over-the-air HD as an easier option.

#51305 - 11/29/06 10:30 PM Re: HDTV Concerns
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Hey at least you have some options, :-)
I'm sitting on the edge of the fence now - virtually, I moved from Tallahassee, FL in to a new house 20 miles further south last year. I've about decided I will have to let my current 50" Toshiba die before It makes any sense to upgrade it - It's 6 now.
I'm really disapointed with lack of HD programming in general. I am using DirecTV I live within 35 miles range of 4 of 5 nearest local broadcast stations - All offer HD content. (#5 is 20 only miles)
SAT TV out here - no cable - cable service ends two blocks away . . . but not likely to come over to my block for a few more years - steady but slow growth in this new subdivision.
I'm not sure if HD over cable can be picked up out here yet any way - I'm out at the end edge of cable service. NOTE: It took Comcast about 4 years to implement digital cable with HD up in Tallahassee - HD came in at the very end. Initially I had to put up an outside antenna 30' up due to trees blocking the sat required for local stations and I only picked up 1 of 5 local stations - acceptably viewable. Thank goodness for chain saws and vacant lots out in the woods smile Locals on sat now ! Antenna reception is considered acceptable at my zip code by DirecTV and the local broadcasters so I can not purchase nationwide network stations from DirecTV. DirecTV only offers the SD local stations which all broadcast in HD now but DirecTV has not added these HD feeds as a local HD option or enough other HD content for any cost to really make me to want to commit and immediately invest in a new TV - Sat tuners - etc. + HD programming fees all the way - at this point I would be willing to pay the HD fees + $5 local SD and a $5 nationwide "local" fees to get them as HD options.
No telling if or how long until DirecTv will offer the local HD

Any way as much as I'd like to upgrade to HD I have limited ability to check out various NEW TV's in person should the current one croak tommorow - lack of stores = BB / CC or SEARS, we had an excellent high end AV dealer = Sound Advice that closed up shop - lack of support - 200 miles one way for a decent AV shop in Jacksonville -

So I ask - any recomendations for HD sets that still look 1/2 way decent with SD sat signals - Would 1080P be the way to go ? I'm leaning towards JVC's DILA technology for 50" - 55" range 19 x 9 rear projection - a little concerened over some reports of poor lamp life. If I have to wait a few years prices may become more reasonable on LCD's The newest SONY XBR series LCD's get some good reviews, pricy but 2 years no payments and zero interest . . . .
End of story - Any good reason to get off the HD fence just yet ?

Seperate topic - Kind of related.
Just a thought, the new $2K DVDO can upconvert sources all the way up to 1080 P
I wonder how a 480i sat signal looks after conversion ? I'm not sure but I would assume digital input sources are the only digtally output signals ( HDMI ) - would my older Marantz 300 disk non PS DVD look any better using this type of device or would you get the same results on a new HD set that upconverts signals internally.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts