Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#82519 - 02/20/10 09:31 AM tuners
randy tee Offline
Gunslinger

Hi, My HD set has a built in tuner Ive been using since I went on antenna again. Ive always gotten 6 channels or so. For the heck of it I connected my converter box up to it just to fool around. Instead of 6 channels I got 35 channels with thier sub-channels! Can there be that much difference in tuner sensitivity. Im cosidering getting a outboard tuner that can throw a high def signal to my tv, but I hav'nt seen alot of choices. Anybody know of any? Thanks

#82522 - 02/20/10 04:08 PM Re: tuners [Re: randy tee]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Are you using the same antenna and getting those results? Any chance that you hadn't tried re-scanning with the built-in tuner in a year or so? There could have been a lot of stations not broadcasting or broadcasting at a lower power level prior to the change last year.

#82526 - 02/21/10 04:36 AM Re: tuners [Re: gonk]
randy tee Offline
Gunslinger

I rescan at least once a month with both the converter boxes and my HDTV. It was hooked up to the same wiring and rooftop antenna. My older sets are on rabbit ears is why I thought every thing was the same. With the converter box on rabbit ears I get the same 6 stations as the HD set. this is the first time I tried the converter box on the rooftop antenna. With my HD set tuner I get dayton ohio locals only-with the converter box I get dayton, cincinnati and two columbus stations. And there not weak signals or boderline pickups. The signals from cincy (50 miles away) are around 55-60. Of course The converter is only 480i so I still want HD.

#82527 - 02/21/10 09:04 AM Re: tuners [Re: randy tee]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
My first thought is that the antenna may be a big contributor. Analog rabbit ears are not usually recommended for use with HD tuners. You might check out AntennaWeb for some info on antenna selection - I haven't really messed with it much, except to help a co-worker set up a couple converter boxes.

#82530 - 02/21/10 02:55 PM Re: tuners [Re: gonk]
Bob Becker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, D.C.
Over the air digital tv signals can be really weird. I live within 2 miles of the tower from which all major stations broadcast in D.C. I am on the top of a hill and no buildings come between my attic and the tower. Yet I have trouble with the WRC-TV, the NBC O&O, particularly when it is windy. There is no good explanation for this and the chief engineer at the station really doesn't believe there is a problem.

Most of it went away when I installed a ChannelMaster omnidirectional antenna with an amplifier in the attic. I doubt that I would get WRC at all with rabbit ears. The message here is that you might try installing an amplifier on your roof antenna to see if you can get all those stations without the converter box.

Bob

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM