Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#51726 - 12/09/08 05:17 PM An unusual version of the ubiquitous light switch cover
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Happy holidays, everyone. I've got a non-audio shameless plug for you all this season. A few days ago, I mailed out a few Christmas gifts, but before I boxed them up I took a minute to photograph a couple of them (using an iPhone, so this is not the highest-quality photography on earth). It's not home theater related and you can't order them online (yet), but I thought the folks around here might enjoy it.

You can click on the picture for a larger version.

These are two of a series of switch plates that my dad has started selling through the gift shop at the National Ornamental Metal Museum . You may have seen me post about this museum in the past, as my family has been involved with it since before it opened its doors in 1978 (I remember walking through the main building when there were still leaves on the floor). My dad was the master smith at Repair Days in 2006 (see the art show link at the bottom of my sig), and after he retired from teaching at the Memphis College of Art in 2007 he started looking for some projects to occupy his time. The result was a home-made cope and drag sand casting setup that was used to start making switch plates.

The process goes something like this: make a master out of plastic and metal (or, in the case of the one on the right, plastic, metal, and some very freshly-cut plant life) and place that in the sand casting rig. Remove the master and add molten pewter to the resulting void in the sand to produce a pewter casting. Take the best-looking pewter castings and use them to pull high-heat reusable molds that can accept molden pewter, and then use those high-heat molds to make multiple copies of the cast master. He is also using this process to make a series of Jefferson cups .

#51727 - 12/10/08 02:36 AM Re: An unusual version of the ubiquitous light switch cover
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
OH BOY! I sure hope Gonk hasn't gone Clever little Clocks on us here at the saloon. JK Gonk.

MY HOME THEATER PICTURES http://community.webshots.com/user/bonesnipe

#51728 - 12/10/08 03:01 AM Re: An unusual version of the ubiquitous light switch cover
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Heh-heh... Perhaps I should add a disclaimer: pewter switch covers will not positively or negatively impact your audio or video experience, no matter at what temperature you store them prior to installation. wink

#51729 - 12/10/08 04:52 AM Re: An unusual version of the ubiquitous light switch cover
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
May be prudent to do so gonk.

MY HOME THEATER PICTURES http://community.webshots.com/user/bonesnipe

#51730 - 12/10/08 02:10 PM Re: An unusual version of the ubiquitous light switch cover
Bob Becker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, D.C.
May also be prudent to advise all to make sure the polarity is correct and the box is grounded?

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts