Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#50826 - 01/10/05 04:08 PM CES Report
worldwide Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: las vegas, NV 89031
Dish Network was showing their new HD-DVR model 942, which will be available in March. It's a dual tuner DVR with 2 TV outputs. It has the ability to integrate a broadcast antenna connection directly into the DVR for seamless channel changing. It also has DVI-D and HDMI ouputs. The rep's there said that it will record 25hrs of HD programming including Dolby Digital where available. I personally can't wait for March!
There was a lot of talk at the show about VOOM not making it in the marketplace and possibly being gobbled up by one of the bigger sattelite TV providers.
I watched/listened to a lot of demo's at the show.
I was very impressed with Sony's Qualia line of projectors; in my opinion the best video quality available today outside an IMAX theater. I was also impressed with Paradigm's Studio series of speakers and ProAc's speakers; I'm not sure which models they were demo'ing.
I got a chance to speak to Dr. Hsu at the Hsu Research room but he was busy talking to dealers. As I said, I had a chance:)
A couple of other interesting items. I stopped by Boulder Amplifiers room. Their rep was showing me their high-end preamp with a 1/2" machined aluminum chassis. The 1/2" aliminum front panel is dovetailed onto the sides of the chassis! Even the wording on the remote was machined into the aluminum. Kimber Kable had a show special on their products so I decided to purchase another set of Component Video cables to go with my Outlaw Audio PSC's. The only cables they had left retail for $550. Their show special price was $399. I had forgotten how lucky we are to have Outlaw Audio

#50827 - 01/10/05 11:25 PM Re: CES Report
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
worldwide,

Since you saw the Sony projectors I'm wondering if you got a look at their ChromaVue "black screen"? This is one development that has me psyched but I would like to hear some first hand impressions. Nobody has said anything negative but there must be some drawbacks. They seem to be pairing it with their lcd projectors so I wonder how well it would work with dlp.

#50828 - 01/11/05 12:20 AM Re: CES Report
worldwide Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: las vegas, NV 89031
I don't know if Sony was using that screen in their demo theater or not. Their demo room was the size of a modern movie thater and was very dark, so the ChromaVue screen would have provided no advantage in that environment. It seems like a good idea though for those who don't have a dedicated home theater in their house and instead have a dual-use space that can't be made sufficiently dark.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 132 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM