Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#48693 - 09/16/02 11:40 AM ICBM using 1050 direct pass through
Todd Joseph Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Question on using the ICBM. I'm currently running a rega planet cd player through the analog direct pass through inputs in the 1050 to take advantage of the rega's DAC. I obviously don't get bass management with this set up and I'm considering purchasing the ICBM to provide the bass management. I'm only running stereo and not 5 channels. Am I correct in assuming that the ICBM can split out the .1 channel from a stereo output. Also, do I hook up the ICBM between the cd player and the Outlaw? Finally, how would I go about also attaching a dvd -a or SACP player into the system.

Thanks for any help

Todd

#48694 - 09/16/02 12:00 PM Re: ICBM using 1050 direct pass through
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
1) Yep, the ICBM will produce a .1 channel from the Rega's stereo signal.

2) I would suggest locating the ICBM between the CD player and 1050's 6-channel input (left and right analog out from the Rega to the left and right inputs on ICBM; left, right, and sub outputs from the ICBM to the 1050's 6-channel input).

3) Adding a DVD-Audio or SACD player would become a little tricky, since you just used the 1050's one and only 6-channel input. You would probably want to use the ICBM for those as well, since you'd already have it. A switchbox upstream of the ICBM would let you use both the Rega and a DVD-A or SACD player. In your case, you could potentially get by with a single Radio Shack switch box on the left and right inputs of the ICBM (just don't leave the DVD-A/SACD player running when listening to the Rega, since the other channels from that player would be going straight to the ICBM at all times). Many people with DVD-A and SACD players have reported very good results using simple RS switch boxes to connect two 5.1 analog sources to a single 5.1 analog input. Some other people have elected to hunt down the Sony TAP-9000es ($400 or so), which is a 5.1 channel selector switch with several inputs. There is also a custom-built switch box available, although it's not cheap either.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited September 16, 2002).]

#48695 - 09/16/02 02:51 PM Re: ICBM using 1050 direct pass through
Todd Joseph Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the quick reply, I just made the jump into bass management. I did a quick sketch and I can't believe how many sets of interconnects I'm going to need to set this up.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 104 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM