Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#48564 - 12/03/01 01:04 PM Before or after Pre/Pro
kuzia Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I wonder where is the best place to put it - BEFORE Pre/Pro or between Pre/Pro and Amp, disabling somehow your Pre/Pro bass management functions.
It looks like Outlaw suggest the first, but it is not clear why (attenuation?).

#48565 - 12/03/01 01:17 PM Re: Before or after Pre/Pro
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I think it depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you are looking for bass management for a DVD-Audio or SACD player only, you'd want to put it between the player and the pre/pro. In that case, the pre/pro's bass management would still be used for all other sources (DVD video player, CD player, LaserDisc player, etc...). It is also possible, however, to put it between the pre/pro and the amp and disable the pre/pro's bass management (if the pre/pro's bass management for stuff like digital inputs is disappointing). I think Outlaw suggests the first (before the pre/pro) more than the second in their manual, but that's likely because the ICBM was conceived to provide bass management for DVD-Audio and SACD players rather than as a bass management add-on to a pre/pro.

#48566 - 02/19/02 04:39 PM Re: Before or after Pre/Pro
Gary Hudson Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: London KY USA
I was wondering the same thing. I will want to control bass on DVD-A but if the bass management is so good what is the downside to setting my preamp to large speakers all around and letting the ICBM do all the bass routing? I don't have any gripes with my preamp's bass management. Would it be easier to separate the bass management duties for everything else?

#48567 - 02/20/02 10:01 AM Re: Before or after Pre/Pro
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I think someone mentioned in one of the other fora (was it Charlie?) that you could potentially get time alignment problems with this sort of setup, as bass really needs to be extracted before the time alignment is performed.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#48568 - 02/20/02 12:00 PM Re: Before or after Pre/Pro
charlie Offline
Desperado

Nah - not me ;-) (really!)

But it's true. The niftiest solution so far IMO was the guy (RAF?) that told the pre/pro to send all bass to front and then stuck the ICBM before the amp on the front channels, kind of a special purpose active crossover.

Hopefully the next pre/pro will get better bass management.

Charlie

#48569 - 02/20/02 02:01 PM Re: Before or after Pre/Pro
Gary Hudson Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Yeah, I did a search and couldn't find the post. But I'm still confused. In a 5.1 system with dvd-a, and/or sacd plus satellite, vcr, etc. is it best to go one way or the other, easier to adjust one way or the other, or does no one know for sure. Assume all small mains, center, and surrounds with a decent sub.
As an aside, is there an option to buy the inconnects as a package deal with 12 instead of six. It seems jto me you'll need connectors going to and from the icbm. Why do they only list 6 interconnects as an option?
G.

#48570 - 02/20/02 02:07 PM Re: Before or after Pre/Pro
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
This is a situation where an ICBM with built-in switching (mentioned in earlier threads) would be a definite plus. Alternatively, a switch box before the ICBM would do, but that involves 24(!) interconnects...

As an additional request... one of the switch boxes out there has a built-in remote trigger. The guy wants $200 for it, which I'm sure some people will pay. Integrating that into the ICBM would add a lot of value to it, and I doubt they'd have to charge an additional $200 to break even. If the 950 or its successor had a programmable trigger it would make a great integration. Even better, the 950 would have an additional "input" that would select the 5.1 input and send voltage on the trigger, allowing complete integration. That way you wouldn't have to use up two unused inputs, as the guy suggests on his web page.

As to 12 interconnects... yeah, there is a discount. You get twice the discount as buying 6 interconnects. smile

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#48571 - 02/20/02 03:17 PM Re: Before or after Pre/Pro
Gary Hudson Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Yikes! 24 more interconnects plus another switchbox? I think I'll go the other way and just use it for the bass on dvd-a/sacd. Thanks for your help Matthew.

I wish I had your knowledge of earlier threads.

Gary
(soon to be ordering icbm plus 12 interconnects)

#48572 - 02/20/02 05:18 PM Re: Before or after Pre/Pro
charlie Offline
Desperado

Assuming the specified setup - all small with a sub - you could tell the pre/pro that you have large fronts, then insert the ICBM between the fronts and LFE. Let the ICBM shave the bass from the fronts, redirect to the sub.

Total additional components - 3 cables.

Left, LFE, Right pass through the ICBM. Just be sure the delay is the same for LFE and fronts. As a bonus you can have stereo subs later.

Charlie

#48573 - 03/12/02 01:13 PM Re: Before or after Pre/Pro
bstan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
Charlie,

Quote:
Assuming the specified setup - all small with a sub - you could tell the pre/pro that you have large fronts, then insert the ICBM between the fronts and Sub. Let the ICBM shave the bass from the fronts, redirect to the sub.
Total additional components - 3 cables.

Yes, that is definately a workable solution, as I use it today with a Marchand XM9-L electronic stereo xover. Benefits of the XM9 are level controls for both high-pass and low pass, level control at the exact xover frequency, a bass sum switch (L+R) and 24dB Linkwitz-Riley xovers for both high-pass and low-pass. You customize the xover frequency with replaceable plug-in resistor packs.

This allows for bass control from all source components.

Wish the ICBM had symmetrical 24dB L-R filter choices.

bstan

[This message has been edited by bstan (edited March 12, 2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 89 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM