Hello Outlaws!

My next purchase will be a new pre/pro, until then I will use my Sony ES receiver for those duties. I don't plan to expand to a rear center channel even after a pre/pro upgrade unless necessary.

My knowledgs of the current state of surround processing technologies is very limited. I'm leaning toward the 950, but have several questions.

To start, here is a little info on my current system:

Speakers:
front - Infinity Kappa 8.1
center - Infinity Kappa center
rear - Infinity Kappa 5.1
(could possibly get hold of another 5.1 for a center rear if needed)

Amplifier:
ATI 2505 (250 x 5)
(has not arrived yet)

Pre/Pro:
Sony ES 5.1 receiver
(for now)

Media Sources:
DVD, CD, S-VHS, Dish Network w/PVR, Playstation 2

TV:
Mitsu 35" console
(upgrading to HD after the pre/pro purchase)

Here are some questions I have regarding the 950:

1) I am very interested in DPL II. It seems to be regarded as a great enhancement. Does it work when only 5.1 speakers are connected (no rear center channel)?

2) Can you set the 950 up to only use a 5.1 configuration? If so, does it convert the 6.1/7.1 formats reasonably well to the 5.1 format?

3) Can the 950 auto-detect the incoming format and set itself appropriately? If so, can you default it to use another format (like DPL II or Cirrus Extra) instead when it auto-detects?

4) Are there any important features missing from the 950 that I will regret later?

5) I've seen mention of a possible new Outlaw Pre/Pro in the works. I'm guessing it will fit the new alignment of the 950/7100 combo and be the new companion for the 755 and 770 amps. Has this new unit been confirmed by Outlaw? Is there any additional info available?

If there is a new model on the (not too distant) horizon I would consider waiting. I am aware of the hiss issue, but would consider trying the 950 out in my environment to see how it sounds.

Please post all info/comments/opinions you may have. :-)

Thanks,

Sayer

[This message has been edited by SayersWeb (edited November 08, 2002).]