Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#47369 - 07/22/03 10:04 PM Sound to bright even with theatre comp on
saintinno Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I've had older Rotel equipment and am wanting to upgrade. Because of the
30 day evaluation period I decided to purchase the 950. I like all the features of the 950 but would prefer more of a warmer sound. I guess having Klipsch speakers may be one cause for the brightness, but I did not have that problem
with the Rotel. Does anyone else have a problem with the sound being too bright?
I've tried the bass management and it was unsatisfactory. Is the Rotel 1066 worth the difference in price? Sound is more important to me than features.

Thanks for suggestions.

#47370 - 07/23/03 11:24 AM Re: Sound to bright even with theatre comp on
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
The 950 as a processor shouldn't make your speakers sound any brighter than they already are. Did you purchase an amplifier from Outlaw at the same time?

If you still have your older amps, you can use the 950 as a pre-amp for them. That way you can maintain your preferred sound while encompassing some of the newer features of the 950.

Also, if you don't have external amplification, you could purchase a Rotel multi-channel amp instead of the Outlaw to stay with a brand whose sound you may be used to.

Sorry if any or all of this is something you may have already thought of. Just trying to throw out some suggestions...

#47371 - 07/24/03 01:59 AM Re: Sound to bright even with theatre comp on
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I find the 950 quite neutral. Unless it's just the difference between that and what you had.

Quote:
I've tried the bass management and it was unsatisfactory.

This doesn't really have anything to do with "brightness," "forward," or "warm,", but what exactly did you try? The 950's BM is quite flexible in fact. More flexible than the 1066's, btw...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#47372 - 07/24/03 08:59 PM Re: Sound to bright even with theatre comp on
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Neutral here also.

I have (warm) VA's now. Had (bright) DT's when I first purchased the 950. It did not increase the DT's 'brightness' but did slap them silly providing me with greater 'detail' out of them. In fact it was equivelent to increasing their FR a bit, I'm sure the perceived extended range out of them was just a by product of greater clarity. It did not however turn them into something they were not, (my preferred kind of pre... leave the speakers to their own 'voice'). JME

You might try TC at 'off' and move your Treble/bass controls under your "Input config" menu at a few diffrent settings +/-

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited July 24, 2003).]

#47373 - 07/24/03 09:52 PM Re: Sound to bright even with theatre comp on
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Some have said that the detail (brightness) seems to mellow after a period of time. Maybe you need to give it some time? To me the Outlaw 950 gave my speakers "More". With more sound, in my room, I had to turn the Heil air-motion tweeters/midrange down. The adjustment on the back of the speakers allows for bright, normal and soft. I have set them all to medium, even after the 950 break in.

------------------
MeanGene's Home

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts