Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#46367 - 04/21/03 07:05 PM Cooling suggestions
jimr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Livermore, CA, USA
Okay, I guess I could post this in the Tips and Tricks or the Amp section of the Forum, but I figure anyone with a 950 must be using an external amp, so this is a good place to start.

Can you suggest a good way to cool my 950/750? They are in a standard stereo cabinet. The cabinet has a glass door and wide slot in the back for wiring. I have tried AC and DC fans, but they are all too noisy, also it would be nice to have something which is temp controlled and turns on automatically etc.

#46368 - 04/21/03 11:13 PM Re: Cooling suggestions
zakman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Bernard, TX USA
You could always get a AC to 12v DC converter and run some temp controlled fans. I got my power supply from partsexpress.com and my fans from directron.com. I got a temp controlled fan...very very quiet... http://directron.com/uc001btc.html

#46369 - 04/23/03 06:05 PM Re: Cooling suggestions
Kiwi Offline
Gunslinger

I cannot believe you need to cool this amp. It is the coolest running amp I've ever had or seen. Mine barely gets discernably warm after hours of use, and 3 channels have 4ohm loads!

Quote:
Originally posted by jimr:
Okay, I guess I could post this in the Tips and Tricks or the Amp section of the Forum, but I figure anyone with a 950 must be using an external amp, so this is a good place to start.

Can you suggest a good way to cool my 950/750? They are in a standard stereo cabinet. The cabinet has a glass door and wide slot in the back for wiring. I have tried AC and DC fans, but they are all too noisy, also it would be nice to have something which is temp controlled and turns on automatically etc.

[This message has been edited by Kiwi (edited April 23, 2003).]

#46370 - 04/23/03 08:41 PM Re: Cooling suggestions
Dane Offline
Gunslinger

I've watched one movie with my 950 sitting directly on top of a 770 (yes, I know it's a NO NO). When I was over I was surprised how warm/hot they had gotten.

The new entertainment center will be finished next week will have solid shelves between each componant to make sure the heated air from one does not feed into the bottom of another. Other than that I'm hoping that the doors open on the front and several large wiring/vent holes in the back will be enough. If anybody thinks I need to install a pair of turbo diesel cooling fans let me know. It's still not too late to add them.

#46371 - 04/23/03 09:12 PM Re: Cooling suggestions
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
My 755 is in a bottom cabinet area of my entertainment center with doors, but I cut out an area about the size of the 755 in the back and I've been concerned about heat, but after many many hours of use it's only warm to the touch.... My Tivo definately gets hotter than that does.......

#46372 - 04/23/03 11:29 PM Re: Cooling suggestions
zakman Offline
Gunslinger

Well, I dont have the outlaw amps. If I had not gotten the awesome deal on my adcom amp (less than half of normal price), I would definately have an outlaw amp. My adcom puts out a little heat, not too bad, but I put an 8cm fan over my adcom and one of my 950...I guess that is just a little offshoot from my computer overclocking days!

#46373 - 04/24/03 08:10 AM Re: Cooling suggestions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
My 750 stays only warm, not hot, but it also has fairly decent ventilation (completely open front and back, plus a little over an inch clear above it). The glass door will definitely trap heat well. Only possibility would be cutting away the back of the cabinet at the 750 and 950 -- not only will it give some better ventilation, but it may also make wiring easier.

Zakman's recommended fan looks to be pretty quiet if you need the extra airflow. The noise shootout included at the directron site would suggest that the temperature controlled fan he's using is quieter than most.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#46374 - 04/25/03 02:18 PM Re: Cooling suggestions
jimr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Livermore, CA, USA
This may solve heat problems for some of you. I have one on order, and plan to install it on top of my 750. I just hope it isn't too noisy.

http://www.shop-at-zerus.com/zerus/notebookcooler.html

#46375 - 04/25/03 05:38 PM Re: Cooling suggestions
Norman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Great Falls, VA
According to its specs, the Radio Shack 8cm 12vdc fan (item 273-239, $17) is much quieter at 25db than the Directron fan mentioned above. I use two of these fans to cool my equipment cabinet, which has ventilation holes in the back but a solid door in the front (I prefer my audio equipment to be heard, not seen). They are VERY quiet and, being brushless, inject no hum into my system or into the audible spectrum. I have excellent hearing and I can hear the fans when there is no sound output; the majority of visitors cannot hear them at all at normal listening distance, and even a very low sound output level hides the fan noise completely. I will comment that not all of these fans are created equal; when I purchased them, I noticed immediately that one of the fans was noticeably less quiet than the other and exhcanged the noisier one.

#46376 - 04/25/03 11:32 PM Re: Cooling suggestions
zakman Offline
Gunslinger

All fan rating are not created equal. I dont know if manufacturers are just stupid or lie. I have not heard the RS ones you are talking about, but I cannot hear mine unless I get about 2-3 feet around my equipment. I watched a few movies in a row the other weekend and the fan on my amp (adcom) was starting to get a little more audible, but if you had doors on the front of your entertainment center...nothing would be heard!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 135 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts