Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#45942 - 03/26/03 09:51 PM Mono????
rghinton Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Green Bay, WI USA
There are times that I want to do some reconfiguration or testing of my system and I want to have a mono channel. Right now I am comparing two mono speaker systems. I want everything to go to the one mono speaker so I can listen to it and then I want everything to go to the other mono speaker so I can listen to it. I will then decide which system I like the best and then build and use my choice for each of my front channels. Is there any way to sum the channels by switching, or is the best that I can do is to connect the left and right channel through a "Y" adapter and switch to the two channel Stereo mode?

#45943 - 03/26/03 10:37 PM Re: Mono????
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Whatever you do, don't sum the outputs of any electronic device through a "Y" adapter. Doing this can cause damage to the 950's output stage. It's OK to use a "Y" for inputs however.

I really don't know of any easy way to get a mono summed signal with the 950 alone. It is OK to sum the outputs through build-out resistors of around 4k7 ohms, but unless you can make such an adapter, you might have to search around, possibly at Radio Shack.

#45944 - 03/27/03 03:09 AM Re: Mono????
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Maybe a different application, but here is what I do to get a mono signal to any channel I want: I use ETF sound analysis software on my PC. Comes out of one channel (the other is routed directly back into my sound card and used to remove the noise that is present). Anyway, I take that one line, and use a Y connector into video 3 (but obviously, you can use any input you want, even including the front L/R of the 5.1 input). And then by using stereo 7 channel, voila, the same exact signal to all speakers. To get just one speaker, you either have to disconnect cables to the power amp, or just decrease the level in the 950's speaker calib enough that it isn't audibly relevant.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#45945 - 03/27/03 12:23 PM Re: Mono????
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I’m sure what your up too involves test tones, analyzers etc. And this is probably inconsequential, but if you want some assorted ready mixed ‘Mono’ material to run through? One of my all-time favorites is being released to DVD April 1st. (available B&N's) Paramounts’ “The Ghost and Mrs. Muir”

I believe this is a mono track, repeated stereo FL/FR. (a bit of a gripe really).

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts