Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#45304 - 02/25/03 11:19 AM Honest Opinion of the 950
WFulp Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
I have been following the 950 for a long time and am ready to upgrade to separates. I currently use an Onkyo TX-DS898 receiver with 110 watts for each of the 7 channels. It has been a great fill in piece but I am ready to move more into the high end. My question is this - is the 950 truly a high end piece or are there too many corners cut to achieve the price point? It seems that the 950 competes well with other pre/pros up to the $1500 - $1600 price point but then loses out above that (as it should - it only costs $899). I am concerned about not moving that much forward beyond the capabilities of a good a/v receiver. I have already ordered the Anthem PVA7 amplifier (105 watts per 7 channels) and will use the Onkyo as a pre/pro to defray the costs somewhat. I am seriously considering the Rotel RSP-1066, Adcom GTP-860, and on the high end the Anthem AVM20 (the dealer would have to give me a really good discount). Any advice about the 950 in relation to these other pieces would be appreciated.

#45305 - 02/25/03 12:25 PM Re: Honest Opinion of the 950
jwallace Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Richardson, Texas, USA
If you have not read the reviews on the 950, you should. They are probably the best way to get an impartial opinion. There are two on the Outlaw web site. I was converted to a believer with their first five channel amp and have had good experiences with their cables and ICBM.

Good luck finding anything near their price for the quality and service they offer.

#45306 - 02/25/03 12:57 PM Re: Honest Opinion of the 950
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I think it really boils down to features, cosmetics and flexibility, and how much you're willing to pay for them. In terms of sound quality, you're probably right in your assessment.

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#45307 - 02/25/03 09:02 PM Re: Honest Opinion of the 950
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I would agree with the consensus so far:

The sound quality itself is of audiophile (or high end) quality, but there are some rough edges. Heck, even the Perfect Vision gave it a really good review! And they are the most critical publication I know of (other than Stereophile, which hasn't reviewed it yet).

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#45308 - 02/27/03 01:56 PM Re: Honest Opinion of the 950
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stone Mtn., Ga./USA
i've compared it to the adcom at about $1695, the parasound at $2500, and another one that retails at $4500 (at a friends house). the latter does beat out the outlaw. sound quality is amazing for all formats and the menu 'setups' are endless. i, personnally, feel that outlaw picked the best options for system setups...leaving out ones i really don't need. i use a hi-end pre-amp (tube) now for turntable. i do like the 'sound' of the 950 and the flexibilty. Hi-end? that's become a very worn term. i bought the 950 only a month ago and am 'lovin' every minute of it'.
p.s. the guy with the $4500 unit came over to listen...he liked it a lot.

------------------
t higg

#45309 - 02/28/03 01:47 PM Re: Honest Opinion of the 950
Dan Hitchman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fort Collins, CO USA
I would say it's an okay pre-amp for the money. Whether something like a Denon 3803 receiver used only as a pre-amp would be better or not, I don't really know, but it may be something to consider looking into.

While I do like the 950 overall (since it has no internal amps to worry about possible interference or heat), as Kevin pointed out it does have some rough edges to it with its user interface. It also loses a few automated conveniences you might find on a good mid-line receiver.

The buttons on the face plate could have been more refined in terms of a "cheapness-factor" that prevails with those used. On the flip side, the backend has very good quality gold plated jacks everywhere and a detachable IEC power cord (you could upgrade to a shielded boutique brand of IEC compliant cord if you wanted to). Most receivers don't have gold plated connectors or detachable power cords.

I also have a problem with their bass management design for the 5.1 analog inputs. When you turn the 5.1 input toggle switch to OFF, it is not a pure bypass to the volume control as it should have been. Unless you want to potentially foul up your DVD-Audio or SACD system calibration you have to leave the fixed 80 Hz cut off ON (and not use any internal bass management or time delay in the player itself).

Dan

#45310 - 02/28/03 03:32 PM Re: Honest Opinion of the 950
charlie Offline
Desperado

There are ways around the double bass problem - some pretty good, others sort of convoluted, but I agree that it's kind of silly to have the problem in the first place. Tells me the design team didn't really think the feature list through to it's logical conclusion, or didn't care.

#45311 - 02/28/03 07:42 PM Re: Honest Opinion of the 950
harleyman43 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Eden,New York
THIS IS MY OPININION ONLY!!!!I did have a Top of the line "bells and whistles" Yamaha 5 channel reciever before I purchased the 950/770 combo. I have a friend who has a Mcintosh amp and pre-amp and a friend who has the exact same amp and pre-amp I just purchased a short week and a half ago ( The Outlaw).
Now although I always was rather partial to the big blue meters on the Mac, the system did not seem very versitale to my kind of system, and my kind of room (27by 15).His room was square 15 by 15. It cost him 4800.00 just for the combo. I'm don't think price should really be the factor in high end or middle of the road.You will have the oppurtunity to audition the OUTLAW in your own home for 30 days.
Hands down my listening space is way better than both of my buds.I must have at LEAST 200 music DVD's and over 1000 CD's which impress me with every playing. MY OPINION ONLY!!!! I will say this , I do drive the best Motorcycle in the world anyway.

#45312 - 02/28/03 11:02 PM Re: Honest Opinion of the 950
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
.... I do drive the best Motorcycle in the world anyway.

What a relief. For a minute I thought you rode a Harley instead. [GD & R]

#45313 - 03/01/03 10:43 AM Re: Honest Opinion of the 950
jcmccorm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, AL, USA
----------------
I will say this , I do drive the best Motorcycle in the world anyway.
----------------

Harleyman, I was with you on your 950 opinion until you made the above statement. You can still edit your post you know.

Cary

2002 BMW GS1150 Adventure...
(the best motorcycle in the world!)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 129 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts