Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#45019 - 02/08/03 05:32 PM speaker delay settings
neal Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: galion oh
Due to a very large and heavy center channel speaker, B&W CDM-CNT, I am forced to place this on a shelf about three feet behind the plane of my front speakers. In configuring the speaker distances in the 950 set-up menu it is very easy to specify a longer distance to the center speaker than to the front speakers. My question is what does the 950 do with these distance settings? Are the front speakers delayed by the amount necessary for the sound to reach the listener fully integrated? I have never heard of a processor with the ability to do this. Along the same vein, my surround speakers, B&W CDM-SNTs, are on the side walls about two feet above ear level. Should I input 0 ft. since the speakers are not behind me, or should I average the distance from speaker to ear? Since using my 950/755 combo I have come to appreciate the benefits of precise speaker calibration and am wondering if precise delay settings will further improve an already outstanding set-up.

#45020 - 02/08/03 11:11 PM Re: speaker delay settings
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There were some heated debates on this subject about a year ago at Home Theater Forum when it was learned that the 950 uses the same delay setting for surround and surround back channels. The 950 will delay the signals to the mains (and surrounds and center as needed) so that all of the signals reach the listening position at the same time. As for the surrounds, I would use the distance from speaker to listening position (so if they are in line with the listening position but ~5' to either side, use 5'). If they are different distances apart, I'd probably average them. This is actually a fairly common features on surround processors. Some people are particularly sensitive to time delay variations, while others can not notice the effects. Either way, I'd strongly recommend taking a few minutes with a tape measure and getting the delay settings as accurate as possible.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#45021 - 02/10/03 05:58 PM Re: speaker delay settings
manuel Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I don't know if this will help but my back surrounds are 9ft away vs 5ft for my side surrounds, so I increased the channel calibration level of my back surrounds by 3db and that seemed to provide an acceptable balance. I got the idea from the Manual for the CS-3X Jr Hometheater surround decoder made by SMART DEVICES INC. ( Smart Home Theater), which I intend to purchase in order to add an overhead channel to my 959/770 based Hometheater.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts