Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#44078 - 01/13/03 11:52 AM 950 CALIBRATION
JAMMINJC Offline
Gunslinger

Question for Soundhound: In calibrating my 950, I used my Video Essentials disc for the calibration. All channels are within 1/2db of 75db on my radio shack analog meter. The distance settings are 10 feet for the main l/c/r channels and 11 feet for the surrounds. My main l/r speakers are set at +2, my center is set at +8 and my surrounds are set at +10. My speakers are all very high sensitivity Klipsch models rated as follows main l/r 102spl, center 95spl and surrounds 93spl. My amps are Paraound 2 channel on the main l/r and and a 3 channel B&K on the center and surrounds. Both amps are at full throttle on their volume pots. I only have digital connections for my cd and dvd players. I have read in the saloon where some users were setting their speaker calibration levels aT 0db. Am I doing something wrong in setting up the 950?

#44079 - 01/13/03 12:40 PM Re: 950 CALIBRATION
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
If you notice, there is a general correlation between the amount of relative trim boost between channels, and the sensitivity of the speakers for those channels. That can explain some of the difference. The amps could also have different sensitivities, i.e. the amount of voltage into the amp to put a certain power out. If all this is true, then there is not much else to do. You might confirm the calibrations using the internal noise generator in the 950. If there is a huge difference, there might be something wrong somewhere. I know there is an issue with the Avia disc that is meant to be used at 85db rather than 75db, but the Video Essentials I believe is meant for 75db. Might double check in the booklet, or the on-screen instructions. If you don't get audible hiss at reasonable distances from the speaker and the calibrations are correct, I'd say it is just sensitivity differences betweeen the speakers / amps.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts