Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#43634 - 12/26/02 09:11 PM Help!!!!!!!! LFE is gone!
Scott Griscom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
Seems the LFE subwoofer out is no longer functioning on my 950. In connecting a new cable to the back of my 950, the subwoofer out cable came out and grounded on the outside of the RCA connection. I heard the loud hum like when a guitar cord is unplugged from an amplifier with the power still on. Anyway, I thought nothing of this until I noticed no sound from my subs. I switched the subs always on instead of triggered and still no sound. I went through the trim calibration and still no sound. Checking my speaker setup I noticed that the subwoofer option which can be toggled to on or off in the setup menu is stuck on on. I cannot change the setting. Following the instructions I unplugged the 950 for 5 minutes, still no sound. Then I did the manual reset, recalibrated and still no sound.

I feel there is an issue with the sub out line from the 950, but cannot guarantee there is not something wrong with my subs. I can get them to hum by grounding the cable which tells me, they are still alive.

Any help is appreciated.

Scott

#43635 - 12/26/02 09:56 PM Re: Help!!!!!!!! LFE is gone!
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Sounds like you may need to contact Outlaw. I would suggest a manual reset (the one where you take the volume knob off), but it appears you already did that. You might have zapped something, but your best bet is to talk to Outlaw.

#43636 - 12/26/02 09:58 PM Re: Help!!!!!!!! LFE is gone!
Scott Griscom Offline
Gunslinger

That's kind of what I figured. I am awaiting the shipment of my "hiss free" replacement unit any day now so hopefully this is only a temporary setback. Any idea how I can verify the powered subwoofers are not at fault here?

Scott

#43637 - 12/26/02 10:30 PM Re: Help!!!!!!!! LFE is gone!
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
scott,

shut the 950 off, disconnect one of the front main outputs and plug the sub in there.

i don't know if you set your speakers to large or small, but you might try the opposite.

you can also disconnect the sub from the 950 and plug it straight into the analog sub output of your player. without a preamp, you won't get full output, but it should verify that your sub is ok.

#43638 - 12/26/02 11:27 PM Re: Help!!!!!!!! LFE is gone!
Iggy The Dog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Dog House
Scott:

A word of caution from an old doggie: Wohen making the connection, were both the 950 AND the sub on? To save yourself grief in the future, it's always a good idea to turn everything off when you are connection new gear to the system. Otherwise, I'd go with bosso's suggestion to see if you accidentally fried something in your 950.

But what do I know, I'm only a dog!

ARF ARF (and Happy New Year) says Iggy

ARF, ARF says Iggy

#43639 - 12/27/02 08:58 AM Re: Help!!!!!!!! LFE is gone!
Scott Griscom Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for all of the replys and suggestions. When changing the subwoofer cable to a different output I noticed, like a dummy, that I had plugged the subwoofer cable back in to the coax connection not the sub out. Voila, the sub is fixed, however I still can't toggle the subwoofer on and off in the setup menu. Not to worry, I plan on leaving it on anyway just wanted to pass on the issue.

Thanks again to all!

#43640 - 12/27/02 09:55 AM Re: Help!!!!!!!! LFE is gone!
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Never quite understood why those coax SPDIF outputs use the same RCA connector as every other thing on the back of the unit. You'd think they would have made it at least a little different.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#43641 - 12/27/02 12:02 PM Re: Help!!!!!!!! LFE is gone!
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Hill:
Never quite understood why those coax SPDIF outputs use the same RCA connector as every other thing on the back of the unit. You'd think they would have made it at least a little different.

I believe it's a different color Sorry Matt, couldn't resist.......

#43642 - 12/27/02 12:10 PM Re: Help!!!!!!!! LFE is gone!
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello Scott,

Glad to see you were able to get the sub issue mostly fixed. As a side note, you can not turn the sub off in the configuration menu unless the front speakers are set to "large".

Best,

Scott

#43643 - 12/27/02 12:14 PM Re: Help!!!!!!!! LFE is gone!
Scott Griscom Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the comment about the SW setting Scott. Glad to see that nothing was damaged.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts