Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#43399 - 12/11/02 12:36 PM Digital outs - any signal passed from analog source?
Philip Hamm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
If I put an analog source into my 950, say a cassette tape, will the digital outs send any data? I suspect that the 950's analog-to-digital conversion is better than that of my Sony MDS-JB920 Minidisc deck. It would be nice to use the digital out of the 950, especially since the 950 only has one tape loop and I have two tape loop needs (cassette deck and MD deck).

#43400 - 12/11/02 01:54 PM Re: Digital outs - any signal passed from analog source?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't have any components that can make use of the digital outs on the 950, so I haven't ever tested it. The manual is not explicit on how the digital outputs are handled; it says "If your recorder has a digital input jack, connect it to either the coaxial or optical output jack on the preamp/processor. The signal from the selected digital input source of the Model 950 will be sent to the recorder," which would suggest that the A/D conversion is available to those outputs. We also know that the analog inputs generally pass directly to the A/D conversion so the 950 can process the signal, so it's very likely that the digital output does work with analog inputs. If nobody else pops in to verify it either way from first-hand experience, a quick e-mail to Scott or Mike ( info@outlawaudio.com ) should be able to get you an answer.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#43401 - 12/11/02 03:33 PM Re: Digital outs - any signal passed from analog source?
Philip Hamm Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
The signal from the selected digital input source of the Model 950 will be sent to the recorder
This leads me to believe that only inputs from a digital source will be passed along to the digital output, excluding analog outputs. Kind of a bummer as I really need two tape loops, one for cassette, one for MiniDisc. If the digital output always outputs an A/D signal from the analog inputs I can do without the second tape output and just use a digital out.

I'll find out soon enough.

#43402 - 12/11/02 04:01 PM Re: Digital outs - any signal passed from analog source?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
This is in another thread somewhere but...

Analog inputs to analog outputs, and digital ins to digital outs. Not vice versa.

That's the way my Sony TA-E9000ES worked too.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#43403 - 12/11/02 05:11 PM Re: Digital outs - any signal passed from analog source?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Oop. Brain definitely fried these days... I read that last sentence twice I think, looking for a "digital only" qualifier, and didn't even see it.

You could use the zone 2 outputs for a second tape loop, although you'd have to work out where to set the zone 2 volume. Or use the audio outs for the VCR record loop if you don't have a VCR...

(Back to drafting and ductwork sizing...)

------------------

#43404 - 12/12/02 10:27 AM Re: Digital outs - any signal passed from analog source?
Philip Hamm Offline
Gunslinger

VCR is looped already - need that for recording from satellite (Video 1).

How about running a Y-adapter out of the tape out and going to both tape machines? (cassette is AUX1)

#43405 - 12/19/02 12:45 PM Re: Digital outs - any signal passed from analog source?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I'm pretty sure that the tape outs on the 950 (casette & VCR) are not actual tape loops.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#43406 - 12/19/02 02:30 PM Re: Digital outs - any signal passed from analog source?
Philip Hamm Offline
Gunslinger

If by "actual" tape loops you mean that they do not have monitor capability then you are correct. However, since I don't have a three headed cassette deck monitor capability is not necessary. All I need is a record loop, and the Outlaw provides one.

------------------
Philip Hamm

[This message has been edited by Philip Hamm (edited December 19, 2002).]

#43407 - 12/19/02 02:40 PM Re: Digital outs - any signal passed from analog source?
gonk Offline
Desperado

I'd worry that the Y-adapter splitting the signal would cause a loss in signal volume, although I could be wrong. The zone 2 output may be a "safer" and convenient alternative, as you could record one source and listen to/watch a different source at the same time (once you find the necessary volume setting for recording through zone 2).

------------------

#43408 - 12/20/02 05:47 PM Re: Digital outs - any signal passed from analog source?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I mean "actual" tape loops in terms of monitor capability, yes, and also in that the record outputs are not a separate zone. They are tied to the currently selected input. Pre/pros that provide a separate record zone also, obviously, provide loop functionality if they allow you to select the same tape device as the input on the main zone while recording.

Zone1/Zone2/Record zone is definitely handy.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts