Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#35855 - 10/06/02 07:47 AM 950 Burn in time. take your time......
R.Bauer Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Hi,

I have my 950 for three weeks now, and when I first powered it on it sounded harsh and flat with no depth on CD 2 channel sound. DD/DTS sound was a bit better though.
After letting the 950 burn in wit a DVD on repeat it sounded better after each day 'burning in'. After 5 days there was hardly an improvement anymore. All of the harshness was gone, and there was depth on 2 channel CD music.
Now I have a very accurate Pre/Pro with very good 2 channel music reproduction.

My Advice:
Give the 950 enough 'power on hours'(with music/DVDsound ofcourse) and start judging afterwards. It will be much different than your 950 impressions right out the box.

Enjoy your 950.

Regards,

Reinier Bauer
http://beamer.xs4all.nl

[This message has been edited by R.Bauer (edited October 06, 2002).]

#35856 - 10/06/02 08:17 AM Re: 950 Burn in time. take your time......
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
I have heard that often what happens is that over time, your ears adjust to the sound, and so over time, you may like the sound better than you did initially.

In other words, your ears get burned in, over time. And so, over time, you enjoy your equipment more!

I don't know if ear burn in is a bigger factor than solid state pre/pro burn in. But it might be. In other words, maybe the pre/pro sound doesn't change as much as our ear taste changes. Anyway, that's what I heard so it's food for thought.

#35857 - 10/06/02 11:04 AM Re: 950 Burn in time. take your time......
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
How does one design electronics that sound better after a burn in period. I guess it is harder than I thought.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#35858 - 10/06/02 11:42 AM Re: 950 Burn in time. take your time......
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by MeanGene:
How does one design electronics that sound better after a burn in period. I guess it is harder than I thought.

The only thing that can really be reliably said about electronics mellowing over time, is that capacitors that are in the signal path 'form' after being on for an extended time. It _is_ well documented that it is better to leave electronic equipment on continuously for the most longevity and reliability. Pretty much all professional audio and/or video installations I've seen leave their equipment on continously. This was especially true with vacuum tubes. Probably wouldn't do much for your power bill though. There _might_ be some truth that some components could sound better after being on for a week or so - it's not something I would completely rule out. For the record, I do leave my 950 on continously, but more for the reason that I'm too lazy to turn it on and off all the time.

It _is_ also well documented that ears are very easily fooled, probably more so than our eyes. If this was not the case, things like Dolby Digital and MP3 wouldn't work at all.

And besides, don't MOTORCYCLES get better with age???

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited October 06, 2002).]

#35859 - 10/06/02 03:46 PM Re: 950 Burn in time. take your time......
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Well engines do require break in and how you break an engine in will define how it works or lasts in the future. A fast break in usually means a faster, less reliable engine. A slow over time, reduced RPM break in usually means a longer lasting engine, with tighter tolerances, but a little less willing to rev freely. A compromise is usually best. A break in period that sets the compression rings with undue friction and heat changing other critical components.

What I worry about more is not the initial break in of the 950, but having it and the other components in a closed AV rack were the heat can get higher than sitting out side of the AV rack. This, I know, is outside of the original design specifications. I feel I need to circulate more air in the AV component rack without drawing dust into the cabinet. Any suggestions?

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#35860 - 10/06/02 04:05 PM Re: 950 Burn in time. take your time......
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
I know that the car dealers used to advise breaking in a car for the first so-and-so many miles. But the last car I got, the dealer said that wasn't necessary.

I also know that some brands of speakers when new definitely change over the first few months, as a result of break in. But solid state pre/amps maybe don't change that much over the first few months. Although I have heard in the past that some solid state pre/amps sound better if they are kept on continuously. Same with solid state amps.

Although the instant-on feature of the 950 (just like my TV has) may mean it is on always, anyway, at least to some extent, as long as it's plugged in.

#35861 - 10/06/02 04:50 PM Re: 950 Burn in time. take your time......
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by MeanGene:
Well engines do require break in...

MeanGene: my, my, I was referring to _classic bikes_ getting better over time. I didn't mean to start a thread on automotive maintenance (-:

As far as the heat goes, I solve the problem of enclosed space with tube amps burning away by having an air-coditioning duct go to the closet that they're in. You also might be able to find a 'muffin fan' at an electronics retailer. If you go this route, you may have to put a series resistor in series with it to slow the fan down so it won't make as much noise. A computer fan might work also, but you'd have to rig up a power supply for it. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited October 06, 2002).]

#35862 - 10/06/02 04:59 PM Re: 950 Burn in time. take your time......
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I
Although the instant-on feature of the 950 (just like my TV has) may mean it is on always, anyway, at least to some extent, as long as it's plugged in.

The circuits that have to do with sound quality or lack of it are probably powered down when the 950 is in sleep mode. They would probably have just enough circuitry alive to respond to the green power button being pressed.

By the way, have you had a compression check on the cylinders in your car lately?? (-:

#35863 - 10/06/02 07:14 PM Re: 950 Burn in time. take your time......
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Maybe what we need in the 950 is a temp guage. A digital read out of the temp of certain critical components. We could then tell if we are running it to hard, haven't let it warm up enough, etc. My VCR had a dew indicator telling me if my kids spilled something into it.

What am I saying, I think I need to get back on that bike again. :-)

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#35864 - 10/07/02 04:29 AM Re: 950 Burn in time. take your time......
jlib Offline
Gunslinger

You could get one or two of the new breed of computer case fans that have a dBA way less than the native hiss level of the best 950. Get a wall plug type transformer (12v DC with enough amperage for the fan). You could even get a cheapo relay from Radio Shack and have the fan be controlled by the 950's remote output. Even if you can't put a hole in your enclosure you could mount the fan in the top rear of enclosure facing forward. That would create a kind of circular turbulence (in at the botttom out at the top) that is probably all you need.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts