Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#40635 - 09/22/02 08:19 PM Settings for SCD-CE775 SACD player
tofufot Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor
Hi all,
Longtime lurker, first time poster. Thanks to the unnamed masses who convinced me to get the 950. I just got my 950 this weekend and am delighted with its performance. I don't want to incite any hissy fits , but I actually like the way the 5.1 bass management is implemented in the 950. I realize now how much I was missing while playing SACDs via my Denon 3801 (and Parasound 1205) without the subwoofer.
I have a mongrel assortment of speakers with Fried (an unfortunate name) R/4 mains, Dynaudio Audience C122 center, and Bohlender-Graebener Radia X3 rears and Hsu VTF-3 sub.
I've set the 5 speakers to small with a crossover of 80 Hz on the 950.
Since I didn't want to have to manually turn off the bass management of the 950 when playing SACDs and DVD-As, I set the Sony CD775 SACD player's primitive bass management to 5 large speakers and no subwoofer. My concern was that if I had an LFE output from the SACD I might get the dreaded double bass, especially since the Sony's crossover is fixed at a high 120 Hz. I have to say that I didn't hear much difference when I did have an LFE output set on the SACD player, but didn't really take too much time to really test this out.
Does this set up make sense?
Thanks.

#40636 - 09/22/02 10:05 PM Re: Settings for SCD-CE775 SACD player
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Hi tofufot,
Quote:
Does this set up make sense?
Almost. But there's a better way to hook up your SCD-CE775 (BTW, same SACD player I use).

The way you have your SACD player's settings currently (subwoofer OFF), the player is forced to blend the .1 LFE channel with the front two channels of the 5.1 mix. Better to set the player to the 'Direct' mode, so that all 6 channels are sent to the 950 without any bass management or channel combining; let the 950 handle all that.

And don't worry about the double-bass problem. Since you're using the 80Hz crossover, it won't affect you.

Good Luck,
Sanjay

#40637 - 09/22/02 10:26 PM Re: Settings for SCD-CE775 SACD player
tofufot Offline
Gunslinger

Great and thanks for the quick reply Sanjay.
Jim

#40638 - 09/22/02 11:14 PM Re: Settings for SCD-CE775 SACD player
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
hi tofufot,

i was wondering if you could try the scenario sanjay recommended then switch the analog bass management to off (toggle switch on back of the 950 in the down position) and dial the crossover on your vtf-3 to around 45hz and a/b the two scenarios.

i personally think 80hz is too high for a sub setting and if you set the sub lower than that you'll be losing original content below 80 and above the sub setting.

if there is any double bass, it would be there anyway and was therefore intended. this way, the "double bass" as it seems to be referred to, would all be in your sub instead of between the mains and sub.

if you could try the two scenarios and post your findings here, i would greatly appreciate it.

also, any info on your fried r/4's would be equally interesting to me. have they been modded at all or are they original, how old, etc.

what sacd's are you listening to? how do you like the 950 and sacd?

#40639 - 09/23/02 12:33 AM Re: Settings for SCD-CE775 SACD player
tofufot Offline
Gunslinger

Hi boss,
I'll try your suggestions later in the week, but I did a quick listen after setting the SACD player to direct mode to bypass its internal BM, and it did seem to lower the bass output. I'll need to do a more carefull listening session to be sure.

As for lowering the sub to 45 Hz, I was under the impression that setting the crossover to anything other than 80 Hz would negate the analog bass management for SACD, no? Right now I have the sub crossover set to max (90 Hz) and let the 950 handle the crossover duties.

I got the Frieds from a friend who was moving. I had never heard of the brand before, but turns ouot I was living only a few blocks from their main office in Philadelphia. They still sound wonderful even though they're about 20 years old, no mods. They're a transmission line design and rated at 30 - 20kHz +/- 2 dB and 90 dB sensitivity. Excellent midrange.

The SACDs I have include most of the Alisson Krauss titles which are all really excellent. I'm looking forward to her live recordings, which are supposed to be coming out in SACD and DVD-video later this year. BTW, you can get these cheaper directly from Rounder than I've seen at other online vendors. I'll be getting the Bela Fleck and Jerry Douglas SACDs from Water Lily. I have the redbook of Bela's Tabula Rasa, which is already excellent for CD, can't wait to hear the SACD of that. I've got five of the Stones' newly released and poorly marketed SACD/CDs. Quite impressive, though they really accentuate the inferiority of the recording equipment on the older discs. I've got a few DVD-As that I've gotten to reexperience through my RP-91, and especially like the Bela Fleck Tales from the Acoustic Planet II, although some purists might not like the use of the surrounds for some of the instrumentalists, but you can also listen in stereo. Both are much more musical and precise than the original CD.

I'm by no means a golden eared audiophile, but the 950 through the DACs sounds almost as good as the Denon used as a preamp via the analog bypass. Through the 950's analog bypass music is really more lifelike, especially with the SACDs and DVD-As and some recent well-engineered CDs such as Norah Jones and Nickel Creek.

BTW, in case anyone's keeping score, I have to be about 5 or 6 inches from the speakers to hear a soft hiss at +10 dB in analog mode

#40640 - 09/23/02 02:19 AM Re: Settings for SCD-CE775 SACD player
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I would think that the crossover used more heavily depends on the low freq extension of your mains.

The rule of thumb I have always subscribed to, is to set the crossover 1 full octave higher than the low freq extension of your mains.

So if your mains go down to 30 Hz (20 Hz is really rare, actually), 1 full octave up is 60 Hz.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#40641 - 09/24/02 02:33 AM Re: Settings for SCD-CE775 SACD player
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tofufot:
[B]Hi boss,
As for lowering the sub to 45 Hz, I was under the impression that setting the crossover to anything other than 80 Hz would negate the analog bass management for SACD, no? Right now I have the sub crossover set to max (90 Hz) and let the 950 handle the crossover duties.

i was suggesting that you disable the bass management (switch in down position). this will allow your speakers to play full range (no x-over) and 45hz, or you might try KCB's suggestion of 60hz setting on your sub's x-over to pick up where your mains leave off.

I'll be getting the Bela Fleck and Jerry Douglas SACDs from Water Lily. I have the redbook of Bela's Tabula Rasa, which is already excellent for CD, can't wait to hear the SACD of that.

i didn't know bela was available on sacd. who is water lily? i want those discs. do you know if they are available in multi-channel sacd? i'm no purist. multi-channel is the best use of the format to me.

and thanx for the info!

#40642 - 09/24/02 02:53 AM Re: Settings for SCD-CE775 SACD player
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
who is water lily?
http://www.waterlilyacoustics.com/main.htm

[This message has been edited by sdurani (edited September 24, 2002).]

#40643 - 09/24/02 01:26 PM Re: Settings for SCD-CE775 SACD player
tofufot Offline
Gunslinger

Still working on everyone's helpful suggestions, but I got this reply directly from our favorite Outlaw, which confirmed my hunch:
Hello Jim,

Thanks for contacting the Outlaws!

You should just set the bass management to "off" or "large" in the SACD
player. You may leave the LFE turned on. Then turn the bass management on
the multi-channel inputs of the Model 950 "on". This will apply proper
bass management and prevent any possibility of double bass.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Scott

I assumed, but haven't verified that if I had the 950's bass management turned off that I would lose the LFE output.

As for Water Lily, it's a very eclectic label based in California and specializes in audiophile recordings (click on the tech specs link on the web page Sanjay mentioned) of Eastern and East-West hybrid music. It's definitely not Flecktones stuff, but it's in the same spirit and I find it quite accessible nevertheless. I won't know till I get the recordings but I think they're stereo SACDs.

Jim

#40644 - 09/24/02 02:02 PM Re: Settings for SCD-CE775 SACD player
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
I assumed, but haven't verified that if I had the 950's bass management turned off that I would lose the LFE output.

If the analog bass management is off, the LFE signal is still passed from your SACD player through the 950 to your amp. Nothing is lost at all.

What the bass management does is move information below 80Hz from the other channels and redirect it to the sub. The design of the six-channel analog input on the 950 has been the subject of a great deal of debate because the 950 *always* redirects information below 80Hz from the five full-range speakers to the sub/LFE channel (adding that information to the information already on the LFE channel), but it leaves that information in the full-range channels if the bass management switch is off. Hence the concerns many people have about "double bass." If the switch is on, the information that is redirected to the sub is removed from the main channels. That's why Scott referred to this arrangement preventing any possibility of double bass.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited September 24, 2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 185 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts