Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#40497 - 09/30/02 08:40 AM Remote: TV selects video 2
Oaf Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver,British Columbia, Ca...
I want to use my TV as a pure monitor but in order to access TV functionality on the remote I have to press TV which selects VIDEO 2 and a selectable audio which means I can not adjust the TV while watching DVD or SAT...anyone know a good way to avoid this?

#40498 - 09/30/02 12:04 PM Re: Remote: TV selects video 2
patman Offline
Gunslinger

The remote for use as a multi-function remote makes me want to throw the remote into the wall.

It seems to me, unless you happen to have the exact device connected to the input described on the remote, like a SAT device, you can't program it for anything but a SAT device, there's no way to have any other device hooked to that input and still be programmable (like a 2nd VCR). I'm so perplexed by the inability to re-assign Device type for the device selection buttons on the top of the 950 remote.

#40499 - 09/30/02 12:30 PM Re: Remote: TV selects video 2
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Did you try the method that I suggested in my post last week ? I'd be curious to know if it works or not. I know there's no LCD, but I've used several things from the SL-9000 manual and with some cues from the flashing of the LED been able to follow what was happening.

Heck, worst case if you have the remote is to learn the commands you need. I've done that for a few commands on all of my devices except the VCR (remote is dead, and I've never gotten around to borrowing dad's remote for a nearly identical VCR).

Maybe I'll try programming the "TAPE" device to control my VCR tonight, see if I can get it to work...

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#40500 - 09/30/02 12:32 PM Re: Remote: TV selects video 2
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Oaf

What sort of TV functions are you trying to access? If it's only one or two things (like TV input or something), you might be able to put together a macro or learn the TV command onto a few other devices.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#40501 - 09/30/02 12:53 PM Re: Remote: TV selects video 2
Oaf Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver,British Columbia, Ca...
That can work for the little things but if I want to access the tv's overlay menu while watch SAT...it does not work out nice (I hold the remote to my leg when selecting TV and then proceed) I just do not want the audio/video switch to occur for TV

#40502 - 10/01/02 09:01 AM Re: Remote: TV selects video 2
patman Offline
Gunslinger

Willscary was nice enough to list the steps to copy button functions from other remotes to the 950 remote. Both the 950 remote write-up and the SL9000 remote manual did not list a crucial step, and thus I failed miserably trying to copy buttons from an original remote to the 950 remote before reading Willscary's post (so I will have to give it try once more tonight). Thanks for the write-up.

But I did figure out how to "map" a device to another device button (this is in the SL9000 manual that I printed out yesterday).

If you want VCR capability on the SAT device, you have to hold the SAT button and the Mute button simultaneously, and then hit the VCR button, and then enter the VCR code(s) for the VCR you want to control. Once the code works, then hit the SAT button to save the code. This works for any device that has a device button (CBL, VCR, DVD, TV, SAT, AUX, TAPE), but I ran into problems when I tried to figure out how to map the LD device to one of the buttons, the TV/V2 button. I have no idea how to map that device mode to any of the device buttons.

I still need to save a few buttons from my original VCR remote to the 950 remote (like MENU, etc). Hoping Willscary's write-up will help in that department.

I guess if I have to manual copy over the pertinent LD buttons, I will give it a shot.

I did get the volume punch-through for all of the devices, so that's a convenient feature.

#40503 - 10/01/02 11:57 AM Re: Remote: TV selects video 2
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I agree that the remote for the 950 is pretty much a lost cause. I'd even go as far as to say that the 1050's remote was more usable, even though it was not learning and had far less features.

The whole "cup your hand over the end of the remote" thing is just ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that many device functions are silkscreened on the non-illumnated remote panel instead of on the buttons.

Wish list item for next pre/pro: a MUCH better remote.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#40504 - 10/01/02 09:00 PM Re: Remote: TV selects video 2
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
I have never had an all in one remote because my old NAD receiver was not remote controllable. With all the gripes about the remote, maybe the Outlaws should offer to sell their products without the remote and pass along the savings in wholesale cost of the remote to their customers. Then the 950 would cost only about $860 plus shipping and people who so wished would be free to buy their $300 to $500 Prontos. I see a few things on the remote that could be improved, but for the price of the 950, the unit's musicality, features, bass management, clarity, and remote are outstanding in my opinion.

#40505 - 10/02/02 12:49 AM Re: Remote: TV selects video 2
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Well... if I remember correctly... the 950's remote is the same as several other pre/pros remote... without the +$2K price? Check out the B&K Ref 30, and then the funtionality of the HTC sl-9000 with and without LCD, if you doubt me...
merc\'s primary system

#40506 - 10/02/02 11:59 AM Re: Remote: TV selects video 2
patman Offline
Gunslinger

I am finally getting the 950 remote to act like a multi-function remote.

I've been able to re-program many of the programs to get a lot more usability from it, so I'm getting happier with the remote.

My next few tasks to to standardize (for me) where the 2 sets of VCRs functions have been programmed in the 2 rows of buttons above the Macro buttons. Currently I didn't put much thought in where I put what function for either VCR (I have 2 VCRs), so use the same buttons for the same functions for both VCRs will alleviate confusion.

Then I will manually teach the 950 remote to act like my LD remote, and that should be the end of my remote programming journey.

Thanks for the tips along the way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
1 registered (butchgo), 118 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts