Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#39301 - 08/05/02 08:55 AM News today?
MikeLM Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
I was so sure that in the July News Outlaw said that they would publish a News bulletin either when the 950 resume shipping or on August 5th, which ever come first.

Now, I can't find that text... Has it been edited since? Did I missed it? Is my mind playing tricks on me or did other read that too?

#39302 - 08/05/02 08:59 AM Re: News today?
werner52 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND USA
Hello Outlaws:
We appreciate that you've been patient to date, and as the title of this thread indicates, it IS a virtue.

What you are pointing out is yet one more example of the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" nature of this situation. The problem is that we're in a fluid situation and even though we are 99.9% of the schedule for re-starting production and shipments, if we end up falling into that last 0.1% we'll be zinged for "missing another deadline". In terms of another Newsletter or "Update" we can say that the next public announcement is scheduled for the day we resume shipments or the week of August 5th, whichever comes first. Suffice it to say we hope the date is the former, not the latter.

However, since you asked...

We have done an incredible amount of testing and engineering work over the past few weeks and we feel that we finally have nailed down all the various contributors to the "hiss problem". In fact, I've heard the final, updated 950 myself and it is great. We know that this unit will provide the performance that most 950 owners are already enjoying, and which a few are still waiting for.

As to the question of "if it's only a small sample, why don't they just start shipping and replace the defective units", the answer is one that has to be viewed in the context of our business model. In the "bricks & mortar" world, traditional brands can suffer a larger percentage of defective units before something reaches serious proportion. By comparison, in our case even a small handful of units generating complaints has the tendency to get blown completely out of proportion in relation to the actual number of units shipped.

This is already the case with the 950. Again, most owners are happy, and only a very small percentage of the units are causing problems. However, we cannot allow even that small number of customers to be unhappy. The bad news: It means that our only course of action has been our current path of freezing deliveries. We know that this disappoints customers, it also impacts our revenues. The good news: it means that EVERYONE will benefit from improved performance, even if they can't hear the difference.

The bottom line: At this stage in the Outlaw's business cycle, we have taken the more conservative approach rather than continuing to charge ahead. To do so might have brought short term gain, but at a considerable risk. We remain financially healthy and we're here for the long term. Our ability to stop production while continuing to deliver existing new products and develop a number of new ones is clear evidence of that.

Therefore we ask that you bear with us while we implement these modifications at the factory level. Public "heat", not withstanding we sincerely believe we are doing the right thing.

Best Regards,

Scott

It appears the newsletter / resume shipments will be the latter

[This message has been edited by werner52 (edited August 05, 2002).]

#39303 - 08/05/02 09:05 AM Re: News today?
MikeLM Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
Oh! Ok. *WEEK* of August 5th.

That's fine.

Thanks,
Mike

#39304 - 08/05/02 05:27 PM Re: News today?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Makes you wonder why they didn't just promise the newsletter by "Midnight, August 9th," since that's usually what they mean by "week of" or "month of."

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#39305 - 08/12/02 03:29 AM Re: News today?
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
It's here. Arrived just after midnight Monday morning, PST. Just like Outlaw clockwork.

----------------------------------------
The Outlaws hope that everyone in our community has been having an enjoyable summer. Vacations and casual Fridays not withstanding, the Outlaws have been working hard on a number of fronts, and rather than bore you with a lengthy newsletter this month we will keep to our shorter "Update" format for now. Where there is news you'll have it here, and for the time being we'll try to keep other comments to a minimum.

That being said, "Let's go to press."

MODEL 950 NEWS

We have completed the investigation into the issues surrounding the Model 950, found solutions to the problems, and are preparing to resume production. However, we are still at the very tail end of one more round of testing that will insure that the various items raised after the initial production run are completely solved to our satisfaction with as wide a variety of systems as we can. That shouldn't take too long at this point.

Once we give the "go" signal, we will immediately create a reservoir of replacement units to be used as swap-outs for existing customers who have reported a problem. You have our firm commitment that all current owners will have their units taken care of before we send a unit to someone who has not yet had one. As noted in previous communications, those affected will hear from us via e-mail with instructions as to the procedure for the swap. Of course, we also remain committed to paying the freight both ways on this so that you will only have to follow the instructions for shipping that will be sent with the e-mail.

Once we take care of existing owners, we expect to have a significant production order sent over via air freight, so that we may satisfy those who have been waiting on the reservations list. Again, you will be notified by e-mail with instructions on how to convert the reservation into an order.

One bit of good news that we can report is that among those existing 950 owners who have now had their units for quite a few months, there is no increase in people reporting the hiss problem. It's either there or not, so if you have not encountered the problem to this point you are not likely to.

Again, our apologies to those who have hung in there with us through this lengthy process. We appreciate your confidence in Outlaw and know that once you have a 950 in your hands, as we hope that you will shortly, you will find that the wait will have been well worth it.

CURRENT PRODUCT NEWS

While the Model 950 has occupied a great deal of our time over the past few months, Outlaw remains very much in business, and all other items in our existing product line, the Model 770 and 755 amplifiers, the Model 1050 receiver, the ICBM, and cables are all in stock for immediate shipment. Indeed, if you are waiting for a Model 950 and have also ordered an amplifier, please let us know if you wish to receive the amp in advance. We'll be pleased to make the arrangements.

Regardless of your home theater requirements, whether it be for a high-power, audiophile-grade multi-channel power amplifier, an entry level surround receiver, or what has become the industry standard for external bass management, Outlaw Audio's range of current products has the answer for you. We invite you to check our web site for specs, reviews and pricing. Our complete line of PCA, PDO and PSC cables are also in stock for immediate delivery.

As a final note to anyone who doubts that the Model 950 and its companion Model 770 amplifier exist, we invite you to check out the current issue of Sound & Vision, where a major installation feature includes both products along with a rave review from the owners.

New Product News

At the same time as some of the Outlaw engineering teams have been working on the Model 950, others are continuing to work on our other new products.

Those of you who have seen the current issue of Stereophile Guide to Home Theater now know that our new amplifier is named the Model 7100. In fact, you can enter a contest to win BOTH a Model 950 and a Model 7100 by filling out their reader survey. We'll have more details on the 7100 including complete specs and pricing on our "un-receiver" packages as we get closer to the ship date.

As to other new products, we have, as promised, more up our sleeve for delivery before the end of the year. However, at this time it isn't appropriate to go into the details. We can only say they will set new watermarks in their respective categories for price, performance and features, and that one will totally re-invent and revitalize an entire product category. Sorry, that's all you get now; we have the Model 950 and Model 7100 to attend to first.

To answer some of the questions we've seen in our Saloon, we will comment on some of the products we've talked about in the past and the speculation some of you have offered. As to video projection and a DVD player, we've temporarily put our work on those categories aside. Projection is someplace where we feel that the Outlaw business model simply will not work at the moment due to the high materials cost. A number of the Outlaws are very involved in all aspects of the video display industry, and they'll let us know when the time is right.

The same sort of thing applies to DVD players, although there are other mitigating circumstances in that category. DVD has not only undergone significant price compression, but there are still a number of open technology questions with regard to the use of digital interconnects as well as the ability to build a reliable DVD-Audio/SACD player that delivers audiophile quality at an Outlaw price. We continue to monitor the entire optical player market closely, but we have to say that you won't see an Outlaw player any time soon.

As to the discussions about an Outlaw branded product in the "convergence" category, the research done with the IR 1000 shows that we are actively involved in alternative music source/storage/management systems. However, for the moment we'll watch, but do not anticipate any product in that area.

In short, we are bringing the Model 950 back to market, we are working on the production start of the Model 7100, and we are developing some other new products where you might say we are "sticking to our knitting". Stay tuned for further developments.

A FEW WORDS FROM THE EDITORIAL OUTLAW

The Editorial Outlaw is back from vacation, and like all the rest of the Outlaws he is deeply involved in the Model 950 re-launch. This means that you are spared his comments about the audio industry and where Outlaw fits into the grand scheme of things. Perhaps he'll have the time and we'll have the space for discussion next month.

However, in the mean time, he does want us to pass along this month's book suggestion in the event that you are looking for something interesting to read on the beach, in the country, or while you are stuck on a plane or in an airport. This month's suggestion is a biography that combines all the elements of an interesting life story, incredible technology and some of the elements of a spy novel.

A quick quiz: Who invented stereo? Another quick question: Who invented television? A third question: Where was much of the seminal work done on the development of radar during World War II, and how did that impact the war effort?

The answers may surprise you. Much of the development of two-channel stereo recording was done not at Bell Labs, as you might answer, but by research teams in the UK at EMI and predecessor companies. In particular, key patents for microphones and cutting heads were written by Alan Dower Blumlein, the subject of the book "The Inventor of Stereo: The Life and Works of Alan Dower Blumlein" (ISBN# 0-240-51628-1), published by Focal Press.

Blumlein's work, which was tragically cut short when he died in a plane crash in 1942 on a secret mission to perfect magnetron based radar, led to the many of the technologies that we still use today in the home theater world, as well as in the production of movies and sound recordings. Yes, the book does tend to get a bit technical in spots, but you can easily skip over the drier descriptions of tubes and circuits without losing the story's string. Indeed, the book provides an interesting view into the development of technologies we take for granted. And, for those who are involved in the on-going debate over the proper designation of either Farnsworth or Zworykin as the "Father of TV" will be surprised to see that other, less celebrated engineers and engineering teams in the UK and elsewhere contributed significant work to the development of TV. At the end of the day, Blumlein was more than just the "Inventor of Stereo", he was a fascinating man who has never gotten anywhere near the credit or publicity he deserves.

(And more on recent books about Farnsworth and Zworykin in future Updates.)

That's it for now. We are confident that those who are waiting for further news on the Model 950 will hear from us yet again this month, and we'll be back in a few weeks with another Update for everyone. As always, don't forget to give the home theater a rest once in a while, and enjoy the rest of the summer.

Thanks and regards

The Outlaws

[This message has been edited by Will (edited August 12, 2002).]

#39306 - 08/12/02 04:31 AM Re: News today?
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
They made good their commitment to make a public announcement, but do we know anything more today than we knew yesterday about when the 950 will start shipping again?

#39307 - 08/12/02 08:41 AM Re: News today?
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
Another fine example of a newsletter that really contains no "new" news. Given the contents I do not see why they had to wait this long to release it, other than to further frustrate potential customers.

#39308 - 08/12/02 08:51 AM Re: News today?
MixFixJ Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vista, CA USA
Thanks for the 'update'. I'll hold my breath waiting for my notification e-mail.
Mix

#39309 - 09/04/02 01:08 PM Re: News today?
CORVETTE Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: hollister. ca
Quote:

Thanks for the 'update'. I'll hold my breath waiting for my notification e-mail.
Mix

i hope your not still, holding your breath

#39310 - 09/06/02 06:25 PM Re: News today?
Jmac Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: okalhoma city oklahoma
just got my e-mail today for the 950. I got on the list Jan. 16 2002. I purchased a 1066 2 weeks ago. However I am not that happy with 2 channel stereo. Has anyone compared the 950 to the 1066 in 2 channel stereo. I may still order the 950. If so I will have a black 2 week old 1066 for sale. Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts