Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#37965 - 05/09/02 08:52 PM Outlaw 950 Zone 2 Unusable for Multi-Room /Outlaw Cust Serv Not all Cracked Up to Be
Cliffk Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, MS
Sorry to be negative about what I'm sure will be a great product for many on this forum. However, for those who want to use this unit to operate a second room and actually control the source/volume from the second room, then this is not the pre/pro for you. I've posted on this subject here and at the HT Forum.

First, the substantive issues of Zone 2:

I sent Outlaw an e-mail via their web submission form with the following questions:

Quote:
I have a Yamaha RX-V2095 which is my control center for HT and whole house distributed a/v. The volume control motor has been acting up (sticks intermittently) requiring a $150 fix. Since I pre-wired for 2 surround back channels and have 2 direct radiating speakers currently serving front effect duties (Atlantic Tech 251.1LR's will mate great with my System 350THX), I figured why spend another $150 on old 5.1 when, for another $750 I could make the move to 7.1. So, a couple of nights ago I got on the waiting list for the 950.

Anyway, on to the questions. I was reading the Outlaw manual and am concerned about its Zone 2/record operation and features.

One, it looks like the record out is limited to the active input selected. That is, you can't select Video 2 to watch and send Video 3 out to be recorded. Am I reading this right? If so, my 2095 is superior in this respect because it does have selectable record out independent of the source being viewed/listened to at the time.

Two, why no video output for Zone 2? Again, my 2095 has this. Am I missing something?

Three, are there discrete IR codes to access Zone 2 source selection and volume control? The operation described in the manual is push Zone 2 button on remote, scroll down to source or volume, then toggle source or change volume. That's fine if you're looking at the 950 or its OSD. Not fine at all if you're downstairs just listening to music and pointing the remote at IR repeaters. Now, with the 2095, I have direct one button access to any source and volume up and down. I have a page in my Pronto remote that has the applicable buttons. If Outlaw has discrete IR codes to access source/volume, I can program them into the Pronto. If not, not sure what I'm going to do.

Any help you all can provide will be most appreciated. Discovering these limitations has been somewhat of a disappointment. After seeing all the great reviews and excitement about the 950, I too was really excited about upgrading to 7.1 and entering the world of separates. But separates for separates sake is not enough when a 3 year old receiver appears to have more options and flexibility in record options and multi-zone/custom install functionality.

I hope that there are workarounds, otherwise I'll have to think long and hard about "upgrading" to the 950. At least I'll have a long time to think about it given the lengthy waiting list.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide.

-Cliff

Outlaw dutifully responded within 4-5 days as follows:

Quote:
Hello Cliff,

Thanks for contacting the Outlaws!

1. There are no discrete codes for the remote room, but rather there IS a separate IR input. You use the same codes programmed into a remote, but simply connect a remote sensor in the second zone to the proper input on the Model 950's rear panel. This way you can use the same remote (and codes) in both locations.

2. Yes, you are correct in that there is no video feed to the remote room. Adding that feature would require additional circuitry and that simply wasn't possible if we were to meet the $899 target cost of the Model 950. While we recognize that some users do want the video feed, it is our feeling that most second zone usage is for audio, rather than video.

3. We're sorry, but you are correct to note that the record output is tied to the main input source. Again, this is a feature that we did not add in order to concentrate on those aspects of the design that contribute to the Model 950's sonic performance. In most cases we recommend that the second zone system be used as a record output buss where separate source recording is required, but in your case the second zone is being put to its intended purpose.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Scott

I appreciated the response, but particularly with regard to discrete IR codes and navigating punch down menus, the reply was non-responsive and not informative. So I replied back on April 29th as follows:

Quote:
Scott,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I know you guys have your hands full right now.

Just to clarify a couple of issues:

You stated:
> 1. There are no discrete codes for the remote room, but rather there IS a separate IR input. You use the same codes programmed into a remote, but simply connect a remote sensor in the second zone to the proper input on the Model 950's rear panel. This way you can use the same remote (and
codes) in both locations.

Allright, but when in the second zone room with the same codes, how do you navigate a punch down menu without the benefit of seeing the 950's front panel display or on-screen display. In other words, if I'm in the second zone listening to my DVD player and want to switch to Video 2, how do I accomplish this? I have to hit the "multi" button once to bring up the Zone 2 menu. I have to hit it again to bring up source selection. I then have to scroll through the various sources (see page 36 of the 950 manual). It is impossible to do all of this unless I'm looking at the front panel or OSD. By definition, Zone 2 is a remote zone away from the 950 and its accompanying monitor. If I'm not looking at the FPD or OSD, how will I (or anyone else) know which source I've scrolled over to? That is the crux of the problem. With no one-button (discrete code) access to source selection or volume control for Zone 2, the only way to change sources or volume is to physically walk to where the 950 is and look at its FPD (or OSD) and see which source you're about to select or (punch down to where the volume control is).

Although my day job is as an Attorney/CPA for Mississippi's largest private school, I do custom install projects as a side business. I designed, procured, and installed a Training & Presentation Theater with a budget of . . . for our school (unofficial website link: www.digitaldreamtheaters.com/JA_theater_pictures.htm
My point being that I am a hardcore multi-zone, custom installation user/vendor. I tell you all this in hopes that you'll take my questions/critiques seriously.

I think the shortcomings of this unit with respect to only having punch down menu control of Zone 2 functions are huge and essentially eliminate the functionality of this unit for custom install/multi-zone situations. Why have an IR input for Zone 2 use if you effectively can't even use the remote in Zone 2? With all the other primary uses (audio dropouts, bass management, video conversion, etc.) of this unit being on the front burner, I just think this is one that everybody has missed. Any of the beta testers
power multi-zone users? I understand that with this unit, keeping the price down has been of major concern, but by definition pre/pro's are supposed to be flexible and feature laden for what they do. If Yamaha could include
these features in their Yamaha RX-V2095 plus pretty darn good processing and 7 channels of amplification (2 front effects channels) for just a couple hundred more than the 950 (which of course has no amplification), then the
feature set of having discrete Zone 2 codes/control can't be that costly.

If there are workarounds, please let me know. This will certainly effect my decision as to whether to purchase the 950 (and/or utilize it in any of my custom install jobs). I'm hoping you'll tell me there's another way to control Zone 2 besides the punch down menus. Maybe the engineers set it up to respond to discrete codes which I know your remote does not have on it, but could be utilized in devices such as my Phillips Pronto. It may be this
feature is there but just hasn't been made known to you (wishing a little here :-) ).

Again, thanks for your time, and I look forward to your response. Please do checkout our Training & Presentation Theater - its pretty neat.

Take care,
Cliff

Well, 9 days later, I've gotten no response from Scott or anyone else at Outlaw. I believe I raised some pretty legitimate questions. Even if they are researching the issue, a quick reply stating that fact would be nice. I know others have accused Outlaw of playing favorites with their customers (coddling some, ignoring others). I have to say that certainly seems to be the case in this instance.

Meanwhile, with the passage of time, I've decided to go another direction. I'm putting my 2095 in on a custom install job I'm doing that will only be 5.1 (due to wife approval factor). So, I'll be selling it, and just moving to a new 7.1 receiver. Which, by the way, everyone I've looked at so far (in the $1,100 to $2,000 range) has video zone 2 out, selectable record out, and dedicated codes (and in most cases separate remotes) for zone 2 proving that these features are not expensive to implement.

As Outlaw is a relatively new company, hopefully they'll learn just a little bit from this: one, design a better zone 2 system; and two, ignoring your potential customers causes them to seek other alternatives and not buy your product.

Sorry this is so long, but confession (and venting) is good for the soul.

-Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliffk (edited May 09, 2002).]

#37966 - 05/09/02 09:07 PM Re: Outlaw 950 Zone 2 Unusable for Multi-Room /Outlaw Cust Serv Not all Cracked Up to Be
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello Cliff,

Unfortunately, I never received your last email. I apologize if I somehow allowed it to slip through the cracks (if this proves to be the case). However, please allow me to reread the last section of your post and answer accordingly.

#37967 - 05/09/02 09:17 PM Re: Outlaw 950 Zone 2 Unusable for Multi-Room /Outlaw Cust Serv Not all Cracked Up to Be
Cliffk Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Scott,

Thanks for the quick reply here. I understand that no communication method is foolproof. I look forward to your response, but am not optimistic about there being a solution (given your previous response and the 950 manual).

Take care,
Cliff

#37968 - 05/09/02 09:28 PM Re: Outlaw 950 Zone 2 Unusable for Multi-Room /Outlaw Cust Serv Not all Cracked Up to Be
Scott Offline
Desperado

I will post a complete response tomorrow once I've had time to investigate this feature more extensively. Just a quick note, please understand that I take all inquiries VERY seriously. Sometimes it gets pretty busy (especially lately)and a question might get missed. If this is what occured in your case I apologize.

Also, the web site and system look great, nice work!

#37969 - 05/10/02 02:01 AM Re: Outlaw 950 Zone 2 Unusable for Multi-Room /Outlaw Cust Serv Not all Cracked Up to Be
Robert A. Fowkes Offline
Gunslinger

CliffK,
While I don't use the 2nd Zone functions of my 950 at all I can see where the limitations of this unit in that regard would probably emilinate it from consideration for a multi-room installation, especially when you factor video into the mix.

However, I do find the limitation of video recording tied to the main source a bit of an inconvenience that I just became aware of last night. I had this feature on my Denon 5700 and just assumed it would work that way as well on the 950. Ever since I added a PVR (Dish 501) to my arsenal I hardly ever use tape any more but there are some occasions where I dump some recordings from the PVR to tape to archive a program or two.

I tried to do this last night for the first time and I found out that it would only work when the recording source material was limited to the active input. On my 5700 you could select any video source for recording while any other source was playing. In my case there is a simple work around (a direct connection from the PVR to the VCR) but I can see where this would become a major issue if your needs were more complex.

Is the 950 a great sounding an performing unit? Yes. Will it provide every single function of some of the mega receivers out there? No. You have to see if it meets your needs and act accordingly. Nothing wrong with that.

And I hope that Outlaw is taking notes. The features you mention should definitely be incorporated into the next Outlaw Pre-pro.

[This message has been edited by Robert A Fowkes (edited May 10, 2002).]

My HT - Updated 05/29/07

#37970 - 05/10/02 01:14 PM Re: Outlaw 950 Zone 2 Unusable for Multi-Room /Outlaw Cust Serv Not all Cracked Up to Be
Llamas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle, WA
While I am not concerned about the video switching features, the usability of the zone B remote is important to me. What's the point of having the zone B feature if you have to navigate menus blind to control it?

What I hoping to hear is that the codes for setting volume, selecting sources, etc. that are received through the zone B IR jack are remapped, in software, to the zone B equivalents. That would mean no menus when working through the IR jack, but the ability to use the same remote, or learn directly from the same remote, instead of discrete codes.

If this isn't the case, what are the chances for a fix?

I was going to add this to the beta thread, but the subject matter there seems to be a bit different: Did any of the beta testers hook up and use zone B?

--Mike

[This message has been edited by Llamas (edited May 10, 2002).]

#37971 - 05/10/02 01:45 PM Re: Outlaw 950 Zone 2 Unusable for Multi-Room /Outlaw Cust Serv Not all Cracked Up to Be
Cliffk Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Llamas,

You may be correct about the zone 2 implementation of source/volume control received through the IR repeater jack.

I was looking at the Pioneer VSX-47TX manual last night and that's what it appears to do.

However, the problem with this for me and for other custom install uses is that all of my equipment is controlled by whole house IR. That is, in the HT, my equipment is in a closet behind the room, and even in the main listening room, I use IR repeating with infared blinker emitters. Obviously, I use the same emitters for the signals received downstairs (Zone 2). My Zone 2 is actually 4 pairs of speakers throught the lower level of my home (with independent volume control, but only one source for all four pairs of speakers). I have a total of 5 IR windows for receiving IR throughout the house.
So, I couldn't use the rear IR jack for Zone 2 control because my IR system for the HT and Zone 2 are integrated. With discrete codes, this isn't a problem.

If there are internal codes for which the Hex code info. can be determined, then I could put that into my Pronto. Otherwise, I'm out of luck.

-Cliff

#37972 - 05/10/02 05:31 PM Re: Outlaw 950 Zone 2 Unusable for Multi-Room /Outlaw Cust Serv Not all Cracked Up to Be
JeffLH Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I used and tested Zone 2 during the orginal beta. It works well for what I need.

In my system, Zone 2 is six pairs of speakers in the dining room, kitchen, library, garage, basement, and deck. With a multiroom setup like this, each room MUST have its own volume control. If you turn on the system to listen in one room, you don't want it to play everywhere - especially not on the outdoor speakers. I set the 950's Zone 2 volume to the maximum that I want the weakest speakers in the system to play at, and then I use the local volume control to adjust it down from there.

If anything, I'm more interested in controlling my CD player remotely than changing sources on the 950. I have a LeapFrog IR-RF remote control extender that lets me work the CD player functions from anywhere in the house, but I really don't use it much. I generally set Zone 2 to play the radio or shuffle through a few CDs, and then just let it go for a few hours without adjusting anything.

My favorite thing about the 950's multizone capability is that it has a separate trigger.

#37973 - 05/12/02 12:57 AM Re: Outlaw 950 Zone 2 Unusable for Multi-Room /Outlaw Cust Serv Not all Cracked Up to Be
Llamas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle, WA
After reading the details of Cliff's and Jeff's respective configurations, neither of which match what I want to do, I can appreciate the thought that needs to go into designing the specifications for the remote zone feature.

I'm hoping that Scott will answer soon. If I cannot set things up so that my second zone (just one room) can be controlled easily via remote, my purchase plan will likely change. My HT is a 5.1 setup, so the other two channels of the 770 were to drive the zone 2 speakers in the room on the other side of the wall. And if I change my focus to upgrading just a 5.1 system, ugh... my whole set of choices, whether receiver or pre/pro, and amp, changes.

--Mike

[This message has been edited by Llamas (edited May 12, 2002).]

#37974 - 05/14/02 11:37 AM Re: Outlaw 950 Zone 2 Unusable for Multi-Room /Outlaw Cust Serv Not all Cracked Up to Be
Scott Offline
Desperado

We are still doing some testing. Sorry for the delay, more to follow.

Scott

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts