Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#37337 - 06/12/02 02:02 PM sound & vision review
RLAU Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NY, NY, USA
i just read the review of the outlaw 950 on sound & vision.
they mention that it looks like a $400 receiver. i agree.

hey you guys @ outlaw. you have a great sounding product, why not make it looks as good as it sounds.

take a look @ other high end manufacturer: ie: krell, conrad johnson, b&k, etc.

if outlaw could make the 950 looks like a high end gear, it has a winner.

i would not spend money on any audio gear that look like cheap toy (eventhough they sound very good).

#37338 - 06/12/02 03:47 PM Re: sound & vision review
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
If you can buy a Krell, CJ, etc. for $899, I think you should definitely jump on it.

#37339 - 06/12/02 04:07 PM Re: sound & vision review
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Quote:
i would not spend money on any audio gear that look like cheap toy (even though they sound very good).

I am not adverse to improvements in anything.

But let my husband explain, I can go to a NM sale rack and pull the one shirt out (on sale 198.00) with 100 (on sale 19.00) hanging all around it. And I do this every time; in other words my tastes run like heat seeking missles to expensive looks.

I really liked the face of my old PL receiver. Matte brushed alum. - Quiet, sophisticated, businesslike, very very substantial construction/ button action and was worried about the physical impression the 950/770 combo would have on me.

I would not scale it a 10 on looks alone but, No problem, right now its in a temporary black rack with black everything else around it, looks fine, feels fine, sounds GREAT, (even before optimizing the tweaking).

JMO but I am very sensitive to ugly.

#37340 - 06/12/02 05:24 PM Re: sound & vision review
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
I agree that the looks are butt ugly but I actually watch my tv when listening to HT. I think only if the price is the same should looks be considered, or if not everyone should just go buy Bose cause they are so damn cute and check out that sleek silver box it comes with.

In reality of course I would like to have something that looked like the Anthem or the Stage One. Unless you display your rack under a very well lit area and since mine is by my tv it tends to be darker, I think looks are just a bonus and should not be a real consideration to a videophile or audiophile.

#37341 - 06/12/02 10:14 PM Re: sound & vision review
TKJOE Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Two Words for all you people that care about the looks of things: Audio Research

Some of the ugliest equipment out there that I would give my left arm to have.

High end audio does not = Art.

I am sick of everyone complaining about the looks. My wife really cares about the look of things and she thinks it is fine.

I think It is absolutely fine. I think Jeff Rowland and Mark Levinson stuff is gorgeous but I don't think there is much in the "Art" range below 3500$.

Sorry for the rant.

#37342 - 06/12/02 10:58 PM Re: sound & vision review
Turbo Offline
Gunslinger

I think the looks are just fine.

At least it's not silver, now THAT would be an eyesore!

- Mike

[This message has been edited by Turbo (edited June 12, 2002).]

#37343 - 06/13/02 12:34 AM Re: sound & vision review
TKJOE Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
I just looked at the AVM 20 on the net and I think it looks awful way too man buttons. The Rotel seems to have a nice finish but what's with the symmetry of volume knob in the middle?

I just think that many people will like the style of the Outlaw more than the others just as some will like the others relative to the outlaw. One of the many reasons multiple products exist.

#37344 - 06/13/02 08:12 AM Re: sound & vision review
RLAU Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NY, NY, USA
i think audio gear is like cars.

its nice to have a car that does 100 mph with ease. it's even nicer if the car is good looking.

#37345 - 06/14/02 09:48 AM Re: sound & vision review
AndersP Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Porsgrunn, Norway
Hi.
I´m also inclined to the opinion above about cars. I mean is there anything cooler than cars that does 100 mph easy, but looks like your grandmas Honda? ( And cost like it )

Bose - products illustrates this so clear I think, when the design department take such a big bite out of the budget that there is just change left for the sound.

Smart Little Lena: Congratulations with becoming an Outlaw. You write such funny stuff. Keep it up!!

\\Anders

#37346 - 06/14/02 12:35 PM Re: sound & vision review
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Quote:
Congratulations with becoming an Outlaw. You write such funny stuff.

...and some of that 'funny' I'm sure quite unintentional

Thanks, -Its nice to be an Outlaw finally, I feel for those still on the waiting list. Been there, ..Done that.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 70 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts