Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#36623 - 02/25/02 04:49 PM Did the beta test really do much?
azryan Offline
Gunslinger

Not to get people mad at me, but I was just wondering if the beta test really helped Outlaw at all, other than recently getting us all to shut up quite a bit about the very close (yet sooooo very far) release date?

I know some(all?) of the testers found some problems in thier units, but then they seemed to say that when they told Outlaw about them, Outlaw told them they'd already known about them.

I guess they "could've" found problems Outlaw didn't find, but did they?

Maybe I missed it, but did any tester find anything that Outlaw didn't already know about?

Also, what's with the 5 beta tester's being only 4 testers, and then really more like only 3 testers since the last one (is his name Gene?) the Lexicon guy didn't seem to get his till the testing was pretty much over and the testers were released from their N.D.A. agreements?

He, like the other testers, are giving out good info about how the unit performs, and nothing against them at all, but did the 950 really have anything that needed to be tested by then? He didn't get one with a better tuner in it or something did he? Not that I heard.

It just seems like Outlaw was getting some good word out there about the 950's performance more than doing the actual 5 person beta test they got hundereds of people to sign up for.

Also, I thought that delay for getting the 950 to work with the audio on some new dvd's like JP3 was smart, but then I heard that it only effects a few discs, and no further ones'll be made like that? Is that right??

If that's true, it kinda seems dumb to worry about a few dvd's when they'll still play with one of the other audio tracks, and since this thing's decked out with DPL2 and everything else, I now think the delay was worse than the 'getting it all right' approach.

Besides JP3 stunk. Great audio/video quality, but it's as horrible as JP2 was. And wasn't Atlantis one of the prob. discs too? That stunk just as bad. Such a horrible story and lousy low grade animation (where does Disney put all that money, 'cuz it ain't into art or script work), who cares if one of the audio tracks doesn't play right? Everything else you own and will own in the future will.

Guess I'm just frustrated here and stiring up trouble 'cuz Outlaw said we'd be getting our 950's much sooner than we'd guess, which I think no one could possibly agree with by now.

I've been a strong supporter of their very open P.R. reports (till recently), and understood/believed the reasons for the delays starting with the October release delay, but they sure have given several impressions over the past couple months that we were very, very close to actually getting this thing, and I know there's lots of us out there have this same 'impression'.

Every few weeks it sounds like it's 'only a few weeks away'.

But I guess beggars can't be choosers.

If I could afford to be ticked off I guess I'd get the Anthem, or a used Lex., but for that kinda money you gotta be really really mad at Outlaw!
Which I'm not.
But I am kinda ticked.

And just to save myself the trouble later.... thanks for your response gonk.

#36624 - 02/25/02 05:56 PM Re: Did the beta test really do much?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I work for a dotcom. Actually, this is my second dotcom. The first one could have made me rich, as I wasn't exactly in on the groud floor, but maybe floor 3 or 4 (maybe the 150th person to come on board... I had 25,000 options). But it didn't, it went bust. That's what most dotcoms do.

So this is my second dotcom. Why did I do it again? Well, because I didn't lose anything from the first, only the potential that would have been there. I lost my job but I found another. Had a few offers, some safe (banks) some not (dotcoms). So I decided to roll the dice again. The more times you roll, the more your chances are of having your number come up.

What does this have to do with Outlaw? I'm getting to that.

So, I make decent money at this dotcom. Not as much as the first (about 75%) but still good money. Enough to afford a nice car (Miata), a nice apartment in the suburbs, and some HT stuff. But not enough for an Anthem or a B&K or a 50" plasma screen.

But I'm in on THE ground floor with this dotcom. I was the second employee, but the first one quit a while ago so now I'm the top dog. If this takes off my salary for the past few years won't even matter.
And if this dotcom goes bust too, then I'll just find another dotcom, and keep doing that until I have a wife and two kids and need a steady, dependable income. Or until I get rich. Whichever happens first.

So, the point is, Outlaws, if you get the 950 out the door before my company takes off, I'll be happy to send you my money. If my company takes off first, well, then you know who's going to get my money.

I'm pulling for you, Outlaws, I really am. I like your philosophy, your products, and your quality of service. And I understand the reasoning behind the delays, and sympathize with you for it. But there will be a day when I WILL buy an Anthem or a B&K. And as for your next few products... well, there's a much better chance I'll be buying a DLP or a DVD or a high-end pre/pro from you, when those come out, if I already have a 770 and a 950 in my system and I want the labels to match.

#36625 - 02/25/02 05:58 PM Re: Did the beta test really do much?
JeffLH Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I was asked to specifically look at usability - and of course to report any bugs I found along the way. I think they thought they'd corrected most things during alpha.

Yeah, it was frustrating to find some things the first two beta testers had already reported. The Outlaws didn't tell me anything until after I'd found those things. I also found a real show-stopper that the Outlaws didn't know about, but manufacturing had already corrected.

Then I reported a couple of things as bugs, like the mute disengaging when switching inputs, and was told that they were features.

I do have two more bug reports in that they said they're investigating. Hopefully these have already been fixed too - but I'll keep reporting them as I find them, just in case.

I think there's great value in testing with a variety of configurations and a variety of ears. They're also getting many hours of testing for really low $$ - whatever our discount ends up being!

As much as I was looking for bugs or usability issues, I was constantly being asked how it sounded. Our beta units came hot off the assembly bench and we were the first to hear them. I think Scott has one (is that the 5th unit?) but none of the other Outlaws have heard this thing they designed and spec'd out.

I think they've gotten both good and bad press from us. We all seem to love the sound, but we've also reported on the limitations such as the universal speaker level and distance settings.

gotta run - it'll be interesting to read this thread tomorrow!

------------------
JeffLH

#36626 - 02/25/02 06:36 PM Re: Did the beta test really do much?
azryan Offline
Gunslinger

Jeff,

Dang. You reported a couple of bug reports in that they haven't said have already been fixed?
Hmm...What are they?? You are allowed to say now right? So please. Feel free. We're listening.

Matthew,

Miata? Nice choice! Got one myself. Forced -in a good way- my wife to learn to drive stick. Now I never get to drive it! Mine's Emerald Green. It's got a nice classy 'mini Jag' look to it. Hope you didn't get rip-off with the Bose package! I put in a set of Focal Poly-Kevlar's for much less. Too bad my little Rockford/Fosgate amp fills half the trunk! -hah

#36627 - 02/26/02 09:17 AM Re: Did the beta test really do much?
Azistoohot Offline
Gunslinger

Matthew: If your dotcom hits big, I doubt you'll be satisfied with Anthem or B&K if you can buy Krell, Conrad Johnson, Mark Levinson, or Jeff Roland gear with some nice Revels, Thiels, etc. I've heard some 100k stereos that were unbelievable (and some that actually sounded bad). It's rumored that a doctor bought 5 Mark Levinson 33's (which are individual amps, each weighing several hundred pounds and they run off of 220V) for his surround system.

Anyway, I'm just saying that if your dotcom hits big (like Priceline, for instance), 100k or even 500k might be peanuts for a home theater system.

#36628 - 02/26/02 09:53 AM Re: Did the beta test really do much?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Azryan:

Mine is Emerald Green, as well. '99, stick, fabric interior.

I did get stuck with the Bose, and some other stuff I didn't want (side sills, etc.) because I had to take one off the lot and they didn't have many on the lot. There was only one dealer close to me, and my '90 Taurus had just blown a head gasket (not worth repairing) and I needed a car ASAP. There were only two with stick and w/o leather, and I didn't want the white one.

Mine also has foglights, but they're dealer installed, not factory, so the switch is a cutout next to the stick shift and blocked by the handbrake. It has a dealer installed alarm, but it's not done very well (the brain is strapped to the bottom of the steering column and easily accessible, and the solenoids they used for the door lock make it kind of stiff).

I would have much preferred a special order car with the stuff that I wanted, but overall I'm still extremely happy with the car. I didn't pay much for the extras I didn't want, as the dealer gave me a decent price break and 0% financing for 3 years. So, it was a good deal. But it does have Bose speakers in it.

Oh, and a pack of cigarettes would take up half my trunk.

Azistoohot:

I disagree. If the Outlaws had their stuff out *NOW*, and I had $500k sitting in the bank from making it with the dotcom, I still think I'd go with the Outlaw stuff. I mean, price (at least value) still matters even if you have more money than you need. I won't be replacing my Miata with a Jaguar because I don't think Jags are a good value even if they are ungodly sexy. I also wouldn't replace a 770 with $5000 monoblocks.

On the other hand, time IS money. I'm waiting for the 950 because I have to; I don't have the money to do anything else. If I had the money now, I'd rather get a decent value, like the Anthem, rather than wait another six months for a great value. But I'd still probably try to get the best value available to me at the time.

#36629 - 02/26/02 10:04 AM Re: Did the beta test really do much?
JeffLH Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Well, I don't know how valuable it is for you folks to hear about bugs that will be fixed before they ship the product. If you heard that 100 things were corrected during beta, would you think it was a buggy product or that it is a well polished product?

But since we're all outlaws here...

The last things I reported were:

- On my unit, the VCR video input and output jacks are reversed. (The audio jacks are fine.)

- The 5-channel stereo mode sends music to the rear center speaker. This might actually be a feature(?) If you only have 5 speakers, you'd tell the 950 and it would turn off that rear output. And if you have 6 speakers, you'd never want to use the "5 Stereo" processing mode. Maybe they want the 950 to use all the available speakers? Or, maybe it's just a bug after all!

- The VFD Brightness and OSD Timeout settings are not saved when you do a hard power-off using the rear power switch.

------------------
JeffLH

[This message has been edited by JeffLH (edited February 26, 2002).]

#36630 - 02/26/02 10:31 AM Re: Did the beta test really do much?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
JeffLH

Thanks for the info -- I am curious to see what sort of things were uncovered. I'd also be curious to know what sort of experience Pat (psklenar) had when he beta-tested the 1050 two years ago, since the question of the role of beta testing in the design of products like this has been raised.

The Outlaws did mention some extra-careful checking of the early production units in the last newsletter, which would make sense if somebody got a beta unit with reversed video inputs/outputs on the VCR source. It looks like most of the internal connections are on PCB's, but there may still be some individually-made connections and somebody at the factory might have had a dislexic moment when making some of those video connections in Jeff's unit. Did the problem affect composite or S-video (or both)? Dan Hitchman also noticed a possible problem with the rear panel silkscreen ( this thread ) missing labels for in and out on the tape loop. The "5 stereo" mode is sort of odd -- I'd be curious to hear what the Outlaws told you on that one. It could be that the "5 stereo" and "7 stereo" are the same, and that which mode you use is determined by how many speakers you have?

As for the 5 beta testers that became 4, one of the beta testers (don't remember who) indicated that there were to be 5, but one fell through at the last minute. I don't know why Gene was about a week late getting his. The bulk of the testing took place in-house with the alpha units, but there is always value in getting a fresh set of eyes involved and putting a product in a real-world setting. That's a big part of what I think the Outlaws were after with the beta test.

Quote:
Originally posted by azryan:
And just to save myself the trouble later.... thanks for your response gonk.

I'm sorry, azryan, was I supposed to post in this topic?

------------------
Gonk

#36631 - 02/26/02 12:37 PM Re: Did the beta test really do much?
ukexpat Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Azistoohot:
Matthew: If your dotcom hits big, I doubt you'll be satisfied with Anthem or B&K if you can buy Krell, Conrad Johnson, Mark Levinson, or Jeff Roland gear with some nice Revels, Thiels, etc. I've heard some 100k stereos that were unbelievable (and some that actually sounded bad). It's rumored that a doctor bought 5 Mark Levinson 33's (which are individual amps, each weighing several hundred pounds and they run off of 220V) for his surround system.

Anyway, I'm just saying that if your dotcom hits big (like Priceline, for instance), 100k or even 500k might be peanuts for a home theater system.

If I had the money, a Krell processor would be at the bottom of the list -- I would stick with my Lex MC-12B.

------------------
Nigel Pond
SMR Home Theatre
SMR Forums
SMR Group
HighFidelityReview

#36632 - 02/26/02 12:48 PM Re: Did the beta test really do much?
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
I think in the ideal world, a beta test would reveal no problems at all, as the alpha test (or perfect design/manufacturing) would have cured them all. I think, from the fact that many of the testers were getting the "we know that and have fixed it already" seems to indicate that the alpha was pretty successful. I think back to some of the computer programs I have gotten in beta form. Ouch. I don't even think they try the software themselves sometimes. . . just compile and release. Of course I'm joking, but if you want to read some real fun beta tester info, do a newsgroup search on beta versions of operating systems.

The only question I have is why, if Outlaw knew the problems, didn't they fix them before the beta units went out? Maybe the time constraints rushed them a little, but I'd hope to beta test the 'real' unit, not the 'almost' unit. I've even seen some magazine reviews of various products where the reviewer would comment about some malfunction and then he'd say the new units are already fixed. Seems like suicide to me, but if that's how the game gets played, so be it.

I think the most interesting reads will be when the first 50 people have theirs and spend 6 days locked up in a dark room because they are so into it. That should make for a really good read.

S.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts