Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47915 - 01/14/03 03:48 PM Large/Small Vs X-over settings
GregS Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

When selecting a X-over setting at the 40-60 Hz range aren't you assuming that it is a "large" speaker? Isn't having the option of choosing a large/small speaker and the high pass selection a bit redundant? When I initially set up my 950 I had my fronts and rears configured as large. The fronts I had set at the 40 mark and the rears at the 60. This worked quite well for DVD's but when watching non-digital cable TV the sound of PL and ProII was very thin. It lacked any sort of punch even with the bass on the TV turned way up. Only when I selected the Speaker settings as small did I get any satisfaction out of the cable broadcast. I guess what I'm asking is that when the 40 or 60 setting is used does the lower range get output through the sub? What is the difference between the Large 50 hz setting and the small 50 hz setting?

#47916 - 01/14/03 03:54 PM Re: Large/Small Vs X-over settings
Scott Offline
Desperado

A "large" setting indicates to the 950 that your front speakers have a flat frequency response to 20 Hz and therefore do not require low pass augmentation. If you wish to utilize the 40hz (or any crossover point for that matter) you must set your speakers to "small".

-Scott

#47917 - 01/14/03 04:17 PM Re: Large/Small Vs X-over settings
GregS Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Scott!! I did not realize that the high pass is irrelevant when the speakers selection is set to large. One more quick question; is there any difference between channel calibration and Channel trim besides the fact that the calibration plays the test tones?
Regards
Greg

#47918 - 01/14/03 05:09 PM Re: Large/Small Vs X-over settings
Scott Offline
Desperado

Nope, That's it!

-Scott

#47919 - 03/29/04 01:22 PM Re: Large/Small Vs X-over settings
mck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Is this true for the multi-channel 5.1 audio inputs as well? Specifically when I don't have a subwoofer (the sub is in the L/R mains). For example, if I set the analog bass mgmt switch on the rear panel to "on" will the subwoofer frequencies below 80hz still go to my front L/R mains since they are configured as "large"?

#47920 - 03/29/04 04:13 PM Re: Large/Small Vs X-over settings
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm afraid not. The 6-channel analog input is completely separate from the digital portions of the 950 -- including the digital bass management settings such as large/small speakers. The analog bass management switch redirects bass from the five full range channels and passes it to the sub instead.

Do you have the subs in your mains connected to the 950's sub output?

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#47921 - 03/30/04 05:17 PM Re: Large/Small Vs X-over settings
mck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Gonk,
No. I don't use the sub-out on the 950. Instead, I use speaker wire from the amp to the L/R speaker and let the speaker circuitry determine whether to send the signal to the tweeter, mid, or sub.

#47922 - 03/31/04 09:51 AM Re: Large/Small Vs X-over settings
gonk Offline
Desperado

That arrangement will work fine for most anything you want to do (assuming you have the mains set to "large" and the sub set to "off" in the 950's setup), but if you are using a DVD-Audio or SACD player you are most likely losing the .1 channel from those discs. If your DVD-A/SACD player includes bass management for those discs, you can set the mains to "large" and the sub to "off" and you'll be fine, but many players (especially older ones) have no bass management for DVD-Audio and SACD. In that case, the .1 signal is being passed from the player to the 950 and then lost at the unused subwoofer output on the 950.

If you have true powered subs in the main speakers and are concerned about this problem, you might consider the possibility of adding interconnects from the sub output to the line level inputs on the subs' power amps. That would allow you to pass the .1 signal to the subs.

------------------

#47923 - 03/31/04 02:17 PM Re: Large/Small Vs X-over settings
mck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk. Yes, I can add a subwoofer cable (or I can buy the ICBM). However, this leads me to a couple of other questions....

1) If 6 channel analog input is not using the digital portion of the 950, am I also losing the distance settings? My front speakers are 14 ft away and my surrounds are 8ft. So, is 6 channel assuming they are all the same distance?

2) For the 2 channel bypass, does it also not use the digital portion of the 950? Specifically, am I losing anything by not having the sub out connected or does full frequency go to the front L/R? I have front L/R set to large and sub set to none.

#47924 - 03/31/04 02:39 PM Re: Large/Small Vs X-over settings
gonk Offline
Desperado

Some quick answers:

1) I don't remember at the moment; I remember seeing something about the delays being handled in the analog domain (which would allow them to also apply to the 6 channel input), but I don't remember if it was official or speculation.

2) I actually just answered almost the exact same question a minute ago. Here's what I typed regarding bass management and stereo bypass mode (copied and pasted from this thread ):

Quote:
When in stereo bypass mode, the main speakers get a full range signal (unavoidable, since the signal bypasses the bass management, which takes place in the digital domain). If the mains are set to "small", however, the 950 will take a copy of the signal, convert it to digital, apply bass management based on the crossover setting for the main speakers, and generate a signal for the subwoofer. This means that to get subwoofer output in stereo bypass mode, you need to have the mains set to "small." Some people are worry about the double bass present in this mode (the low frequency data sent to the sub is also being delivered to the main speakers), but the theory behind the 950's design is that if the crossover point is selected properly it is not likely to be an issue -- the speakers will not be able to reproduce the low frequency information that the sub is handling, at least not at any significant level.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts